No roof survey when solar panels fitted

Anyone had experience of this before?

House has got solar panels fitted but the owner didn’t get a roof survey conducted or building control to sign it off.

Now I’m wondering can a roof survey be conducted with the panels attached. Can the calculations be done now?

How can we check the roof is structurally sound?
its sound. Don't need planning or building control sign off.

Anyone had experience of this before?

House has got solar panels fitted but the owner didn’t get a roof survey conducted or building control to sign it off.

Now I’m wondering can a roof survey be conducted with the panels attached. Can the calculations be done now?

How can we check the roof is structurally sound?

I would have thought the solar company would do a survey of the roof before fitting them, do you know which company fitted them?
They come under permitted development and don't need building control sign off unless it's in a conservation area.

I would have thought the solar company would do a survey of the roof before fitting them, do you know which company fitted them?
They come under permitted development and don't need building control sign off unless it's in a conservation area.
Went bust mate. Structural calculations need doing then sign off by building control. No planning permission needed though.

Trusses or rafters on houses aren’t designed to carry additional loads - in effect they aren’t future- proofed for the installation of solar panels.
That said the trusses are over designed to an extent and may take some more loading.
Where they don’t stack up I ve seen ply sheathing applied to the underside of the top chords of the affected trusses ( ie under new load) which creates a localised diaphragm effect to effectively strengthen the area.
So the remedials aren’t too onerous.
Worth sorting as if you ever sell , the search may ask for confirmation that the additional load has been considered.

Went bust mate. Structural calculations need doing then sign off by building control. No planning permission needed though.

Cost you just to find out if the roof is ok, Christine Smith, number on that thread above.

There will have been a certificate issued and i believe there is a central body for the industry where you can source a copy from .
Edit . Its called an MCS cert

Last edited:
I was going to suggest going down the structural engineers route....They will have contacts for any other works that may show up....Clancy Consulting on Newcastle...top notch and look after you.

Yeah but I want to buy it. Will Msc be enough?
Thats what our buyers solicitor wanted of us . Apparently it assures its been installed to standard by a reputable installer. You would presume that would include checking loads . Your building society might be able to advise further too.
I was going to suggest going down the structural engineers route....They will have contacts for any other works that may show up....Clancy Consulting on Newcastle...top notch and look after you.
Would a full structural survey cover it or just ask for further detail ? Maybe the latter thinking about it
Is it on an estate? Similar or identical houses may have had a structural survey done by the developer to determine load bearing capability. This would tell the solar company what they can fit.
Shout

Last edited:
Thats what our buyers solicitor wanted of us . Apparently it assures its been installed to standard by a reputable installer. You would presume that would include checking loads . Your building society might be able to advise further too.

Would a full structural survey cover it or just ask for further detail ? Maybe the latter thinking about it
Ask to speak to an engineer, explain the situation to them and tell them they come recommended. Mal from Sunderland. If they can help you , they will. I trusted them and never had any problems on really big projects and some of my own personal builds. I don't think the lad I used will still be there , John Stonehouse, probably be retired now but they reasonable and do help.

Ask to speak to an engineer, explain the situation to them and tell them they come recommended. Mal from Sunderland. If they can help you , they will. I trusted them and never had any problems on really big projects and some of my own personal builds. I don't think the lad I used will still be there , John Stonehouse, probably be retired now but they reasonable and do help.
@harmy

Back