***Official 2018 Coast to Coast thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have thighs like Mark Hughes by the time you're done. :lol:
I do already. My muscles were fine for the C2C, I just have absolutely nil common sense on hills, my fingers are still numb on my hands from gripping the brakes so much on the descents. I need to train more on them.

Cycling hills is the only way to prepare properly for the C2C. You can do all that flat cycling in the world and you’ll struggle on the hills.

That and practicing cycling hungover.
Unfortunately true. I did all of my training round Sunderland and apart from a few soirées up Tunstall Hill it’s mostly flat. Come C2C I’m pissing the flats in top gear, but as usual every hill was a 3mph granny ring grind.

I'm in Nunhead, SE15. Box Hill is 2 hours and 3 trains.

Richmond is doable, I'm right near Crystal Palace which is hilly but narrow and always full of traffic.

you keep saying place x is so many trains away

dont look at it like that - look at it as being its zero trains away but x miles away on the bike

you've just done the c2c so you know you can do a days worth of decent cycling - get up early on a nice day and ride the 25 miles to box hill, ride up box hill then ride the 25 miles back

(to be honest, a climb like box hill compares poorly to anything you would have done in either of the 3?days of the c2c)

dont look at it like that - look at it as being its zero trains away but x miles away on the bike

you've just done the c2c so you know you can do a days worth of decent cycling - get up early on a nice day and ride the 25 miles to box hill, ride up box hill then ride the 25 miles back

(to be honest, a climb like box hill compares poorly to anything you would have done in either of the 3?days of the c2c)

It is about one and a half hours to Richmond on the bike which I considered doable, the other suggestions were 5 hours cycle away :neutral:

I hate to put my bike in the car to go anywhere. I am lucky, being able to head straight off into the Durham or Yorkshire hills. but sometimes meet mates a Coxhoe if I can I catch up with them en route,

I hate to put my bike in the car to go anywhere. I am lucky, being able to head straight off into the Durham or Yorkshire hills. but sometimes meet mates a Coxhoe if I can I catch up with them en route,

I think I might start out with Richmond as it is lovely as well as quite hilly and work up to the more serious gypsy hill which is congested but more steep.

Just thought I'd say thanks to @Dave Herbal for organising a weekend of buffoonery - and provding some of it as well and thanks to @Framing The Moment for the support driving. Sterling jobs gents.

Aye well done to @Framing The Moment for proving that ACAB isn't true, well not all of the time anyway. Nice line in T shirts too, but he still wouldn't go and pick up my lighter from the pub 20 miles away.

And I can't think of anyone more qualified to organise a large slice of buffoonery than young Puddington.

Anything within a few hundred yards inland from my house makes Boxhill look like a speed bump--- i stick to the coast route normally although anything more than 30k south and the Mountain route starts again ( but if i make it to St Raphael) i can put my bike on the train to get back

Aye well done to @Framing The Moment for proving that ACAB isn't true, well not all of the time anyway. Nice line in T shirts too, but he still wouldn't go and pick up my lighter from the pub 20 miles away.

And I can't think of anyone more qualified to organise a large slice of buffoonery than young Puddington.

If he'd gone back for the chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back