November voting - Effective Use of Negative Space

November challenge winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 votes for me - Clyde and Peachbum.

Clyde's is his trademark beautiful coastal shot, but like the twist of the vibrant colours being the framing device rather than the focal point. Something other-worldly about this record of a basically mundane activity that really appeals. Great work, you got it spot on. Just the right balance of movement and stasis.

Peachbum's is a flat-out great shot imo, my favourite of the month. More than any others it's very clearly taken specifically for the competition, using the technique to make a little piece of art out of the every day. I don't like that artificial borders Peachbum - your shots don't need em - but that's a very, very minor criticism.

I have genuinely found it quite hard to vote this month because there are some really good pictures that don't meet the theme (imo) and some that do meet the theme but don't grab me so much as photographs. So my reasons below - all in good faith as ever as we have new competitors.

2310 Return I like your very original take on the subject, I just find the photograph itself doesn't hold my attention, and I think I would have removed the colour from the usa flag and just kept the colour in the wallet.

tom tom macute I find I'm looking at Inverness rather than the turret.

TiredEyesYou are outspoken, so I am sure you can take outspoken back. I found this picture boring. I don't like your title. Your composition is lazy and you got lucky with the blue sky and sunlight on the face.

Amnorrageordie Like the idea of the poppy photograph in November but I can't see that it really meets effective use of negative space (NS).

not spavin I'm going to be critical first off - the white light at the top of the staircase falls off the side of the picture, it possibly was meant, but I would have preferred to just see it completely encased by the dark surroundings (even using the dreaded "frame" if you didn't have a photograph where it was encased). Having said that I think this is probably the best entry of the month - meets theme and is a pleasing photo to look at. VOTE

dsOrcoA very handsome model there dsOrco. I don't find it effective use of NS, the picture is stronger if you take out all the right hand side of the photograph (therefore indicating it wasn't effective use of NS)

Steeeeed I like this photograph, but I'm not sure about NS ?? I've looked at the photo a lot but I have to agree it is let down by the rope cutting through by his nose and eye.

ElliottI can't see the NS being effectively used, and too much post production for me. If I've got it wrong and the long exposure gave this effect then I apologise.

The Great SoprendoI like the idea of the negative space being in the centre a lot. The things that let the photo down is that black triangle of dark along bottom left of photograph, and are the blacks are a bit soft? (Do you develop your own film? Or is it done by a lab? ) I think it would be a bit more punchy if they were a bit more inky black.

clydeI think the theme is met well, but it is let down by the dreaded sloping horizon, and I would have asked the man in the dayglo safety jacket to have removed it for the photograph

wor kid telt me
Best photograph of the month easily, but it doesn't meet the theme - where is there any negative space?

Kuicki85I looked at this closely and it seems (though I might be wrong) that you have just blacked out all the photograph apart from the tree. I actually like the tree. But post production isn't photography.

ayesaneShould have so cropped on the right - vertically on her left shoulder. Would have got a vote then, it is a lovely photograph.

peachbum
Great use of negative space and colour - VOTE
Thank you.

peachbum - Am I looking at a plughole, wtf ?
Yes you are.

Peachbum - Yes, it's a plug hole. But i think it's a nice little shot. The black / gold / white colors go nicely together. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was a little less distortion from the ripples. Makes it look a little blurry.
I had blurry and not blurry, the blurry one was much harder to take. I was trying to give the impression of the water going down the plughole. :) My not blurry one is in my albums.

:):)
Peachbum: My favourite shot of the month. I would imagine you have hand held over a longish exposure for that – and my best guess is that you had to take loads to capture this one. Brilliant! Perfect even?
Thank you! What a lovely comment, I'm touched!

I only use a point and shoot. I did take a lot of pictures but that is a joy of digital over film photography. I had the camera in my right hand and was jogging the water with a toothbrush with my left hand. The colour comes from a shaving light over the water which gave the metal a warm cast and having the camera in sunlight mode rather than indoor.

Last edited:
:):)
Peachbum: My favourite shot of the month. I would imagine you have hand held over a longish exposure for that – and my best guess is that you had to take loads to capture this one. Brilliant! Perfect even?
Thank you! What a lovely comment, I'm touched!

I only use a point and shoot. I did take a lot of pictures but that is a joy of digital over film photography. I had the camera in my right hand and was jogging the water with a toothbrush with my left hand. The colour comes from a shaving light over the water which gave the metal a warm cast and having the camera in sunlight mode rather than indoor.

