No more FA cup replays

Over the course of the last four or five years replays have disappeared from every cup competition in this country except one. They have disappeared from all the competitions under the control of the so called smaller clubs. From the trophy, from the vase, from the league cups and from the county cups. Most of them have even binned extra time and go straight to penalties. If the “small clubs” think replays are such a good idea, why do they keep doing away with them?
Even the trophy S.F is only one game now - was a two legged affair. Only a matter of time before the Vase is - even though that competition is more important to the clubs than winning the league they are in.
Back in the seventies, when the League Cup was very much a poor relation to the FA Cup ( now there is not much difference ) every round had a replay if the scores were level.
Likewise FA Cup replay v Stoke in 75/76

Or two replays in 3 days v Derby in League Cup 73/74. Vic Halom hat trick seeing us through 3-0 after drawing at their place and at ours.
All great games and amongst my favourite memories. Also Chelsea 1992
Likewise FA Cup replay v Stoke in 75/76

Or two replays in 3 days v Derby in League Cup 73/74. Vic Halom hat trick seeing us through 3-0 after drawing at their place and at ours.
All great games and amongst my favourite memories. Also Chelsea 1992

Last edited:
long overdue
It would of been easier to have them removed from the league cup, but saying that it depends i suppose what side of the fence your on, it may be of benefit once we return to the premier league.
I think entry into the League Cup should be optional for the PL clubs. The main reason it was introduced was as an extra chance to keep a clubs season alive if they were midtable and knocked out of the FA Cup early on.
Make a good point 🤔

Last edited:

Back