Non-Mackems - Why do you support SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CramlingtonMackem said:
I think it really depends on what you call Sunderland, Are we talking historically as in as far as The Toll Bar and The Board Inn South and Town End Farm to the west. Or do you want to include Ryhope, Washington, Houghton and Hetton under that Sunderland banner
All those areas and down through the East Durham coalfields (Seaham / Easington / Blackhall etc) were always traditionally staunch SAFC areas, with Washington probably being the most "suspect" with the odd sprinkling of Mags in. These days, the core support is dwindling at an alarming rate.

Hair Flick said:
These days, the core support is dwindling at an alarming rate.

Didn't the same thing happen in the keegan era?

Once we've found some form again people will come back.

The other thing to consider is though, with football being on tv so much, will more youngsters be turned into glory boys, supporting Arsenal, Man Ure or even Real Madrid?

Why would anyone in their right mind "pick" Sunderland? I am now going to come round and (virtually) collect the sharp scissors before there is an accident.

Some of us were born into it and wonder what we did in a previous life to deserve it. :cry:

Me dad had a season ticket in the 70's and 80's. He used to travel to a fair few away games aswell.
There was no chance of his son being anything else than a Mackem.

I know i said it was because of my dad but in all honesty i think its 'cos we're all feckin idiots. :twisted:

smoker said:
Why would anyone in their right mind "pick" Sunderland?

Well seeing as Sunderland were the only Uni that would take me means I a bit stupid...

One reason that I took to the club so much was that all me mates were pleased that I was supporting the club... it didn't 'choose' to support Sunderland - it just happened (like all nasty accidents)

If I ever have kids (now you can hide the scissors) I will make sure that they support Sunderland. Simple as that.

smoker said:

If I had the choice of any team in the world I would still support Sunderland.

It may be am extremley frustrating experience but it can be the most rewarding as well (sometimes)

walesie said:
smoker said:

It may be am extremley frustrating experience but it can be the most rewarding as well (sometimes)

EH? ARE YE DAFT MAN? ANY CHOICE? SUNDERLAND? You're ferkin crazy. I'd rather support Real or Juve or Man U or anyone - SAFC are shite.

I'm stuck though

"Yes its true - woo hoo hoo - I'm happy to be stuck with you........"
£5 Luncheon voucher for artist, song and album.

BillQuayForever said:
EH? ARE YE DAFT MAN? ANY CHOICE? SUNDERLAND? You're ferkin crazy. I'd rather support Real or Juve or Man U or anyone - SAFC are shite.

I'm stuck though

"Yes its true - woo hoo hoo - I'm happy to be stuck with you........"
£5 Luncheon voucher for artist, song and album.

I live with a man ure fan, when arsenal lost against leeds he didn't know what the score was so I put text on, when he saw he just did a kind of muted "yes"

He's just found out his team had won the league & that was his reaction - a carry on more if we score a goal! He's not a proper manc but he's better than most - I think he's been to 2 games this century. Thats got to be a pretty souless experience

That song - we're talking late 80's aren't we? I can just about hear it, is it peter gabrial?

I'm really proud of my kids - they are at an impressionable age (most of their mates 'support' Manure, Celtic, Rangers etc.) and despite current circumstances are still asking for the new away strip!

I'm like I,Claudio. Got no reason to support Sun'lun. No family there, nothing. Got involved when some mates of mine were putting together a footy pool (one quarter per point -- high stakes!) and I had to pick between Derby, Saints, and Sunderland. The Sunderland story was most inspiring so I picked them. SKP was on form and Quinny was class.

It's been four years since and I'm totally hooked now. Even though I have no regional ties, I love the team and hope to make the pilgrimage to the SOL someday, proudly wearing my first home kit. And I will be following the lads into the Nationwide with head held, erm, high. No glory hunter, me. (And I bought the kid's kit for my son so he's got no choice.)

Funny thing is, the people I meet who know anything about football always ask me 'why Sunderland', but it's never with any derision. It's almost like, 'wow, yer dedicated'. And we are, aren't we?

I'm stayin' with the lot of youse. Wouldn't want it any other way. Ha'way the lads! :D

burchmackem said:
I'm like I,Claudio. Got no reason to support Sun'lun. No family there, nothing. Got involved when some mates of mine were putting together a footy pool (one quarter per point -- high stakes!) and I had to pick between Derby, Saints, and Sunderland. The Sunderland story was most inspiring so I picked them. SKP was on form and Quinny was class.

It's been four years since and I'm totally hooked now. Even though I have no regional ties, I love the team and hope to make the pilgrimage to the SOL someday, proudly wearing my first home kit. And I will be following the lads into the Nationwide with head held, erm, high. No glory hunter, me. (And I bought the kid's kit for my son so he's got no choice.)

Funny thing is, the people I meet who know anything about football always ask me 'why Sunderland', but it's never with any derision. It's almost like, 'wow, yer dedicated'. And we are, aren't we?

I'm stayin' with the lot of youse. Wouldn't want it any other way. Ha'way the lads! :D

Good on yer marra!

walesie said:
smoker said:

Same here, it could only ever be Sunderland for me.

burchmackem said:

Just out of interest, if you have no regional ties, who persist in the faux north-eastern dialect text? 'Youse'? 'Ha'way the lads'? I can't see you but you sound like Jimmy Carter... :wink:

burchmackem said:

of all the stories the two american reasons have to be the weirdest :eek: Class though!! :D

medina said:
walesie said:
smoker said:

So Matilda, how did YOU actually end up supporting Sunderland?

Picked them out of a book?

Like red n white?

Fancy Michael Gray?

I wanna know :wink:

Just out of interest, if you have no regional ties, who persist in the faux north-eastern dialect text? 'Youse'? 'Ha'way the lads'? I can't see you but you sound like Jimmy Carter... :wink:[/quote]

Well, "ha'way the lads" is more a saying as pertains to the club. I'd feel a right idiot if I came on and said something like "Hooray for Sunderland" or "Go for it, you soccer players that I like so much!"

As for "youse", who fekkin knows. When in Rome?

Really, tho', the only people who say "youse" over here are Northerners, from Jersey and New York and such. Carter would say "ya'll". :wink: :roll:

The Bandit said:
medina said:
walesie said:
smoker said:

Like red n white?

Fancy Michael Gray?

As Hair Flick explained, it was a mate of my Dads. He told me he supported Sunderland, i started to take an interest and it went on from there.

And by the may, its MEDINA, not matilda.

medina said:
The Bandit said:
medina said:
walesie said:
smoker said:

Like red n white?

Fancy Michael Gray?

As Hair Flick explained, it was a mate of my Dads. He told me he supported Sunderland, i started to take an interest and it went on from there.

And by the may, its MEDINA, not matilda.

Well excuse me!
:eek: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back