Old Grey Whistle Test

Quality TV! went to see many a band at City Hall etc, that I hadnt heard of after seeing them on it.
Most of the bands from foreign shores appeared on it at the start of their tours--back then of course no social media so see new and upcoming stuff!
Absolutely. That's the way it used to be done.

I remember sneaking downstairs when my parents went to bed. Our TV was Rediffusion and had a headphone socket which allowed me to watch it undetected.

It was my first experience of many bands but this fella was maybe the most notable end enduring love affair that came from the show's simple format based on albums rather than pop hits..

so many great bands on there,remember watching lynyrd skynyrd,talking heads,sahb,the motors,edgar winter,meatloaf,alice cooper,bowie and many more.it was worth stopping up late to watch,bob harris and i think annie nightingale.

Used to watch regularly since there wasn't a great deal of music on tv, but as has been mentioned, it could be a bit like TotP in that you'd sometimes get nowt interesting on for weeks. Someone bought me a DVD a while back which I was looking forward to watching but there was some real dross on it (especially pre-punk).

Absolutely. That's the way it used to be done.

I remember sneaking downstairs when my parents went to bed. Our TV was Rediffusion and had a headphone socket which allowed me to watch it undetected.

It was my first experience of many bands but this fella was maybe the most notable end enduring love affair that came from the show's simple format based on albums rather than pop hits..

First trip over to The UK. Saw them at Knebworth that year. Brilliant.

Back