Newcastle FC (june/july2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many years did the inter toto football proficiency certificate competition run for, perhaps the certificate was handed back for the next winners like a proper trophy

That will be covered by indemnity clauses in any deal. The only aspect of the HMRC investigation that could affect the deal is the prospect of FA sanctions for illegal payments, previous cases of which have resulted in enforced relegation. Even that could be addressed by withholding some of the purchase price pending resolution of the investigation.
The purchaser would just price the risk into its bid, IMO. Indemnities and escrow money are faffy mechanisms

Personally i think this one is real. What nobody knows is whether the potential new owners intend to follow the Man City model of 'throw however much is required at it' or whether they will follow the current NUFC model of sensible business operations.
I would however hazard a guess that we will not be signing Mbappe any time soon.

well he is seriosly down on his investment in newcastle-ive no idea what cash he is making for himself.
I think he's maybe got massive Cash-Flow problems in general. Apparently he's closed a few Sports Directs at outlets. House of Fraser must be biting him hard too!

Personally i think this one is real. What nobody knows is whether the potential new owners intend to follow the Man City model of 'throw however much is required at it' or whether they will follow the current NUFC model of sensible business operations.
I would however hazard a guess that we will not be signing Mbappe any time soon.
Thing is, you can aspire to be as big a club as you like, but signing top level players means you have to entice them to live up here in the north east, and as everyone knows, the really top level players all gravitate towards London or the north west clubs. The choice then is to drop down into the next level of players where you will have a wider choice, or go for it by offering the best players extra money to tempt them here. If your new owners want to choose your 'Man City Model' you'll be required to throw north of quarter of a million pounds a week at your marquee signings, but to break into the top 6 you'll have to be paying most of your players that kind of figure to come up here, that's after you've pulled out untold millions to sign them in the first place. Its a pipedream, and would literally be a money pit for the new owners. Where did you finish this season gone 13th? At an extra £2M per PL position prize money, going up to 6th would get you another £14M , not enough to buy a player of the standard you'd need to maintain that level. I don't think your sheik is anywhere near that kind of wealthy, so it'll be plan B as you say, sensible business operations. Now I'd say the prime example of somebody running a PL football club as a' sensible business operation' would , ironically be Mike Ashley at Newcastle United, so lets hope the Geordie faithfull will be happy for the new boys to adopt the business as usual model, but somehow I doubt it. As soon as the sheik walks through those gates, ( well not those gates) there'll be calls for the massive signings to begin, and the expectations will go through the roof. Newcastle fans aren't known for their patience, I wonder how long it will be before they realise its not a new dawn, its just another foggy morning on the Tyne.

Last edited:
It has seemed to me for a few years now that Ashley has no interest in the on field fortunes of NUFC at all. He clings on to it in order to get his money back and he is prepared to hold on to it until he does.

He doesn't want to risk any more of his money so he keeps it within its means and ticking over on the field which financially isn't a bad policy but I believe that he would put his own interests before the Club's should the opportunity ever arise. He's not going to sell unless it's absolutely right for him which could take a very long time.

He's certainly not going to do an Ellis Short and take a hit clear the Club's debt and then leave. But there again he's not going to allow it to drop in to League One even if its just to protect the value of his investment..

Thing is, you can aspire to be as big a club as you like, but signing top level players means you have to entice them to live up here in the north east, and as everyone knows, the really top level players all gravitate towards London or the north west clubs. The choice then is to drop down into the next level of players where you will have a wider choice, or go for it by offering the best players extra money to tempt them here. If your new owners want to choose your 'Man City Model' you'll be required to throw north of quarter of a million pounds a week at your marquee signings, but to break into the top 6 you'll have to be paying most of your players that kind of figure to come up here, that's after you've pulled out untold millions to sign them in the first place. Its a pipedream, and would literally be a money pit for the new owners. Where did you finish this season gone 13th? At an extra £2M per PL position prize money, going up to 6th would get you another £14M , not enough to buy a player of the standard you'd need to maintain that level. I don't think your sheik is anywhere near that kind of wealthy, so it'll be plan B as you say, sensible business operations. Now I'd say the prime example of somebody running a PL football club as a' sensible business operation' would , ironically be Mike Ashley at Newcastle United, so lets hope the Geordie faithfull will be happy for the new boys to adopt the business as usual model, but somehow I doubt it. As soon as the sheik walks through those gates, ( well not those gates) there'll be calls for the massive signings to begin, and the expectations will go through the roof. Newcastle fans aren't known for their patience, I wonder how long it will be before they realise its not a new dawn, its just another foggy morning on the Tyne.

All very true and i agree with you (well most of it anyway).

Not all of us disagree with the current business model as some of us remember / accept that we were almost bankrupt.

Not all of us are impatient. I would be more than happy with mid table safety with the odd decent Cup run. We all have to accept, and many do, that we are not Liverpool, Man United or Arsenal. Never have been and never (probably) will be.

What i would say however is if the potential new owners have the means and the will to follow the Man City model the figures you mention will not be a barrier. Location will however.

All irrelevant until we see new owners at the cathedral on the hill.

I get the superstar footballers don't want to live in the NE argument..but is Manchester that much better?

I for one am open about players training in London and travelling up for club events and home games. Great idea, thinking outside the box.

I get the superstar footballers don't want to live in the NE argument..but is Manchester that much better?

I for one am open about players training in London and travelling up for club events and home games. Great idea, thinking outside the box.
Manchester has a little Lego land, it’s much better than Newcastle, and the city on a whole is so much better than Newcastle from my experience, admittedly it’s a limited experience but I could happily live in Manchester City centre, there is no way I would want to live in Newcastle city centre

Manchester has a little Lego land, it’s much better than Newcastle, and the city on a whole is so much better than Newcastle from my experience, admittedly it’s a limited experience but I could happily live in Manchester City centre, there is no way I would want to live in Newcastle city centre
Players don’t live in city centres. They are millionaires ffs.

Manchester is a shit hole like a lot of Northern areas, but they all live areas like Chester etc. It’s also got two established football teams, one of them the current Champions, the other being Man Utd which is one of the biggest names in football. If you had to pick between those two or Newcastle United as a foreign player, you wouldn’t choose the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back