Notes from Barnsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nilid69

Was at the Brewer's game tonight, original tickets. Awesome to see the bloke whose heart attack caused the initial postponement well enough to thank the Burton players and paramedics for saving him, genuinely certain I was watching him die a few months back.

Notes:

1.a.Despite being 2nd, the Barnsley ground is a mortuary. I'm disconcerted by how quiet the SoL is compared to days of old (Everton 2 years ago, don't panic) but comparably we have nothing to worry about. Depressing, frankly, I didn't expect it. Worse than Bramall lane which is always weirdly quiet.

1.b. Exploited wonderfully by Burton fans who have chants specifically designed to shame quiet grounds. Their loudest chant Always ends after 2 rounds, then you listen to how quiet the ground is when you stop dead then all go SHHHH. Love owt like that, me.

2. Barnsley has eight letters. Seems like a really short word. I was surprised, anyway.

3. Barnsley don't look great. Burton are decent and put up fight, but other than a couple of close long-rangers, Barnsley offered nothing. They mainly tried to hit on the break, which was a bit weird as the home team. They weren't awful, but they looked a lot worse than say us vs Blackpool, or Acringtons. A lot worse.

4. This is basically a rehash of 1, but if you've a voice on you and you have a chance as an exile to watch Barnsley, Luton or Portsmouth as an away fan, do it. I've never felt more like the 12th man than I did today, as an ardent mackem. When you're part of a sub-500 following shaming a thousands strong home support you can almost see it affect the game. Once we were over-chanting them they visibly gave up any realistic chance of winning.

5. Barnsley serve wine and there are no queues, sorry if you've read this far.

Reading Barnsley forums you would think they play like Barcelona every game. We aren’t playing well enough to get the points to overhaul them to 2nd unfortunately but would f***ing love it if we end up getting promoted and they stayed down.

Canny annoying how you put 1a, 1b then went in normal sequence from 2-5.
I aim to displease x

Reading Barnsley forums you would think they play like Barcelona every game. We aren’t playing well enough to get the points to overhaul them to 2nd unfortunately but would f***ing love it if we end up getting promoted and they stayed down.
Having watched them play a home game under the lights tonight, we are definitely playing well enough to catch them fairly soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I aim to displease x

Having watched them play a home game under the lights tonight, we are definitely playing well enough to catch them fairly soon.
Hope you are right, it’s interesting that 3 clubs in the league are still lose at home, the current top 3. I keep thinking we will surely lose at home but I guess the same applies to them. Hope we go down to Oakwell and stuff them, imperative we get selection right on the night. We know they’ll play into our hands but they’ll be saying the same about us. Likes of Leadbitter could be imperative.

I’m getting the feeling that Barnsley game could be similar to a game down there, under Keane

Very tight until two safc goals after the 60th minute. Helped us to finally hit the top in the 46th game that season

Just saying

Poor result for them. Their shot output was terrible compared to usual.

Cloughy seemed to have them sussed, honestly it was remarkably calm. If anyone was getting a goal tonight it was Burton, but a draw was fair. I suspect people thought it was a bit weird how much I enjoyed the 0-0.

WTF was you watching ?. Did Burton even have a meaningful shot ?. I know we was absolutely shocking last night, largely down to Burtons tactics, if I was a Burton fan I’d be absolutely disgusted by the way they set up having made the trip up to watch that, they got what the came for, but to suggest they could have won the game having only made it into our half, half a dozen times is ridiculous, in the first half Burton were fantastic at closing down putting pressure on us, but we continued to create chances and with the work rate BAFC were putting in it looked like just a matter of time before they tired and we took them to the cleaners, it was one of them game had we scored the floodgates would have opened, unfortunately Burton stuck to the task all night and we just never broke them down.

Old bloke near me summed Burton up perfectly, “these are best and worst side I’ve seen all season, brilliant at what they’re doing, but what they’re doing is awful”

WTF was you watching ?. Did Burton even have a meaningful shot ?. I know we was absolutely shocking last night, largely down to Burtons tactics, if I was a Burton fan I’d be absolutely disgusted by the way they set up having made the trip up to watch that, they got what the came for, but to suggest they could have won the game having only made it into our half, half a dozen times is ridiculous, in the first half Burton were fantastic at closing down putting pressure on us, but we continued to create chances and with the work rate BAFC were putting in it looked like just a matter of time before they tired and we took them to the cleaners, it was one of them game had we scored the floodgates would have opened, unfortunately Burton stuck to the task all night and we just never broke them down.

Old bloke near me summed Burton up perfectly, “these are best and worst side I’ve seen all season, brilliant at what they’re doing, but what they’re doing is awful”
Rattled :lol:;)

Cloughy seemed to have them sussed, honestly it was remarkably calm. If anyone was getting a goal tonight it was Burton, but a draw was fair. I suspect people thought it was a bit weird how much I enjoyed the 0-0.
Cloughy said before the game that he knew how to stop them playing. Looks like he was right.

Logon or register to see this image

Why should Burton come and go toe to toe with you? I know you’re the Barcelona of Yorkshire but not every team will just come to admire your unbelievable, amazing football.

Interesting how rattled your fans seem to be with Burton’s tactics, suggests it hasn’t happened often for you. We’ve had plenty of teams play that way against us.

Sounds like mags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back