Niall Quinn tried to get Van Gaal in as manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAshley

Striker
"I don't know if anybody knows about it but he did speak to us, his wife spoke to us and he was just in between jobs.
"Everything was looking nice but he kind of got a bigger offer.
“I was dreaming a little bit but he was really good with us. He spoke to us, his wife spoke to us another time.
"We were just giving him the details of what the project will look like and it was one to one, really good, but unfortunately, he had bigger fish to fry."

I get some people never liked Bruce because of his Newcastle upbringing but I thought he did alright with us. I liked him.
He left us in a right state. Didn’t help Quinn saying just before he signed we had secured a world class manager or similar. Everyone’s expectations were raised to pre Phil Babb signing levels

Bruce started well both of his full seasons but we went 14 games without a win in his first and went through a similar run of bad form in his second meaning that both seasons tailed off quite dramatically. His signings for the third season were poor and he was rightfully sacked after a poor start. He was a whinging, twisting fanny who made loads of excuses for everything which is why he was never really warmed to.

Bruce started well both of his full seasons but we went 14 games without a win in his first and went through a similar run of bad form in his second meaning that both seasons tailed off quite dramatically. His signings for the third season were poor and he was rightfully sacked after a poor start. He was a whinging, twisting fanny who made loads of excuses for everything which is why he was never really warmed to.

His signings for the 3rd season (summer 2011) started the whole downward spiral. They were chronically bad given we still had money at that point. Raiding f***ing Blackpool and Birmingham etc for their relegated players and then being surprised we were in a relegation battle from then on

My problem with Bruce was he'd done absolutely nothing to warrant getting the job for the first time in years we had a bit money and we gave it to somebody who's achieved nothing. Ten years on he's still done nowt.

Bruce was an underwhelming appointment. I vividly remember the SSN yellow ticker breaking that Mancini wanted the job.

TBH, we got bloody lucky with the Sbragia appointment in terms of staying up. Most other seasons, we’d have gone down with the points total we got. We were dire. It’s laughable that the Mags went down below us. :lol:

My problem with Bruce was he'd done absolutely nothing to warrant getting the job for the first time in years we had a bit money and we gave it to somebody who's achieved nothing. Ten years on he's still done nowt.

Agreed. I didn’t want him and that was purely because I felt he was a very middle of the road manager who’d achieved nothing at the top level. He was doing well at Wigan at the time but not as well as Paul Jewell had done a few years earlier. Bruce was a really uninspiring appointment and it went the way most of us thought it would.

Agreed. I didn’t want him and that was purely because I felt he was a very middle of the road manager who’d achieved nothing at the top level. He was doing well at Wigan at the time but not as well as Paul Jewell had done a few years earlier. Bruce was a really uninspiring appointment and it went the way most of us thought it would.
That's said I sort of didn't mind him in a funny sort of way but the full thing felt doomed despite a promising start

I think his recruitment was ok. Bruce’s problem was that he always looked clueless in arresting bad runs. Each season he was here, we went on horrific runs and he looked out of his depth.
When we went for O'Shea and brown on the contracts we give them one or the other fine not both.

The striking department was his main problem. We lost Bent, Gyan and Welbeck in quick succession and ended up with turkeys like Ji and Wickham
I loved the fact he signed them then said he wanted to loan them both out straight away but was worried about fan reaction :lol: gyan going after the window shut was a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back