NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that would make the NHS sustainable and would be an easy fix. A small change to legislation which would allow public sector organisations to be able to claim VAT back in the same way that private companies are, thus ensuring a 20% increase in funding without any effort whatsoever. Why should Virgin Healthcare, Lloyds Pharmacy or whoever be able to be claim VAT back?

I thought it was the tar in tabs that did the damage.

A bit more shite in them than just tar fella.....

Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These cigaretteingredients include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Nicotine is highly addictive

I am hesistant to trust the literature regarding e-cigs being "95% safer" but they are undoubtedly safer than traditional cigarettes. They should be heavily promoted whilst traditional cigarettes are taxed beyond fuckery.

Well how's it whooshing over my head? There's other stuff in there that's just as bad.

You said in years to come e-cigs will be as bad as nicotine, obviously completely oblivious to the fact they usually contain nicotine now.

Also, it's the tar in the tabs which is really bad for you, not the nicotine.

It set sail years ago
No it didn’t. It was pushed up shit creek without a paddle by various governments since Thatcher. It’s being systematically destroyed, in order to make money for some bastard’s pockets.
I’m not saying that it doesn’t need an overhaul, but it could be savable with the right Govt.

people who drink alcohol and smoke shouldn't get free nhs treatment.
Taxes from both of those should go direct to NHS.

No it didn’t. It was pushed up shit creek without a paddle by various governments since Thatcher. It’s being systematically destroyed, in order to make money for some bastard’s pockets.
I’m not saying that it doesn’t need an overhaul, but it could be savable with the right Govt.

Taxes from both of those should go direct to NHS.
One day we may see that govt.

I can't see it anytime soon though.

I get weighed at every hospital appointment and I'm "told off" because my BMI is over 25 so I'm overweight.

One of the nurses weighing is massive. Doesn't seem right her lecturing people on weight what she's a lot bigger than me!

I had to prove my ID with Durham hospital before seeing the gastro consultant. Even though I've got a record with them for previous treatment, I still had to take my passport to prove I'm British and entitled to treatment.

My daughter and I both see consultants at Durham. Neither of us have been asked to provide a passport before being seen.

It's not just a few though mate. In fact I'd go as far as to say that "the few" are those unfortunate enough to be struck down by a genetic predisposition to some disease or illness. The vast majority of people being treated in the NHS (in my opinion after 25+ years of service) are being treated for poor lifestyle choices. By 2030 it is expected that 75% of men and 66% of women will be obese in this country if current trends continue. I see the consequences on a daily basis mate and the best thing the NHS and GP's can do is stop handing out pills and start handing out gym memberships and bicycles. People are literally eating, drinking and smoking themselves into ill health and an early grave.

Why is that a problem? On the one hand we complain that people are living too long and are a drag on society, while on the other we moan they are eating, drinking and smoking themselves into an early grave. Should we not be encouraging them with discounts on Mars bars and cider?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back