NOVEMBER photo challenge - REFLECTIONS - discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was all over the place with my son and daughter. probably enjoyed being in the Cathedral with a tripod most, even though the display was poor compared to last time.

What are the opinions on having, for example, "JaneDoePhotographyLtd" on the bottom of the entries?

I think it could be offputting to the people who don't have company/personal logos to place on their photos - it will put off the amateur photographer perhaps - and it is these who we want to attract to the competition?
I obviously won't complain that anyone has this on their photo this month but what about introducing it as a rule that no logos or names should be on the photo from December onwards?
It is a kind of advertising too isn't it?

What say you all?
:)

Mine has a watermark cause it's linked from my flickr, I don't have a website though. Personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble of exporting a separate file and uploading it to a separate file sharing site to enter it into here.

Mine has a watermark cause it's linked from my flickr, I don't have a website though. Personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble of exporting a separate file and uploading it to a separate file sharing site to enter it into here.
OK thanks for your reply.
Would you not enter if that (no identity marks) was a requirement?
Is it very hard and longwinded for you to go to "my photos" to upload to say Imageshack and then click a link to post it on here? That is a genuine question! :)

OK thanks for your reply.
Would you not enter if that (no identity marks) was a requirement?
Is it very hard and longwinded for you to go to "my photos" to upload to say Imageshack and then click a link to post it on here? That is a genuine question! :)

The shot I've entered this month was entered on a whim. I'd got the shot uploaded to flickr then saw the theme this month and thought it met the requirement so posted the link while at work.

If it wasn't allowed to have a watermark I'd probably not remember to go on my home computer after I've been at work, re export it from Lightroom minus the watermark, upload it to photobucket and then post on here in all honesty.

IMO watermarked pictures don't put others off posting their shots. In regards to them being viewed as advertising, I understand that but I don't understand why it's frowned upon so much. This part of the forum is a world away from the main board and I think a little bit of slack should be given. Like when people post very specific photography gear for sale on the photography board and I'm guessing either AB or roger move it to the 'for sale' section. I don't see the need for that.

I'm listening. Am happy to go along with the majority view really. See what anyone else posts.
Me too, just my two pence worth, can't speak for anyone else. You should be commended for keeping the monthly comp going though. The photography board has been dead for a while now hence me starting a thread the other day about styles.

Paul Nelson has Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed on his entry! Doesn't put me off at all. In fact i just looked at his website and his fyass byuck page. Some canny shots like.

Edit. Just liked his fyass byuck

Last edited:
I think watermarks should be allowed, among other things it helps to protect the image against theft. Not every watermarked image belongs to a pro so they cant all be classed as promoting a business.
I don't watermark my images but I have been considering it and would be unlikely to want two images saved one with and one without.
As long as the watermark doesn't intrude into the image then I think they're fine

I think you know my stance on this :)

There's the practical angle, e.g. saving and storing different images, but also the image protection. Even though I disable downloading of my images on flickr, that doesn't work on here.

I also don't find watermarks in the bottom corner to be distracting...

Whey, if I was a bit quicker looking at my camera, I could have chucked my photo in...

Logon or register to see this image

It's a crap photo, and pushes the 'reflection' boundary, but I liked getting it. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back