Ola Toivonen - signing completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the entire football market doesnt think he is worth much money, assuming everyone else in world football is keeping tabs on players as well as us?

He is 29 years old, so everyone has had the chance to see how well he plays, yet the fee for his services is low. I believe the football markets setting prices are a very good indication of a players ability, and suspect if he comes that he will be another on a decent contract that we wont be able to shift when we realise he isnt what we need.
I don't, it's a minefield of hype usually. I know nothing about Toivonen from my own observations, but it's certainly true that players need to play for a team or setup that suits them, and as Pepe said, maybe Dick knows he can play the role he needs filling. Their real value is therefore what use they are to the team buying them.

I don't, it's a minefield of hype usually. I know nothing about Toivonen from my own observations, but it's certainly true that players need to play for a team or setup that suits them, and as Pepe said, maybe Dick knows he can play the role he needs filling. Their real value is therefore what use they are to the team buying them.

what was Michu Valued at before he joined swansea..hadnt done much, 27 years old..so plenty of time for people so see how he played

Last edited:
How about the entire football market doesnt think he is worth much money, assuming everyone else in world football is keeping tabs on players as well as us?

He is 29 years old, so everyone has had the chance to see how well he plays, yet the fee for his services is low. I believe the football markets setting prices are a very good indication of a players ability, and suspect if he comes that he will be another on a decent contract that we wont be able to shift when we realise he isnt what we need.
So every signing must be fought over between several clubs and cost north of 5 million quid for it to be any good?

If we do sign him, I think he'll be good enough. He's two-footed, a great header of the ball, strong, and can pass. He's not the quickest, but he's smart. I also think he'll be up for the challenge of playing in the Premier League more than he was for Rennes in Ligue 1.

what was Michu Valued at before he joined swansea..hadnt done much, 27 years old..so plenty of time for people so see how he played
Exactly. Few of us, if any know how the team is set up at Rennes. Maybe it doesn't suit the way he plays, maybe he doesn't see eye to eye with the staff. He may not be happy at the club. We may have found a diamond in a mountain of chod, who can tell? Truth is we won't find out until he gets here, assuming he does. Its all up for discussion. Saying that I'm against taking a player off at the knees before he's kicked a ball for us.

So every signing must be fought over between several clubs and cost north of 5 million quid for it to be any good?
I just think the market is a good indication of the level of any player. There are scouts aplenty, mass media interest and worldwide coverage of almost all players, and very few slip through the net and get picked up as a bargain.

Maybe he can play in a team set up for him, and maybe Dick is the man to shape that team for him. I hope that is the case if we do sign him.

Looks like a right handfull to me got some really good touches for such a big awkward lad

Any other sources reporting this lads?

HITC are the only ones that seem to say the deal is agreed and now latest that the medical is scheduled... They also claim that the sunderland echo confirmed that the deal is agreed and send you to a link on the echo site that says no such thing - just that we remain interested in the player...

Toivonen is an absolute pile of steaming shit and I say that from the perspective of someone that watched him when he was younger and we were linked.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ws/ola-toivonen-set-offered-newcastle-6284019

Honestly your better off playing Graham. Fletcher can hold the ball up, which is all this lad does.
I'm not as vehemently anti-Fletcher as most on this site but I'd still say he certainly doesn't hold the ball up! One of his biggest weaknesses, always trying daft flicks and tricks. Graham's stronger at holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

Exactly. Few of us, if any know how the team is set up at Rennes. Maybe it doesn't suit the way he plays, maybe he doesn't see eye to eye with the staff. He may not be happy at the club. We may have found a diamond in a mountain of chod, who can tell? Truth is we won't find out until he gets here, assuming he does. Its all up for discussion. Saying that I'm against taking a player off at the knees before he's kicked a ball for us.
Remember reading Bill Shankley saying, I could of went out and signed the best eleven players, but it wouldn't nessessarily of made us the best team. I signed players that would fit in with the style i wanted to play.

I disagree. He wants money to spend, Short says he'll only give him peanuts, he lowers his expectations and calls his former player to get him on the cheap. Pretty simple really.
Advocaat is being disingenuous anyway. Its a silly comment to say that spending £2M only gets squad players - the game is full of players who cost less than that and are great quality - Mahrez of Leicester cost £400K. Advocaat is playing a game and its affecting the morale of the team and the fans and its getting a bit tiresome.

Advocaat is being disingenuous anyway. Its a silly comment to say that spending £2M only gets squad players - the game is full of players who cost less than that and are great quality - Mahrez of Leicester cost £400K. Advocaat is playing a game and its affecting the morale of the team and the fans and its getting a bit tiresome.
I agree

Well that irritates me greatly. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back