Nikonistas - Lens progression

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's what I've just got + a Tamron 70-300 4-5.6.

Not sure what to get next! :lol:

Depends what you shoot I guess. I only picked up the lenses I needed for work. Apart from the 58mm 1.4 which was a luxury lens / impulse buy :lol:

Could all be going if things keep going well with the XPro 2 I've been using this week though...

Depends what you shoot I guess. I only picked up the lenses I needed for work. Apart from the 58mm 1.4 which was a luxury lens / impulse buy :lol:

Could all be going if things keep going well with the XPro 2 I've been using this week though...
Aye, love those photos you put on Instagram today.

So far I've went out and shot everything :lol:

Thinking a decent 24-70 to replace the kit lens, but I need something between that and the 2.8 because money.

Aye, love those photos you put on Instagram today.

So far I've went out and shot everything :lol:

Thinking a decent 24-70 to replace the kit lens, but I need something between that and the 2.8 because money.

I'm just testing it out at the minute but I've loved using it so far. If I can have one system I can use for work and play I'd be over the moon.

The 2.8's are great and unbelievably versatile but they're heavy and quite bulky. And expensive as you say. Maybe you should work out what you enjoy shooting first :lol:

Started off with the basic 18-55mm kit lens. Now got a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 plus a 2x converter. Also, I have just got the Nikon 18-300mm for the holidays.
Wide angle will be the next buy, I fancy trying some star trails and Milky Way shots. Happy days.

Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon Mk1 70-200 f2.8, modified to take a x2 doubler. If I only keep one lens, it'd be the 14-24

in the last year, the rest just sat in the case.

Got the Nikkor 18-55 and 70-300. Looking at getting a prime but don't want to put out too much. Is the 50mm 1.8g decent?

I've got the 35mm f1.8, it's ok, but I'd call it a specialty lens, I don't think I've used it in the last four years. F1.8 gives you a depth of focus about the same as the thickness of a sheet of A4! You can get the eyes in focus but the eyelashes out of focus in the same shot, it can be that narrow.

Recent camera improvements have been in the area of ISO performance, (loosing the noise). Rather than get f1.8 lens (unless there was a really good reason I wanted one - like the narrow DOF) I'd be tempted to spend my cash on a f2.8, crank the ISO up a couple of stops and get better DOF at the same time.

Got the Nikkor 18-55 and 70-300. Looking at getting a prime but don't want to put out too much. Is the 50mm 1.8g decent?
For the money it's difficult to beat the nifty fifty.

I've got the 35mm f1.8, it's ok, but I'd call it a specialty lens, I don't think I've used it in the last four years. F1.8 gives you a depth of focus about the same as the thickness of a sheet of A4! You can get the eyes in focus but the eyelashes out of focus in the same shot, it can be that narrow.

Recent camera improvements have been in the area of ISO performance, (loosing the noise). Rather than get f1.8 lens (unless there was a really good reason I wanted one - like the narrow DOF) I'd be tempted to spend my cash on a f2.8, crank the ISO up a couple of stops and get better DOF at the same time.
I wouldn't call 35mm a speciality lens mind. It's a very standard looking focal length and probably the most versatile prime you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back