No more FA cup replays

It's ridiculous. You've got top teams with massive squads who are going on end of season tours as well as pre season tours in the far east twisting over fixture congestion

If they're going to make changes they should do something like not let teams enter domestic cups if they're playing in Europe or scrapping all premier league clubs from the league cup
I think entry into the League Cup should be optional for the PL clubs. The main reason it was introduced was as an extra chance to keep a clubs season alive if they were midtable and knocked out of the FA Cup early on.

More giant killing if there’s no replays imho. The big boys almost always win the replays so if it’s to be decided on the day then I reckon the minnows have a better chance of going through.

I’d go one step further in that for the 3rd round only I’d have the balls in two bags and not one. Highest placed clubs in one and the rest in the other and draw one from each…..then toss a coin for H or A. Loads more potential giant killings AND gate money for the littler clubs. Plus the vast vast majority of ties won’t be between clubs from the same division which is always a pisser. Sorted.
Meh. If we're drawing with Liverpool after 90 minutes I'd rather have extra time and penalties than go to a replay and have to try and beat them over another 120 minutes.

Much better chance of knocking them out.
Spot on marra.
Meh. If we're drawing with Liverpool after 90 minutes I'd rather have extra time and penalties than go to a replay and have to try and beat them over another 120 minutes.

Spot on marra.
The main reason it was introduced was as an extra chance to keep a clubs season alive if they were midtable and knocked out of the FA Cup early on.
Naaah. It was a part of the at the time 70yr war between the FL&FA. The main reasoning was that English clubs unlike the clubs of a few other nations playing in Europe weren’t used to two legged KO football so the FLC was meant to help them gain experience.

Last edited:
More giant killing if there’s no replays imho. The big boys almost always win the replays so if it’s to be decided on the day then I reckon the minnows have a better chance of going through.

I’d go one step further in that for the 3rd round only I’d have the balls in two bags and not one. Highest placed clubs in one and the rest in the other and draw one from each…..then toss a coin for H or A. Loads more potential giant killings AND gate money for the littler clubs. Plus the vast vast majority of ties won’t be between clubs from the same division which is always a pisser. Sorted.
Your suggestion would also keep the top teams apart thus giving them potential easier ties and also removing the jeopardy of having to play another Premier League team.

Your suggestion would also keep the top teams apart thus giving them potential easier ties and also removing the jeopardy of having to play another Premier League team.
I’m aware of that but getting money into the smaller clubs and giving their fans a chance to see the big boys up close out weighs that imho. 4th round draw returns to normal.

Spot on marra.

Spot on marra.

Naaah. It was a part of the at the time 70yr war between the FL&FA. The main reasoning was that English clubs unlike the clubs of a few other nations playing in Europe weren’t used to two legged KO football so the FLC was meant to help them gain experience.
Not for me, I like the randomness of FA Cup draws. Much better than the sterile seeding in other competitions

As I said , that 1973 the best match at roker would never have happened

It's a fair point but we are also talking fifty year ago about a time when the FA Cup was considered significantly more important to clubs than it now is unfortunately.

On the other side of that, we wouldn't have had to go through that grim night when we dropped our arses against Everton in the replay in 2012 and may well have beaten them in extra time down there to get to Wembley. Poyet might have played a stronger team at Hull as well if it's just a one off game.

Boro have won at Old Trafford and against Spurs in recent years because there were no replays in them ties, just don't see how this would benefit the big teams really.

Not for me, I like the randomness of FA Cup draws. Much better than the sterile seeding in other competitions
It’d only be for one round. The big boys versus the likes of Chester, Gillingham, Gateshead, Exeter, Orient, Burton, Lincoln, Wrexham etc every third round “sterile”! Givower

I understand that, and in our privileged (financial) position would agree. It’s the teams further down the pyramid I sympathise with where a replay can provide a massive cash injection.

I’m aware of that but getting money into the smaller clubs and giving their fans a chance to see the big boys up close out weighs that imho. 4th round draw returns to normal.

Just do the draw as normal and the team that's lower in the league on the day of the draw play at home, irrespective of which order they come out. It's what they do in the Spanish Cup.

Back