Nepal Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
I remember playing a club game in 2010 and an umpire telling us he'd officiated over there and it was becoming a cricket hotbed.

Watched the IPL yesterday and one of their lads bowled superbly.

The next test nation or will other countries steal their players?

I remember playing a club game in 2010 and an umpire telling us he'd officiated over there and it was becoming a cricket hotbed.

Sure @Augustus Gloop was a fan of Nepal, think his avatar was a Nepal flag. I stupidly thought he was another incarnation of the rat, Johnson, etc etc

I’m assuming you mean BBL and Sandeep Lamichhane for Sydney?

As for test/feeder the answer is a bit of both, I think.. the game is second only to football but there is no 2 day cricket, let alone any structure that will breed test cricketers. I imagine that for the next 15 years at least any quality talent will end up as t20 mercenaries or else move to Aus/eng for a chance to win play tests. Subcontinent teams are not exactly historically open to poaching.

But the grassroots level interest is there to pretty much ensure a good pipeline if the right governance and structure were in place. WCL games featuring Nepal routinely draw crowds in excess of 15000 in standing terraces, and the t20 competition is now in the third edition and doing the well. No reason why Nepal wouldn’t be playing test cricket within a generation

Last edited:
I’ve been following Pokhara Rhinos in the Nepal T20 competition over December. They signed Paul Coughlin, Kyle Coetzer & Richard Levi to play for them.
Following the games there were plenty UK based players taking part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back