Old Grey Whistle Test

Great show for people that enjoyed good music, meanwhile all the window lickers were watching Adam and his ants, and Zig Zig spunknick on TOTP.

Great show for people that enjoyed good music, meanwhile all the window lickers were watching Adam and his ants, and Zig Zig spunknick on TOTP.
TOTP was truly sanitised shite most of the time. The Clash and Nirvana did the right thing by taking the piss out of the mime show.

The predecessor was a show called
“Disco 2” iirc.

My memory of TOGWT was trying to stay awake to see Bowie or Roxy etc and having to endure stuff that Bob Harris liked, “the very excellent….” 😂

Oh yes, this!

OGWT was a great education for me as a kid
Tuned in one week to see The Jam and Joy Division were on too
JD never actually appeared on OGWT , but their appearance on Something Else was often used on OGWT re-runs for some reason.
In fact JD only ever appeared on Granada Reports, What's On and Something Else during their whole lifetime as a band

TOTP was truly sanitised shite most of the time. The Clash and Nirvana did the right thing by taking the piss out of the mime show.
A canny bit of OGWT was mimed like. They'd record the performance beforehand, then mime over it.
Great show, loved it in the very early 70s. That, and Jensens Dimensions on Radio Luxembourg.

This is mimed for example. Notice the phantom bass track.

JD never actually appeared on OGWT , but their appearance on Something Else was often used on OGWT re-runs for some reason.
In fact JD only ever appeared on Granada Reports, What's On and Something Else during their whole lifetime as a band

shows the tricks memory plays

I've actually checked my facts now and you're right - 15/09/79programme was The Jam, Jot Division and John Cooper Clarke

Quite a defining evening for me - I've got JCC's latest book on the desk in front of me

Back