2310 Return - Too pretentious a shot for me to unravel, no negative space imo.

tom tom macute
- S'ok, I like it.

Amnorrageordie
- Does nothing for me

not spavin - I like this, I like the dark shadows in the emptiness - VOTE

ds0rco - Look at the concentration on his face, must have been Professor Layton.

Steeeeed - Very messy, rope across his face would've forced me to abandon this shot.

Elliot - Pretty but I suspect high post production colour boosting.

peachbum - Am I looking at a plughole, wtf ?

The Great Soprendo - I know you don't handle harsh criticism very well, so no comment.

clyde - I can feel the cold from here, done it myself but on Roker Pier in mid December, brrrrrrr - VOTE.

wor kid telt me - sorry mate, I can't see your entry - bad picture host ??

Kubicki85 - I like this but I'd of trimmed the bottom off, it looks like it's floating as is.

ayesane - Pretty girl.

Will have to just be content with having more votes and positive feedback than you:cool:

Nee entry from me this month but here goes -

2310 - An interesting interpretation of the theme. Certainly the most original and the explanation you gave in response to Tiredeyes probably wasn't needed, as I thought it was self explanatory. Welcome to the comp and don't let criticism deter you.

Tom Tom Macute - A nicely taken shot, and nicely composed, but for me it's a little boring and doesn't really do anything for me. Maybe if the shades of grey were a little darker and you ramped the contrast it might have jumped out a bit more.

Tiredeyes - I actually really liked this photo and had it not been so poor in quality (camera phone?) would have liked it more. Your comments towards other entries this month were neither fair, nor constructive. Given that people have taken time out of their day to keep the competition interesting, the very least they deserve is a little respect.

Amnorrageordie - Nice photo and fits the theme well. Just doesn't jump out at me. Would have probably got a vote if it were' for the stiff competition.

not spavin - draws my eyes in, and a nicely composed shot (again) VOTE

Ds0rco - Nice personal photo, and one of the hardest things to do (photo people). You've chopped off the top of his barnet, and theres that annoying distraction in the bottom right corner, but it tells a story and aside from the technical errors, I really like it. VOTE

Steed - Class photo. The rope is a little distracting, but I think it's a great photo and captures the mood perfectly. I'm really struggling at the moment in low light situations, so would be interested to know what the settings were that you used? VOTE

Elliott - A fantastic shot, one that I would be printing for sure. The most interesting thing is the "rainbow" but for me, that detracts from theme. So no vote for you mate. But still a fantastic photo.

Peachbum - Yes, it's a plug hole. But i think it's a nice little shot. The black / gold / white colors go nicely together. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was a little less distortion from the ripples. Makes it look a little blurry.

The Great Soprendo - Not negatively spaced enough for me mate. But it does draw the eye and if the rest was a bit clearer would have put you in contention for a vote - almost!

Clyde - nice colors and effective use of negative space, wouldn't expect anything less. VOTE

wor kid telt me - not enough negative space to get a vote from me. But other than that I think this is a great shot. Nicely edited and has a very industrial, murky feel to it.

Kubiki85 - chop off the black bit at the bottom and it would have been much better. well composed (apart from the bottom), nice colors, right time of year for the shot, just that school boy error thats cost you a vote ;)

ayesne - more ;) nicely lit, pretty girl, and almost a vote from me. As above with ds0rco, you chopped off her head... poor lass :cry: get in closer, push her to the side, and don't chop off her head and that's a belter IMO.

My sentiments exactly marra. I had better shots but I let my heart rule my head. Still new to this and was really chuffed with the photo:)

Been unable to post for a few days on here..... technical issues???? no pm's etc

anyway to those who suspect heavy post production on my image.

It has not been colour boosted, it was a 30 second exposure. You can tell by the silky smooth water and the colour of sky is also a result of the light polution. I have Pm'ed someone on here the images unprocessed in full size for use as a desktop wallpaper, I can provide the .nef files (raw) :lol:

I do however agree that my image doesnt meet the brief very well, I obviously didnt take this image for this competion this month (i normally do make the effort). I just decided to entry it after seeing someone elses pic of the cathedral.

I voted for steed, as i think the image uses the negative space brilliantly furthermore its creates a sense of the atmosphere from lumiere. Top Notch.

Out the the 3 that look as if they have a chance of winning this month I think clydes is the best, but i tend to restrict my votes to 1 each month. I have taken simlar images to peachbums when trying to capture a macroshot of a drip in my bath and have discarded clearler images :oops:... sorry but i don't get how it has so many votes.

