Nissan pension scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to people’s pensions if and when Nissan closes?aThe figures mentioned are rather eye watering and sound too good to be true for a company massively in debt and In trouble.
It’s days seem to be closing to an end but fingers crossed I’m wrong.

Anyone had the briefing today fuck me was like listening to David Moyes ! what’s your take on it ? They are gonna shaft us even more here with shift premium or overtime premium or something to save money

The days of golden pension's are coming to an end unfortunately, reserved for the MDs and CEOs.

People are living too long for Final Salary Pensions to be viable, which is both unfortunate and fortunate as the reason is longer life expectancy.

More younger people need to be aware of their options for private pensions, including the government backed Lifetime ISA which is a fantastic opportunity. Plus you can withdraw without penalties at 60.
Relying on Occupational Pensions, and certainly State Pensions will be a thing of the past before long.

The bloke who’s heading the scheme closure did the same at BMW Mini in 2017, he’s literally been brought in to do this. He watered down the scheme in 2018 already.
No doubt though, his Y&C`s will remain the same plus a tidy little bonus on top for screwing the workforce over.

People are living too long for Final Salary Pensions to be viable, which is both unfortunate and fortunate as the reason is longer life expectancy.

More younger people need to be aware of their options for private pensions, including the government backed Lifetime ISA which is a fantastic opportunity. Plus you can withdraw without penalties at 60.
Relying on Occupational Pensions, and certainly State Pensions will be a thing of the past before long.

Good advice but theres a fly in the ointment. All good and well if people have the money to put aside for the retirement years. With the cost of living these days many people dont have any spare income to save.

Good advice but theres a fly in the ointment. All good and well if people have the money to put aside for the retirement years. With the cost of living these days many people dont have any spare income to save.

They may have a sit down later in life and realise the 400 horses and pops and bangs wasn’t really worth it.
It’s a nice little pot when you multiply that by a working life.
YOLO as they say though.

Hmmmm?
Don't? or won't?

I know loads of people who twist about being skint, but see first hand on the expensive things they buy that they don't need etc. Most just need a reality check.
Owa lass is one of them, and it's hard work getting her to stop wasting money & get finances in order.

Bricks and mortar the best scheme now

Buy a property with taxed income.

Rent taxed as income , if your tenant actually decides to pay you.

Pay for maintenance out of taxed income.

Pay capital gains tax when you sell.

Inheritance tax liabilities.

or.

Get tax relief on pension contributions .

Employer contribution.

Ability to take a 25% lump free of income tax.

Pension not part of your estate for IHT iirc.

Aye , bricks and mortar is always better....

or.

Employer contribution.

Don't forget stamp duty which kicks in at £40k on BTL's anarl.

Not the cash cow they used to be.

If that’s helpful to buyers by stopping landlords hoarding huge amounts of property it’s for a good cause

I agree its good for that reason. But if you're selling your house & it's only worth & £40k-£50k you might now struggle to get over £40k due to this as BTL are going to be main buyers in that market

or.

Employer contribution.

Can’t argue with those facts but all it takes is an airliner to fly into a skyscraper or a fella eat a bat and the finance market collapses

Got the letter this morning with my forecast on
In the last 5 yrs it’s went from 28 to 24 now 14 what f***ing use is 14k a year man
I guess the point is, by the time you retire, everything is paid for. No debts.
A grand a month + whatever state pension you get - that's more than I'm going get, and I've been paying in 6% since the day I started working.

Thankfully there'll be 2 lots of pensions in our household.
Similar projections to what I was due in the NHS til they changed ours. Stinks like.
The NHS one stunk. Added about 4% contribution payment to my missus' pension, and at the same time reduced the payout by about 25%.
the new ones barely a pension pot its just like a f***ing savings account its that bad
That's what most are these days. Just Tax free s&s ISAs, basically. That's what mine is. Its shit.
Loads of schemes are now career average
NHS for one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back