New PL FFP rules

Couldn't give a fuck. It's going one way, the quicker they get there the better. Fuck them all off to a super league asap please, they're welcome to each other.
I`m with this like, get them away all of them, mags included as they will want it all and hit the reset button in football (just means we might be forced to admit boro will be our new derby)

I`m with this like, get them away all of them, mags included as they will want it all and hit the reset button in football (just means we might be forced to admit boro will be our new derby)
You don’t get it do you….if there is ever a super league it’ll be played midweek. Liverpool, City, Man U, Arsenal will continue to play in the domestic league. A super league will only happen if sanctioned by UEFA and the PL.

With either approach the oil state clubs will just keep increasing sponsorship. I’m not sure what the answer to the issue is though.

I actually don’t think Newcastle would be happy with this proposed change.

There are rules which will limit them over inflating sponsorship, allowing them to just get Saudis to give unlimited funds under shirt sponsorship etc.

What it would mean though, is that Newcastle could not get near competing with Spurs financially, as the revenue the Tottenham Hotspur stadium generates far exceeds what Newcastle can generate.

You don’t get it do you….if there is ever a super league it’ll be played midweek. Liverpool, City, Man U, Arsenal will continue to play in the domestic league. A super league will only happen if sanctioned by UEFA and the PL.
People DO get it. They’re just expressing their desire for the greedy clubs to fuck off into another league and leave the decent people to themselves.

People DO get it. They’re just expressing their desire for the greedy clubs to fuck off into another league and leave the decent people to themselves.
They won’t, they’ll stay as long as the PL gravy train is there……..the new FFP rules and 70% spending on transfers and wages is going to impact all leagues as it’s being adopted by the EFL.

I honestly have no idea how to fix it.

Even F1, the shining example of throwing money down the toilet to buy success, were able to bring in a fairly robust cost cap. But F1 isn't competing with other series - it stands alone. Individual football leagues compete with eachother, and you can't really impose this type of thing unilaterally.

They won’t, they’ll stay as long as the PL gravy train is there……..the new FFP rules and 70% spending on transfers and wages is going to impact all leagues as it’s being adopted by the EFL.

That doesn't mean we don't want them gone. The financial imbalance in the game is ruining it. A perfect sporting competition is one where, so far as possible, all entrants have a decent shot at winning. That's why racing has a handicap system. Football currently is an inverted handicap. The PL is about as imperfect a system as can be devised.

The only fair way is a fee and wage cap but it'll never happen as it's against business law and human rights.

Games dead I'm afraid

You could limit a wage bill for the whole club without limiting what a player could earn but it'll never happen

There are rules which will limit them over inflating sponsorship, allowing them to just get Saudis to give unlimited funds under shirt sponsorship etc.

What it would mean though, is that Newcastle could not get near competing with Spurs financially, as the revenue the Tottenham Hotspur stadium generates far exceeds what Newcastle can generate.

Total opposite.

They can run at a loss it's now turnover. They'd just spend 200m every season and he happy to take a loss. They'd eventually win something sadly

Last edited:

Spurs make big money per game don't they? They also have the NFL pitch and I've no doubt they make money from other things. The mags will be able to make more from match day though as some fans are finding out this means higher prices but again, will be nowhere near what Spurs charge given the affluency in the North East compared to London.

In 2022/23, Spurs got £106m in match receipts compared to £28m from the mags so there's £70m straight away or £50m a season at new 70% rule. Hoy in the commercial side and again Spurs dwarf the mags so even with inflated sponsor deals the mags won't have the same spending power. The other thing to consider is that if the Saudi's pull the plug in the future and those inflated deals end, it could leave the mags well in the shit as they won't be able to replace those deals like for like.

The only fair way is a fee and wage cap but it'll never happen as it's against business law and human rights.

Games dead I'm afraid

You could limit a wage bill for the whole club without limiting what a player could earn but it'll never happen

Total opposite.

They can run at a loss it's now turnover. They'd just spend 200m every season and he happy to take a loss. They'd eventually win something sadly

Nobody will be able to run a huge loss unless their non-football overheads are enormous, as they'll be limited in the percentage of turnover and fees received they can spend on player wages and transfers - 70%. That makes it impossible to make huge losses.

Nobody will be able to run a huge loss unless their non-football overheads are enormous, as they'll be limited in the percentage of turnover and fees received they can spend on player wages and transfers - 70%. That makes it impossible to make huge losses.
I saw that post as I was wondering how that could be so thanks for confirming

Something needs to be done to limit spending. It's all well and good Newcastle and City spending 500million, but essentially these owners can walk away and leave a club unsalvageable.

Clubs with vast amounts of spending power also indirectly fucks over everyone else. It inflates transfer fees across the board year on year for everyone.

There needs to be a cap on stopping big clubs spending too much, or long term you'll have no competition, and agents demanding huge payments.

Even the American sports with huge wages and salaries have realised this

PL meeting this week to discuss proposals where you can spend upto 70% of your turnover in a year. This will replace the £105M loss over three years rule.

Surely this just cements the richest clubs further and Saudi will love it as they could just keep increasing sponsorship.

Thoughts?
It's not just about Newcastle it's about the whole pyramid, relegated clubs have a easy ride in championship , newly promoted sides will need to go into debt just to survive

But it's not impossible and the rule is 85% for the premier league. 70% for uefa.

If your turnover is 100m you can spend 70m every single season

The only condition is to have a working capital of 25m

Not profit capital.

Clubs like the mags can spend fortunes as long as they can secure lucrative long term sponsorships which they will.

It's to let clubs spend more not less.

The fact you keep quoting the incorrect figure says it all. It's 85% being proposed for premier league clubs.

The problem is use of working capital makes it's too easy to manipulate. Spending 100m can be seen as a direct 100m loss or it can spread over ten years and become a ten million loss for a season

You are extremely naive

The fact remains the mags can can spend 85% of a figure they can easily manipulate. It's laughable that you think this won't benefit them

The fact you keep quoting the incorrect figure says it all. It's 85% being proposed for premier league clubs.

The problem is use of working capital makes it's too easy to manipulate. Spending 100m can be seen as a direct 100m loss or it can spread over ten years and become a ten million loss for a season

You are extremely naive

The fact remains the mags can can spend 85% of a figure they can easily manipulate. It's laughable that you think this won't benefit them

It's not easy to manipulate as man city are finding now, you can only sponsor so much

Whatever is needed to allow Saudi money 💰 to pour into the PL coffers will be facilitated without doubt. All they are interested in
Will they? They've hoyed more at their own Saudi league so far haven't they and the amount they've hoyed at golf is massive compared to what they've spent at the mags.

Also bear in mind the mags are worth considerably more than what Ashley sold them for so what is the net loss for the Saudi's if they sold them tomorrow?

Will they? They've hoyed more at their own Saudi league so far haven't they and the amount they've hoyed at golf is massive compared to what they've spent at the mags.

Also bear in mind the mags are worth considerably more than what Ashley sold them for so what is the net loss for the Saudi's if they sold them tomorrow?
I wouldn't have thought they would make a profit in the investment currently.

Spent 500 million pounds on players, guess they would want at least 900 million to break even

Back