New Zealand 🇳🇿 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 2nd test Wellington

Test cricket is alive and kicking, well done New Zealand. I’d rather this happen now than vs the Aussies, but as already mentioned there would have been a different approach especially if it was 2-2 going into the final test.

I’m not massively clued up on the finer points of the review system, but if England had a review left, could they have used it to check the wide? There are very few instances where this situation pops up, but it would’ve been interesting to see the 3rd umpires take on the situation.

No umpire decisions on wides cannot be reviewed .
The anomaly is appealing for a stumping because when the square leg umpire asks for a review the third umpire also checks for a caught behind giving the bowling side a free review.

And if the odd time doing that we beat 5/4 in a great game of football I will more than accept that due to the entertainment I getting.

Agree with most of what you say except this bit.

Defeats of any kind hurt. Whether it's cricket, football or a game of cards. True supporters are passionate about their team and although they won't win every game it doesn't make defeat any easier. Yes it's forgotten about later but it's natural to feel gutted.

As the saying goes - show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

No umpire decisions on wides cannot be reviewed .
The anomaly is appealing for a stumping because when the square leg umpire asks for a review the third umpire also checks for a caught behind giving the bowling side a free review.
But could the umpire ask for a review as they do for catches?

I realise I’m in shaky ground arguing against this. We lost and almost certainly wouldn’t have lost had we not enforced the follow on. That said I can understand the decision. We were 200 plus ahead on first innings playing on a wicket that we were told would be better to bat on as the game went on. A one innings game of cricket with a 200 plus head start against a tea lacking a bit of confidence. It’s not surprising given the win at all costs mantra of the team that they chose to back themselves by enforcing the follow on but they lost in part by not having a Woody in innings 3 and batting very poorly this morning. I think if they had their time again they would still probably do the same thing.

I agree, we were in a strong position and it seemed the correct decision. I feel like we’re wilfully ignoring how impressively NZ performed.

A moment of madness lost the match when Root pushed for a single that wasn’t there.

We gave ourselves the best chance to win the game no doubt about it imo by enforcing the follow on

And yes by enforcing the follow on we also have ourselves the best chance of losing the game.

This team is always looking at wins over draws which is great imo.

I did hurt mate.

But the point here I think is it wasn’t as important match as a World Cup final and if it was such as last game in the Ashes probably a different decision would have been made.

I look at it entirely different in the fact it’s like watching my football team playing brilliant entertaining football week in week out scoring loads of goals and winning loads of matches.

And if the odd time doing that we beat 5/4 in a great game of football I will more than accept that due to the entertainment I getting.
Knowing that when more important crucial matches come along they might be a little more careful say a cup final
I disagree that it was our best chance to win the match tbh and I said it at the time in this thread. Always hard batting last.

This. It isn't our job to entertain New Zealand spectators
Fair enough. We could have bored the tits off the Oakustan public ang got a credible 0-0 draw as many have done in the past. Our team is good, it’s entertaining and it will gamble to win games. It will open itself up to criticism off some but that goes with the territory.

I disagree that it was our best chance to win the match tbh and I said it at the time in this thread. Always hard batting last.

Depends on different wickets and different conditions mate traditionally this wicket has been easier than most batting last and with rain about the team wanted to give themselves best chance of winning

Agree with most of what you say except this bit.

Defeats of any kind hurt. Whether it's cricket, football or a game of cards. True supporters are passionate about their team and although they won't win every game it doesn't make defeat any easier. Yes it's forgotten about later but it's natural to feel gutted.

As the saying goes - show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

I agree with most of that apart mate from the last bit.

It does hurt totally appreciate your point, but you can be gutted and appreciate the good play of the other team at the same time

The second test match at Edgbaston in 2005 is a iconic moment for me, where Flintoff went over to Brett Lee who was on his knees.

To say well played ,Brett Lee immediately appreciated that and was a good loser.

And Brett Lee was not a loser.

Sport is about giving your all on the pitch, but after the game shaking their hand and saying well played mate.

At least that’s how I look at it mate.

You can be a good loser after the game but give your all on the pitch

Last edited:
Wow.
Well done New Zealand - THIS is what Test cricket is about. It's hard, competitive and teams need to fight for the win. There's no doubt a hard fought win is appreciated 1000 times more than a roll over. NZ will be feeling on top of the world now.

Big win for the format. Rightly.

Hard luck Stokes and England, so close and there are many if only's and I've read a few further up. I'll add another, if Stokes hadn't knackered his knee good and proper he would have been able to bat, at least better than Hop Along Cassidy.

btw Stokes seems to have gained a bit of weight, no doubt he's fit but he looks bigger than a brick netty, extra weight can't help his knee. (I wonder what now for Stokes an operation? Can he take up his lucrative IPL contract?

Back