NHS staff to be vaccinated in early December

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife (no) said she doesn’t want it as some 2-3 month trial gives you no understanding of long term issues. She’s normally fine with injections etc. but doesn’t trust anything from the government at the minute

Wonder how many nhs staff have it with it being rushed through, would be typical of this crisis that it puts a load of people on the sick.
It isn’t government ministers who approve a medicine for use, it’s the MHRA. The kind of conspiracy theorising your wife is engaging in is why kids died from measles because their parents wouldn’t allow them the MMR jab.
There are risks to all medicines I guess, a kid of my age had a bad reaction to one when I was only 5 or 6 ( this was in the 60’s), but those risks pale into insignificance compared to the risks of not taking it which atm are dying.

The flu jab is barely effective though - 15% effectiveness. Better than nowt but ...

You did pick the one recent year it was a failure mind, normally around 40% for all ages. That said 40% isn't that great when everyone is clinging to the hope of a magic jab to get rid of Covid19.

The flu jab is barely effective though - 15% effectiveness. Better than nowt but ...

If you could stop 15% of flu cases with a simple vaccine, and then prevent even more because a not insignificant proportion are vaccinated, wouldn’t you want to do it?
You did pick the one recent year it was a failure mind, normally around 40% for all ages. That said 40% isn't that great when everyone is clinging to the hope of a magic jab to get rid of Covid19.

One of the issues the flu vaccine has, that the COVID vaccine shouldn’t have, is that flu changes every year and we have to guess how it’s going to look. Sometimes the vaccine is really good...sometimes it’s less so

If you could stop 15% of flu cases with a simple vaccine, and then prevent even more because a not insignificant proportion are vaccinated, wouldn’t you want to do it?

One of the issues the flu vaccine has, that the COVID vaccine shouldn’t have, is that flu changes every year and we have to guess how it’s going to look. Sometimes the vaccine is really good...sometimes it’s less so

I know little to nowt on the subject marra, the scary thing looking at flu jab data is it seems to work best on kids not the older people who need it. Not sure if this is the case but if the flu jab was made to counter swine flu it's still very good at that strain (90%) so that gives hope a C19 jab could be the way out. No idea if I'm honest.

I know little to nowt on the subject marra, the scary thing looking at flu jab data is it seems to work best on kids not the older people who need it. Not sure if this is the case but if the flu jab was made to counter swine flu it's still very good at that strain (90%) so that gives hope a C19 jab could be the way out. No idea if I'm honest.
Mortality for flu tends to be worst in very young and the elderly. It’s positive that it works better for the young and probably has more impact as they tend to be super spreaders so keeps the r down. Raw percentage doesn’t tell the whole story.

Mortality for flu tends to be worst in very young and the elderly. It’s positive that it works better for the young and probably has more impact as they tend to be super spreaders so keeps the r down. Raw percentage doesn’t tell the whole story.

As I said marra, it's not something I'm even remotely clued up to speak on. Was just giving a very uneducated opinion on the raw data after someone chose the worst year for an example.

It isn’t government ministers who approve a medicine for use, it’s the MHRA. The kind of conspiracy theorising your wife is engaging in is why kids died from measles because their parents wouldn’t allow them the MMR jab.
There are risks to all medicines I guess, a kid of my age had a bad reaction to one when I was only 5 or 6 ( this was in the 60’s), but those risks pale into insignificance compared to the risks of not taking it which atm are dying.

Not exactly conspiracy theorising, it’s far too early to be aware of any long term effects. Look at people who have deformities from injections during the 60’s and 70’s. Who knows what could happen with this COVID injection in 10 years time.

Should be mandatory

Of course your wife knows more than the expert virologists.
Smart arse, she also doesn’t have politicians breathing down her neck to get something out as quickly as possible.

The NHS staff seem to get everything for free and now they're going to receive vaccines first.

What about the staff who work in care homes?

It's become a cult-like ritual, everyone tries to upstage each other on how much they donate/give to the NHS.
Social care been eligible for free flu vaccine for years and lots still don’t take it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back