NUFC thread 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Supermac had said that SAFC winning in 73 was a disaster for NE football so imagine my delight when the big gobbed twat did sweet FA in the Final. Pretty sure he said he was going to beat Liverpool in his usual arrogant manner.

I was in junior school and wanted them to win as a North East team.
My mam, from Sunderland, who never ever went to RP, her exact words were :-
"I don't know why you want them to win, they didn't want us to win last year."
It was the last time it ever happened.
Was delighted Tueart scored the winner with that superb overhead kick in the LCF in 76.

Me da (RIP) was one of the old school that you refer, he loved his football and would go to the landfill to watch a team or a player that he liked and yes he did want all the regional teams to do well. Myself I can't abide the gravy stained gits and I am getting on a bit. I can remember the '74 Cup Final and passionately didn't want them holding "our Cup". We would have to give up the trophy but I wanted Liverpool to be the next holders.
Same here. My dad (RIP) took me to Roker Park from age of 8 but he was a mag from North Shields. He would go to Sid James's and just occasionally I would go but it was not the same.
As for the cup final 1974 Big Mac was a tit before (remember something about him going to show the world how great he was)and during the final and I wanted them to get slaughtered and they certainly did not let me down.

Question for the oldies here...

People often say that SAFC - NUFC rivalry wasn’t as bad in the 50s/60s/early 70s, and I seem to recall Steve Bruce when he was SAFC manager going on about his street in wallsend having red and white flags or something for our 73 final?

If it really wasn’t as bad then, then you can imagine there might have been a sentiment of wanting a fellow NE team to win.

so my question for those old enough to remember ( I was born 74 so only ever remember the hatred from the mid 80s to the present day ) ; what did SAFC fans think about the mags being in the 74 cup final? Was there any black and white flags in Sunderland, or did any Sunderland supporters want the mags to win cos they were another NE team?

Genuinely interested to know this , just occurred to me the other day when I was reading an article about 2 mags in 74 cup final who they reckon started the replica shirt trend for adults
I’m old enough but you’re having a laugh?

Wouldn't have known the mags were in the cup final had it not been on telly. Absolutely fuck all in the way of mag support where I lived back then. I remember Super Mac spouting shite in the preview then hardly having a touch of the ball during the match. Got his only chance late on but bottled it and fired his shot almost out of the stadium to the jeers of the Liverpool fans.

Question for the oldies here...

People often say that SAFC - NUFC rivalry wasn’t as bad in the 50s/60s/early 70s, and I seem to recall Steve Bruce when he was SAFC manager going on about his street in wallsend having red and white flags or something for our 73 final?

If it really wasn’t as bad then, then you can imagine there might have been a sentiment of wanting a fellow NE team to win.

so my question for those old enough to remember ( I was born 74 so only ever remember the hatred from the mid 80s to the present day ) ; what did SAFC fans think about the mags being in the 74 cup final? Was there any black and white flags in Sunderland, or did any Sunderland supporters want the mags to win cos they were another NE team?

Genuinely interested to know this , just occurred to me the other day when I was reading an article about 2 mags in 74 cup final who they reckon started the replica shirt trend for adults
Yep, me Da wanted them to win.

We wanted them hammered and there was no shite flags on display except maybe in the tribeless areas like shields,jarrow,durham etc.
None of this N.East team shite either.

He had Almiron for six months, and our form jumped massively because of it. :lol:

I've also answered your question; Benitez didn't always play great football, but he never took credit for it either. He always said it was about getting better, and that's what happened in a lot of ways. We recorded more points in the second season, the football (post-January) was much better, I'd say only bettered by Pardew's brief run with Cisse/Cabaye and co. He talked about wanting to improve the training ground, and to start genuinely aiming for the top half.

Steve Bruce talked about aiming for the top half, then when he felt the water rising he drastically changed his tune and said his only remit is survival. He's done exactly to us what he did to you - made out to the media like we're all f***ing barmy and hysterical. Between the 12th of December and the 12th of March we won three games. That's when he called us hysterical keyboard warriors. Now, sure, if he was a massive Sunderland fan I'd probably get that. But imagine someone off here saying that about you lot, after that record. :lol:

I don't like Bruce because he's everything I dislike in real-life. He's first in the queue when it's bowls of compliments, but when there's responsibility to be dished out he can't find his plate.
Can't argue with that, Bruce is a useless fat bastard.
However Rafa was not much better as the stats prove.

Spot on, those claiming they won’t be bothered or that they won’t win anything are just in denial. They are unbearable as it is look at last night the players posed for a photo asthough they had won the champions league and the fans on twitter were lapping it up. Imagine what they are going to be like when they actually win something! The only thing we’ve had to look forward to in the premier league era was beating Newcastle and the cup final. If this takeover happens any local rivalry will be over we won’t get close to them.
What takeover? Theyve been “tookowa” for the last 5 year.

Are these the two
Mags love to rewrite history
Wasn’t Alan hull wearing one in stage for lindesfarne before 74
I don't think you could buy Sunderland replica shirts before the 73 final but the sports shop who I can't remember the name of (Willie Watsons?) were selling red and white Sunderland Lookey Likey shirts with old fashioned buttons and collars. I definitely had one in 72 or 73 and may have worn it to the 73 final. I do remember the price though, £1.
There was plenty of hatred against newcastle before 74, some of the most violent fighting at derby games came in the late 60's/early 70's.
The Friday night before the 74 final I was drinking with mates in newcastle and to get home we did our usual trick of stealing a mini and driving back to Sunderland. This time though we chose a mini that was completely decorated in mag scarves, rosettes and little flags, we drove back to Town End Farm and abandoned it still covered in mag crap and with the doors wide open. I often wonder what happened to that car because next day it was gone. (if any police are reading this it is a completely made up story and it never happened, honest)

I remember the people at both clubs got on very well with each other. Rivalry but not nasty stuff. I am still in touch with Alistair Garvie who was my equivalent at NUFC. Two things I remember about the 74 final:

Bob Stokoe was on the BBC panel.

Both teams were interviewed by David Coleman and it was the usual stuff. When the interviews were finished, and just before they cut back to the ground, Shanks said aloud, "Did you see Joe? He is a bag of nerves!" Game over - brilliant Bill Shankly.

Last edited:
My dad (mid 70’s) always laughs when I talk to him about the stories of people in the north east supporting us one week then going to see the scum the following week. Obviously it did happen to a certain degree but he says most of the people he knew, wouldn’t even consider going to watch the mags back then.

Whilst it doesn’t sound like the hatred was anything like it is now, there was definitely no love lost between us and them in the 50’s / 60’s.

I remember at the time all the banter about a geordie team having never been beaten at Wembley (Sunderland were still Geordies in them days). And then the mags got spanked. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back