New Wear Bridge tower ready for shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it not have been built in Britain like?

I know it would've cost twice as much, taken three times as long but if it's not British it can fuck off.

Yes, it could even have been built here in Sunderland using local labour.
Plenty of room at the mouth of the Wear where the dry dock is.

Also the likes of OGN on the Tyne have facilities to do this as well as OSB on the Tees.

There's the dry dock at Pallion too. Nearly 200m long iirc and the bridge pylon is only half that.

Wouldn't that be against EU anti competition laws ? this is sarcasm before some boring bastard starts going on about it

Yes, it could even have been built here in Sunderland using local labour.
Plenty of room at the mouth of the Wear where the dry dock is.

Also the likes of OGN on the Tyne have facilities to do this as well as OSB on the Tees.

It's a public funded development so will have to be tendered out to whoever can deliver it to the best efficiency to the tax payer. Something like that anyway.

It would have been an EU tender but Belgium has a history of ahem helping their industries secure work like this with. Which is totally against the rules....

3000 wind turbines going into the north sea in the next 10 years - paid for by the UK consumer. Pretty much being built anywhere but the UK.

Fuck the EU tbf.

I'm sure on a promotional video of the bridge before it was built there was images of the structure being made in Pallion and transported the short distance up the river on barges.

They cannot open the dock gates as Sunderland Council won't dredge the river that far up.

I saw them open around 6 years ago when the Manxman was in and they had work on a smaller vessel (Life boat rings a bell).

I assume that can get the barge up the river with the pylon, so it would be localised dredging to create a pocket around the dock gates only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back