No more FA cup replays

Much better when you could have second and third replays.

Far too much power in the hands of a few rich clubs.
I agree even though the only two I can recall involving SAFC were 1964 and 1967 and neither ended well for us. The first replay against Manu had one of our highest attendances ever though not officially.

Used to watch the final coverage from start to finish religiously probs up until they started doing the semis at Wembley.These days watch it if I’m in but certainly don’t go out of me way to watch it anymore.They have killed it .

Quite impressed by them trying to spin it by saying no more midweek rounds. Only one round this year was midweek (5th).

They’ve already announced that the 4th round going forward will be spread across Friday till Wednesday 😂

Over the course of the last four or five years replays have disappeared from every cup competition in this country except one. They have disappeared from all the competitions under the control of the so called smaller clubs. From the trophy, from the vase, from the league cups and from the county cups. Most of them have even binned extra time and go straight to penalties. If the “small clubs” think replays are such a good idea, why do they keep doing away with them?

Last edited:
Greedy bastards. They can say all they like about protecting players from playing too many games etc.... I don't care what the top 5/6 clubs in the country want to do to protect their players. I want traditions to be kept - not abandoned because pampered millionaires don't want to get fatigue injuries and some managers whinge about playing too many games in a season.
It's also a potential financial windfall for EFL and non-league teams, one replay can fund a lower-league club for years.
Does this mean that some EFL/Non-league clubs will look to ask to move the game to a bigger ground/the Prem team's ground, just to ensure they get a big pay day.
The game is fucked.

More giant killing if there’s no replays imho. The big boys almost always win the replays so if it’s to be decided on the day then I reckon the minnows have a better chance of going through.

I’d go one step further in that for the 3rd round only I’d have the balls in two bags and not one. Highest placed clubs in one and the rest in the other and draw one from each…..then toss a coin for H or A. Loads more potential giant killings AND gate money for the littler clubs. Plus the vast vast majority of ties won’t be between clubs from the same division which is always a pisser. Sorted.

Spot on marra.

Spot on marra.

Naaah. It was a part of the at the time 70yr war between the FL&FA. The main reasoning was that English clubs unlike the clubs of a few other nations playing in Europe weren’t used to two legged KO football so the FLC was meant to help them gain experience.
Don’t the Scandinavian countries have a system where the big teams are away for the first couple of rounds? Pretty sure I’ve seen that in Norway and Denmark

It's no longer the fa cup. Should be made to rename it. To not discuss or involve other stakeholders simply because they are poorer clubs is shocking. It affects the efl and national leagues much more than premier league clubs, yet they are the ones deciding. All so they can try and fill their banks with more games in the ever expanding amounts of European competitions.

All we have as fans of our respective clubs is our memories , the cup was a once in a lifetime opportunity for clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich , Southampton,QPR etc to try and get to a final , for those like me who witnessed our cup run in 82 and for your fans the days of 92 are stuff of legends , days out and wonderful moments
Todays football is all about celebrating being safe or coming fourth
It’s sh1te and the elite are welcome to it

Back