Nightwatchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who have been the best

Graeme Welch told me a story when he first broke into the Warwickshire team and was asked to be the nightwatchman just in case a wicket fell. He said yes straight away so he could show them he was decent with the bat. With about 20 minutes left one wicket did fall so he went in. However at the end of play Warwickshire had lost 3 more wickets but Graeme was not out. Walking off at the end of play Graeme was really pleased he was still not out and went into the dressing room proud of himself. As soon as he got inside he got the biggest bollocking of his life. He was told his job as nightwatchman was to take all the strike and protect the main batsmen, not sit on his bat handle as they got out.
He should of told them they obviously weren't as good as him because they were out and he wasn't but I think they may of wrapped their bats around his neck. He soon went up the order and was certainly rated an all rounder.

Graeme Welch told me a story when he first broke into the Warwickshire team and was asked to be the nightwatchman just in case a wicket fell. He said yes straight away so he could show them he was decent with the bat. With about 20 minutes left one wicket did fall so he went in. However at the end of play Warwickshire had lost 3 more wickets but Graeme was not out. Walking off at the end of play Graeme was really pleased he was still not out and went into the dressing room proud of himself. As soon as he got inside he got the biggest bollocking of his life. He was told his job as nightwatchman was to take all the strike and protect the main batsmen, not sit on his bat handle as they got out.
He should of told them they obviously weren't as good as him because they were out and he wasn't but I think they may of wrapped their bats around his neck. He soon went up the order and was certainly rated an all rounder.

For some reason this idea seems to have changed now and the intention of the NWM is just to stay there till the close so that the batsman he has come in for doesn't have to come out and bat.

This makes sense because, lets face it, with around 3 or 4 overs left in the day, not many tail enders would survive that many balls at any time so why should they be in the firing line at the end of a day? To say that he is there to protect the fella at the other end, who has played himself in already and is a much better batsman, is an insult really.

I've never quite understood why, when a nightwatchman comes in and gets out straight away, teams don't send another one in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back