Off stump guard

Just watching the Durham stream today and just about every batsman has taken off stump guard.
I haven’t played for 20 odd years so might be well out of the loop (in fact I am definitely out of the loop). Can one of you young uns tell me if this is the norm now and if so whats the thinking behind it?

Just watching the Durham stream today and just about every batsman has taken off stump guard.
I haven’t played for 20 odd years so might be well out of the loop (in fact I am definitely out of the loop). Can one of you young uns tell me if this is the norm now and if so whats the thinking behind it?

Umpired over 50 games this season, only one batsmen took off stump as a guard. He was eventually out LBW.

I know Alex Lees does it to negate the chance of being bowled or lbw to a moving ball. He backs himself to hit anything inside of him which would be bang infront (or bowl him) whilst the theory suggests that anything that beats his bat and hits his pad outside of him will be outside of off stump so he can’t be adjudged lbw because he’ll have played a shot.

Going to watch the Sussex stream this morning to increase sample size. Sussex opener Tom Haines on his way to 1000 runs this summer looks like he’s batting on off. Then has a small trigger movement which seems to take him further offside-ish if anything. Might just be camera angle though. Promise I won’t do a batsman by batsman update! Beginning to bore myself even.

Back