On a positive note though i don't mind your borders and I find your indervidual feedback and contribution valuable.:-D

I have taken simlar images to peachbums when trying to capture a macroshot of a drip in my bath and have discarded clearler images :oops:... sorry but i don't get how it has so many votes.

On a positive note though i don't mind your borders and I find your indervidual feedback and contribution valuable.:-D
Thanks for the bold. It was a blurry plughole for a reason! I was trying to show the water movement as it went down the drain. The movement was minimal, so I used a toothbrush to jog the water. Here is one I took that may please you more?

picture.php

I probably got my votes because I met the theme?

Thanks for the bold. It was a blurry plughole for a reason! I was trying to show the water movement as it went down the drain. The movement was minimal, so I used a toothbrush to jog the water. Here is one I took that may please you more?

picture.php

I probably got my votes because I met the theme?

I agree @ met the theme. But IMO there are at least 4 images that meet the theme and are better images. A bit boring for me it's just a plughole, water or not sorry :lol:

Last edited:
I agree @ met the theme. But IMO there are at least 4 images that meet the theme and are better images. A bit boring for me just a plughole water or not sorry :lol:
That's OK by me. We all get different things from photography; some like pictures that are colourful, others like pictures of things/places they know etc, some like photographs by photographers they admire be it Henri Cartier-Bresson or Elliott. :)

That's OK by me. We all get different things from photography; some like pictures that are colourful, others like pictures of things/places they know etc, some like photographs by photographers they admire be it Henri Cartier-Bresson or Elliott. :)

"Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered" :lol:

Peachy and wor kid for me

Peachy I hope wins, and there's always one shot criminally underrated in the voting :) and that one is wor kid. A fine effort

Peachy and wor kid for me

Peachy I hope wins, and there's always one shot criminally underrated in the voting :) and that one is wor kid. A fine effort

Cheers marra. I've been well chuffed with the feedback from this months competition. Getting 5 votes is beyond my wildest dreams. I love photography me

I'll start off by saying that I found this month's challenge to be just that. The main difficulty for me was defining when the negative space added something to the picture. I hope I managed it in the end. 4 votes anyway, which is double my first go last month so I'm happy with that.

I only voted for one - Clyde. However it was difficult to pick that one above some other notable entries, particularly Not Spavin and peachbum.

I don't feel that comfortable critiquing all the pictures because some are clearly way beyond my current ability, but what the hell. Here goes...

2310 return - I'm used to getting dragged around modern art galleries so am totally familiar with people explaining what something is to me :-D However, this pic is not for me in the context of this competition, my dumb brain is looking for physical negative space, not otherwise implied negative space. Nice bokeh though.

Tom tom - can't see it on my PC for some reason. Can only see on phone and only as small icon so not fair to comment.

Tired eyes - don't think the NS adds anything to the picture.

Amnorrageordie - as above.

Not spavin - very nice but just slightly cut off on the left hand side which leaves me a little frustrated looking at it because I want to see the complete circle. Still a very nice shot though.

ds0rco - really like the soft light bouncing back onto his face. However, like other posters have said, top of head and bottom right corner.

Steeeeed (Me) - I quite like that there's a lot going on because there really was and this captures it, however taking comments on board the rope is a little distracting and I should have tried to get into a better position.

Elliott - As said before, not really within the definition of NS for me but a very nice picture. However, re the post processing comments, I was taking similar shots myself and a long exposure was throwing up these great colours, so I do believe it's straight out of the camera.

peachbum - managed to make a plug hole look interesting. Hats off to you. Love the lighting.

The Great Soprendo - what an interesting idea to make something presumably very colourful into this final picture. Really like this picture and will be using this idea with some shots I've just brought back from Berlin :-D However, the black triangle along the bottom is off putting.

clyde - gets my vote this month. Love the colours and the fishing rods act as leading lines into the negative space / back to the subject. I took a fishing shot at souter lighthouse for this months competition but on reflection I thought that's just a fat bloke fishing :evil:

wor kid telt me - as previous comments, nice but maybe not for this competition.

Kubicki85 - there's something about this just doesn't connect with me, just doesn't seem real. Could be part of a coca-cola Christmas advert or something. Maybe that's your compliment!

ayesane - I'm totally distracted by the face that the background colour (NS) is totally different either side of her. He left eye is blocked by the hair too and eyes like that should be on show :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back