Neil Martin, 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good striker, our best No9 in the 64-70 spell in the First Division...sold him too soon, for sure. He had a very good partnership with Colin Suggett. Losing those two in pretty rapid succession undoubtedly led to our 1970 relegation.
The cheaper replacements we signed (Ralph Brand, Joe Baker) were past their best and just not up to it.
Yes, it seems only the fans can appreciate the good players, but the hierarchy only see pound signs. Thing about McColl was that they reckon Baxter called all the shots. Sure Kinnell that we signed was Baxter’s cousin.

Yes, it seems only the fans can appreciate the good players, but the hierarchy only see pound signs. Thing about McColl was that they reckon Baxter called all the shots. Sure Kinnell that we signed was Baxter’s cousin.
He was. The Scottish (Rangers) mafia under McColl was not good for the club. Baxter was a marvellous player but got away with murder off the park. And it meant Charlie Hurley, an Irish catholic, was frozen out of the first team for quite a spell with Kinnell, an inferior player, preferred at centre half.

One of my favourite players and I was devastated when he was sold to Coventry. In reference to that 3-0 win at the Mags, in 'Black Catalogue' there's an eye-witness account of how Baxter was carried out of Wetherell's Night Club ,blind drunk, in the early hours of the morning, yet starred at St James Park just over 12 hours later!
Baxter’s one of the few players where you know a story like that wouldn’t be an exaggeration!

Very good striker, our best No9 in the 64-70 spell in the First Division...sold him too soon, for sure. He had a very good partnership with Colin Suggett. Losing those two in pretty rapid succession undoubtedly led to our 1970 relegation.
The cheaper replacements we signed (Ralph Brand, Joe Baker) were past their best and just not up to it.
Exactly what me da and his marras said. Unbalancing the books.....it’s the SAFC way.
If it makes you happy.... ;)
You must’ve done your denial in whiter text cos I can’t see it!

Last edited:
I think you could be right about Baxter. Gifted player though he was, but rumours of his influence within the club were rife at the time. It was also intimated that he had something to do with Ralph Brands signing. Both he and Baxter were former Rangers players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back