New coaches and captains.

It's for only 120 days in the year which could make it attractive as it means any potential coach would be available elsewhere for the majority of the year.
Are they advertising that they only want the head coach for the summer. If so that makes all this talk about most of the technical and tactical work for a county is done during winter training a load of nonsense. I can understand having a shirt term T20 coach but not both. I wonder if North is going to be more hands on with the first team.

Last edited:
Are they advertising that they only want the head coach for the summer. If so that makes all this talk about most of the technical and tactical work for a county is done during winter training a load of nonsense. I can understand having a shirt term T20 coach but not both. I wonder if North is going to be more hands on with the first team.
They haven't advertised for a head coach, only for a batting consultant and an assistant Academy coach. I presume the head coach position is reduntant- probably the reason why Lewis left.

They haven't advertised for a head coach, only for a batting consultant and an assistant Academy coach. I presume the head coach position is reduntant- probably the reason why Lewis left.
But surely they'll need a First Team Coach?

But surely they'll need a First Team Coach?
Why? They have a bowling coach(Killeen) and are about to appoint a batting coach. The captain should direct on- field decisions with advice from his senior players. I often wandered exactly what influence or responsibilty Lewis carried. Couldn't see Colly being overruled on selection or tactical issues.

Why? They have a bowling coach(Killeen) and are about to appoint a batting coach. The captain should direct on- field decisions with advice from his senior players. I often wandered exactly what influence or responsibilty Lewis carried. Couldn't see Colly being overruled on selection or tactical issues.
I wouldn't have thought the 1st team squad would need overall direction, that's players and coaches. Team selection would be the least of it and probably done on a consensus basis between coach and captain. The batting coach is a part time role (part year) iirc.

I don't see the Director of Cricket having day to day control.

Also look at Yorks, Martin Moxon and Gillespie then Gale. No 1st team coach in the organisational structure seems odd.
Director of Cricket: reports:- Head Groundsman, Head of Academy, 1st Team coach, 2nd Team coach.

Pretty sure they
Thats not what the press were told at the time and I find it incredibly unlikely All change at Durham as Lewis departs
Head coach wouldn’t have to be formally advertised; they’ll be headhunting.

Back