Newcastle RVI

The Onion Bag

Full Back
So, Guys, looks like I'll be spending some time going back and forth to the RVI in Newcastle to visit the Mrs. Has anyone got any tips on the best way to manage the travel from Bishop Auckland? I was thinking Metro from South Hylton, or park in Gateshead & walk, or maybe park at Heworth, but it looks like that's a short stay carpark.

I'll be travelling with the 2 yr old bairn so easiest options would be preferred. Any suggestions?

Heworth has got a long stay car park over the other side of the Felling bypass. There's a subway underneath to the station.

RVI has a multi story car park but I don't know how busy that gets.

Either The Gate car park, Grainger Town Multi Story or Times Square car parks are easy to get to off the Redheugh Bridge. You can walk to the hospital from them assuming the 2 year old is in a pushchair. There's other smaller car parks nearer but they get full and are more awkward to get to if you don't know the toon.

Don't drive through the city centre if you don't know where you're going. It's horrible for bus lanes and other restrictions and it's so easy to get a ticket.

Last edited:
Parking is free at South Hylton Metro station, but there's only a limited number of spaces. You could always park round the corner next to the GP surgery (not the car park on the opposite side of the road to the Metro as it's a camera-controlled, permit-only rip-off).

Depends on whether it's easier for you to get to South Hylton or Heworth, I suppose.

Claremont Street is always canny and pretty close, and obviously there's the actual RVI but no idea how easy/difficult it is to get a space.

Fwiw, St James isn't a terrible place to park. Easy to drive to, 15 mins walk at most and prices never used to be that bad. I know it's the Mags stadium but it really isn't a bad option.

Hope everything okay with the missus, wishing yous all the best

Pallion also has free parking and unlimited spaces.

But from Bishop, I reckon I’d drive, up the A1 and across the Redheugh Bridge and then round to the RVI that way. A Metro is £5.00 return plus the inconsistency in the service, weather when walking etc.

I’d go for convenience and park in the RVI multi story, especially with a 2 y/o. Parking charges are here but £21 for a week and £40 for a month is not too bad in all fairness.

RVI has a multi story car park but I don't know how busy that gets
When I used to go regularly, that was always full before 10am.
Don't drive through the city centre if you don't know where you're going. It's horrible for bus lanes and other restrictions and it's so easy to get a ticket
Definitely right. Thankfully the RVI route isn't so bad as you just go over the Redhugh Bridge and then go past that crappy stadium thing.
Depending on the times you'll be travelling, look into trains from Chester le street. They're not very frequent, but they're very fast.
Fwiw, St James isn't a terrible place to park. Easy to drive to, 15 mins walk at most and prices never used to be that bad. I know it's the Mags stadium but it really isn't a bad option
Yep. Usually quiet and cheap too.

Last edited:
I know it's a long journey time (90 mins) but couldn't you just get the X21 direct from Bishop Auckland to Newcastle, it stops at Eldon Square which is just a short walk up the hill.

The Metro from South Hylton or walking from Gateshead would both take as long.

If you are coming up the A1 parking at the metro centre car park next to the train station and jumping on the train/bus to Newcastle could be easy.

Hope the Mrs is OK.

So, Guys, looks like I'll be spending some time going back and forth to the RVI in Newcastle to visit the Mrs. Has anyone got any tips on the best way to manage the travel from Bishop Auckland? I was thinking Metro from South Hylton, or park in Gateshead & walk, or maybe park at Heworth, but it looks like that's a short stay carpark.

I'll be travelling with the 2 yr old bairn so easiest options would be preferred. Any suggestions?
Is there any particular time of day you will be visiting mate ?

1. Most importantly - hope your Mrs a speedy recovery to full health , and your bairn isn’t too upset ( or you for that matter )

I’d advise using the metro

Newcastle city centre is a maze of 1 way streets if you don’t know the area

May be less stressful to park at Heworth , only a few stops to Haymarket then a few minutes stroll

Last edited:
You could drive down the A1, then the A194 into Fellgate metro which I think has free parking on the Newcastle platform. I'd go Thinford way too to get onto the A1 instead of the villages/Durham City route.

Back