New gigafactory plant

It's old news though, been working on this for 2+ years. What we want is word on #3 which I thought this was for a minute
The fact that 200 million of funding for the gigaplant is happening should hopefully strengthen the case for RR to build here; at least I hope so. The Rolls Royce announcement is taking a long time but hoping no news is good news at least as far as IAMP is concerned.

The fact that 200 million of funding for the gigaplant is happening should hopefully strengthen the case for RR to build here; at least I hope so. The Rolls Royce announcement is taking a long time but hoping no news is good news at least as far as IAMP is concerned.

What’s your logic that phase 2 of the battery plant would enhance the SMR decision to locate nearby?

Good news, but I have been hearing of these types of factories setting up in the NE for years, yet as far as I know still waiting, will believe it when I see it.

https://www.rolls-royce-smr.com/press/final-shortlist-announced-for-first-rolls-royce-smr-factory

Would be great to see small nuclear reactors built in Sunderland, proper engineering jobs.

Sadly still waiting an announcement on this which should have been made by now but continues be extended.

Seems like there are issues with this in the US also which may be delay decision here in the U.K. looks like the order book is the main stumbling block.

SMRs have gone a bit quiet, think the teams working on them have down scaled a bit too. I had a job offer for Rolls Royce SMR last year, but ended up going contracting instead. Seems like a good project to be involved in like, I’ve only ever worked on conventional nuclear sites.

SMRs have gone a bit quiet, think the teams working on them have down scaled a bit too. I had a job offer for Rolls Royce SMR last year, but ended up going contracting instead. Seems like a good project to be involved in like, I’ve only ever worked on conventional nuclear sites.

They’re using engineers from conventional sites to do the design, which is understandable. But the modular nature of the build lends itself more to an offshore build philosophy and the engineering that comes with that. They’re doing a lot of the design from first principles and it’s a steep learning curve.

What’s your logic that phase 2 of the battery plant would enhance the SMR decision to locate nearby?
You only need to look at Cambridge and the clustering of high tech companies, 'SIlicon Fen'. Nissan moved here, other supply companies, eg Hashimoto at East Boldon opt to be nearby, makes sense. Gigafactory, close to Nissan. Not just Nissan suppliers either. Grundfos pumps, Lieherr et al not too far. What makes IAMP attractive to these companies, equally to Rolls Royce. The logic being, if a company is prepared to invest 200million, area on way up not down so should be more attractive. Ultimately it may have no bearing on decision but RR in running for IAMP so will take any positives which I think this money is. I would rather Sunderland be home to loads of manufacturing than call centres (take both) but long term we need high end skilled jobs.

Back