Old Grey Whistle Test

Remember staying up late to watch it now and again when I was young
That’s my memories of it marra. My dad played in bands all over when I was growing up in the 70’s and 80’s. Child care in those days was late weekend nights in pubs, clubs and venues all over with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps, sat stage side while dad was knocking out tunes. A weekend off for the oul fella was a few beers and watching the OGWT. Would be a treat to be allowed to sit up and watch it with him. Nostalgia might not be what it used to be, but have fond memories of the show.
Nice 😎

Last edited:
Always loved it if I was still up when it was on as a bairn and then watched it every time I was im the house and could comandeer the telly once I was in my teens. As a student I think The Whistle Test was on a Monday around 7ish on BBC2.

It's of its time and themusic industry it thrived on has changed beyond compare.

Later did a really good job effectively filling the gap but I tendvto watch what I fancy f6om it on iPlayer. It hss probably run its course, but if it goes I don't see a new format replacing it.

In the sixties Ready Steady Go was the show but Top of the Pops was also vital.

We all listen to music and find out about it in such a different way. For me it was TOTP, OGWT, The Tube, Peel, Paul Jones (I love Blues), Alexis Korner, Radio 1 and Radio 2 in general and a weekly music paper, NME primarily but anything I vould get my gsnds on. That is all gone..

Last edited:
Quality TV! went to see many a band at City Hall etc, that I hadnt heard of after seeing them on it.
Most of the bands from foreign shores appeared on it at the start of their tours--back then of course no social media so see new and upcoming stuff!

Back