Non League Football

'Top of the table' (ish) clash in the Southern League Premier Division South for me tonight, as 5th placed Chesham United took on leaders Weston-super-Mare. While it wasnt an awful game, there was little quality and defences were largely on top.

Based on tonight's showing, both sides would struggle at Step 2. Chesham are on an awful run of form and Weston seemed happy to play for a point. The home team took the lead on 69 minutes when a corner was only partially cleared and, when the ball was lobbed back into the box, the right back, who had stayed up, headed in at the back post.
Weston levelled on 85 with a dipping long range effort from their number 5. A rare moment of quality in a dull game. Final score 1-1.

Especially Blyth 3-0 away to the league leaders
Crazy result that reminds me of when we beat Chelsea 3-0 away under Bruce. I think Blyth won consecutive away games after the New Year. Will be at Heed sf on Saturday. Must have a chance after recent results although I believe some players are cup tied.
Blyth .. 3 consecutive away games won

Crazy result that reminds me of when we beat Chelsea 3-0 away under Bruce. I think Blyth won consecutive away games after the New Year. Will be at Heed sf on Saturday. Must have a chance after recent results although I believe some players are cup tied.
Blyth .. 3 consecutive away games won
Me and the boy also have tickets for the Heed game this Saturday 👍

Crook v Thornaby tonight for me. A good 1 nil win for Thornaby who are battling to stay up. Crook didn't really do much. A couple of pathetic dives to try and win a penalty near the end were waved away. Some pretty obnoxious supporters getting on the refs back as a result. Gotta love the northern league. Thornaby managed by the crook management team from last season, speaking to some of their supporters he took over in January had the over haul the squad and is doing a good job. Canny turn out of fans from Thornaby too.

Newcastle University 0-3 Billingham Town. Northern League Division Two.

Admission: £5 (Adult entry, which included a match programme). Nowhere in the Northern League beats that!

Billingham's experience and quality came through in the end but not without a struggle as the University lads gave them a run for their money. First goal (well taken) on 65 minutes then two late quality strikes put a gloss on the scoreline for Town.

A few observations from the match.

Attendance of 42 ... the lowest for a Northern League match I have ever attended. Credit to the players and the volunteers who give their time and effort for the cause.

Arrived at the ground in not only daylight, but sunlight. Temperature in double figures (I only had five layers on instead of the usual seven), birds were singing in the trees around the ground and it felt positively Spring-like. The game didn't seem like end of season though as both teams went hammer and tongs for 90+ minutes with no quarter given. They were a credit to the Northern League.

My second visit to Essity Park in the last couple of months in my quest to visit all the Northern League clubs home grounds having previously seen Prudhoe play at home there. With both Prudhoe and Newcastle University using it as their home ground, as the "completists" amongst us know, you can't claim two clubs in a single visit, hence the double-take. It's almost like a quirky type of OCD. Those that know ... know. Those that don't ... think we are "mad as a box of frogs!" (to quote my non-believer wife).

Last edited:
Newcastle University 0-3 Billingham Town. Northern League Division Two.

Admission: £5 (Adult entry, which included a match programme). Nowhere in the Northern League beats that!

Billingham's experience and quality came through in the end but not without a struggle as the University lads gave them a run for their money. First goal (well taken) on 65 minutes then two late quality strikes put a gloss on the scoreline for Town.

A few observations from the match.

Attendance of 42 ... the lowest for a Northern League match I have ever attended. Credit to the players and the volunteers who give their time and effort for the cause.

Arrived at the ground in not only daylight, but sunlight. Temperature in double figures (I only had five layers on instead of the usual seven), birds were singing in the trees around the ground and it felt positively Spring-like. The game didn't seem like end of season though as both teams went hammer and tongs for 90+ minutes with no quarter given. They were a credit to the Northern League.

My second visit to Essity Park in the last couple of months in my quest to visit all the Northern League clubs home grounds having previously seen Prudhoe play at home there. With both Prudhoe and Newcastle University using it as their home ground, as the "completists" amongst us know, you can't claim two clubs in a single visit, hence the double-take. It's almost like a quirky type of OCD. Those that know ... know. Those that don't ... think we are "mad as a box of frogs!" (to quote my non-believer wife).

Nice ground Prudhoe. I never saw myself as a groundhopper, but you get sucked into it, I now hate the idea of visiting grounds twice, as it seems such a waste of time, however there are some grounds and set ups that are so nice, that its tempting to go again, I would put Prudhoe in that bracket, not so much for the ground, but the location, which on my visit involved leaving the Boathouse at Wylam at around 2.30 pm, and a lovely stroll along the sunlit back road up to ground.

Top of the table clash at Horden tomorrow, Horden CW v Boro Rangers. Horden still have to play them twice, think away game is last game of the season, hopefully promotion sealed before then, but I doubt it.

Nice ground Prudhoe. I never saw myself as a groundhopper, but you get sucked into it, I now hate the idea of visiting grounds twice, as it seems such a waste of time, however there are some grounds and set ups that are so nice, that its tempting to go again, I would put Prudhoe in that bracket, not so much for the ground, but the location, which on my visit involved leaving the Boathouse at Wylam at around 2.30 pm, and a lovely stroll along the sunlit back road up to ground.
Is that the one with the green seats? I think I played there once years ago
The boathouse in Wylam is a great boozer btw

Back