North East Durham and Durham league merger

robkitchuk

Central Defender
A merger committee has been established. This is to see if there is common ground between both leagues. And to see if there is a way forward for merging both leagues.

Merger seems sensible to me, providing that clubs that fall on hard times still have the safety net of a lower division in order to fall into and that the league doesn’t treat the lower divisions like the poor relation when it comes to delegating umpires
Probably need to have relaxed rules on 2nd team in bottom div or two as well
Lot to be ironed out but broadly in favour

Aye, heard about this. Get a grade system in like the NYSD. It does work and helps teams moving up/down adjust to a standard only a little bit better/worse, rather than the massive leap up which takes years of painstaking planning to do it with any guarantee of success. I take my hat off to clubs who have done it but it shouldn't have to be so onerous.

I take it the north easy Durham league would become div 3?

In the Durham league the 2nd team league is becoming very poor these days. Teams struggling to get 11 players out. Only a few decent teams. The rest so very poor. Playing teams with 4/5 under 13 etc. I know players who just can’t be bothered giving their time up now to play 2nd team cricket.

Would be much better if 1sts play Saturday and 2nds play on a Sunday with 35/40 overs max per innings. Might attract a few more players?

Other wise I can see 2nd team cricket dying on its arse.

In the Durham league the 2nd team league is becoming very poor these days. Teams struggling to get 11 players out. Only a few decent teams. The rest so very poor. Playing teams with 4/5 under 13 etc. I know players who just can’t be bothered giving their time up now to play 2nd team cricket.

Would be much better if 1sts play Saturday and 2nds play on a Sunday with 35/40 overs max per innings. Might attract a few more players?

That would reduce overall participation imo because the (healthy) 3rd team leagues would be killed off.

Over 20 odd sides in hlscl over 2 divisions. This would finish instantly if 2nd team moved to sundays

I would keep Saturday cricket for 1sts and 2nds, don't see any problem with that. The issue I see is that enough people are increasingly less likely to want to give the whole of their Saturday across to playing cricket. So, at a certain level (say, where 2nd teams are struggling to get a 'proper' XI) and below, it has to be 40 overs which ordinarily takes 5 hours to complete.

Current thinking is division 1 and 2 will be DCL 1 and 2. Playing ssme format as now.

Division 3 is top of dcl 3 and top of nedcl 1.
Division 4 is bottom dcl 3 and bottom of nedcl 1.
Division 5 is top dcl 4 and top nedcl 2
Division 6 is bottom dcl 4 and bottom nedcl 2.
With division 3 - 6 playing 45 overs win lose format. With no paid players.

But that remains to be voted on. As is the whole merger idea.

Sounds far too sensible to be voted in! The main issue could be clubs in DCL 2 with what they perceive to be strong 2nd XIs 'dropping down' to play teams currently in NEDL 2 and/or NEDL 2 clubs thinking they'll be uncompetitive v DCL 2nd XIs. Could be resolved by DCL offering promotion for DCL 2 2nd XIs the year before this begins. I suspect it will end up with a new DCL 6 consisting of what is currently NEDL 2.

Moving 2nds to a Sunday would be a killer for us.

One issue that we've discussed is that our 2nds would be playing Win / Lose cricket, whereas our 1sts would be playing timed. So we'd be training young lads in the 2nds coming through that you get nothing if you don't swing the bat, whereas when they make the step up you need to try and change that mentality so that if needs be you can play for a draw.

One issue that we've discussed is that our 2nds would be playing Win / Lose cricket, whereas our 1sts would be playing timed. So we'd be training young lads in the 2nds coming through that you get nothing if you don't swing the bat, whereas when they make the step up you need to try and change that mentality so that if needs be you can play for a draw.

You can still get extra points when losing if you don't get bowled out and get 75% of their total in certain systems.

Sounds far too sensible to be voted in! The main issue could be clubs in DCL 2 with what they perceive to be strong 2nd XIs 'dropping down' to play teams currently in NEDL 2 and/or NEDL 2 clubs thinking they'll be uncompetitive v DCL 2nd XIs. Could be resolved by DCL offering promotion for DCL 2 2nd XIs the year before this begins. I suspect it will end up with a new DCL 6 consisting of what is currently NEDL 2.
Dcl top second teams will be playing NEDCL division 1 sides. So shouldn't be much issue.

They just adapt when they move up, the same as you do now between a Cup game and a league game

NEDCL clubs have voted to continue with the merger. Our league agreed to the format div 1 and 2 play win/lose/draw format, div 3 and 4 play 45 over win/lose and div 5 and 6 play 40 overs win/lose.
Let's see where it goes from here.

NEDCL clubs have voted to continue with the merger. Our league agreed to the format div 1 and 2 play win/lose/draw format, div 3 and 4 play 45 over win/lose and div 5 and 6 play 40 overs win/lose.
Let's see where it goes from here.
DCL voted for Division 3 to win/lose/draw which I think seems sensible. The rest of the divisions as mentioned above.

Hopefully all parties can ensure this goes through, there’s got to be give and take, not all take take take

Excellent move. I'm out of the loop with this these days but I take it clubs would not be prevented from moving up because they don't have a 'bar', even though the facilities are perfectly acceptable.

Back