Nearly a million more young adults now live with parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many posters still live with their parents?

I still live with my daughter who occasionally posts on here, if that helps. She first moved out when she was training for a job and then moved back home a couple of years later. On balance, she reckons that I’m easier to live with than her flat mate.

Although she earns more than enough to buy a house in the area, she doesn’t want to scrimp and save to pay for a mortgage. She prefers paying half the bills and living costs for my house, which makes sense.

She’s currently having ivf in order to have a baby which costs a huge amount of money, and I have tentatively suggested that if she should get pregnant she might prefer her own home. Apparently she has already decided that having a resident baby sitter more than makes up for not having her own home.

I think that we are just reverting to the norm, with young ones living at home until they marry. They marry late now compared to in the past so they move out later too. And we don’t have a large number of generations to compare in reality. Up until the First World War most young girls went into service and lived in their employers home. The same for young men who worked as ag labs. Miners went into tied cottages with other mining families as lodgers. There has never really been a time when substantial numbers of young people lived alone in mortgaged property other than for a very short period during the 70s and 80s.

Can't afford a deposit for a house but can go 'out out' every weekend. Priorities aren't right mate. Little wankers enjoying themselves.
Spending all their money on a holiday a year, and popping down the pub for a pint. Scandalous. Should be forced to stay in.

Well at least the forums viewpoints have changed since the last time a thread of this sort popped up.

It is largely dictated by the housing market. I know a few young people, who don't have the party lifestyle being described here or loads of flash holidays. I think that is an easy sound byte to dismiss a problem. Even if they walked to work, lived on the cheapest food and never went out, rent and house prices are so high it is a struggle for those at the start of their career. Add the burden of £30k+ University debt and it is hardly a surprise.

I got my first house in 2001, sold it 4 1/2 years later after a number of problems in the area, so it went for below market value. I made a £42k profit on it. My current place must have gone up by £140k, based on similar prices. Wages have not kept pace with the market, so how can the young keep up?

My old boss retired last year. He had his daughter living at home, then the boyfriend joined her and now they have a baby. There is part of me thinking I hope that is never me. On the other hand, the lady next door retired and her husband died, leaving her in a family home but alone. Her daughter and new husband were struggling to find a house with garden, with a baby on the way. They bought out half of her house and now have two young lads with Granny living at home. She loves it and I think it has given her a new lease of life getting out every day in the summer to play football in the garden.

My daughter is 28 still lives at home with my 2 year old grandson, it has some plus points, there’s also some negatives to the set up too.

She did live with my grandsons father but he was and still is a fuckin wanker. She actually has her own flat but rents it out as it’s only a one bedroom, she doesn’t pay a penny to live with us mind, that’s a bit of a light the blue touch paper between me and our lass. :lol:

I'm getting on and still live at hyem like. :lol:
It's a bit embarrassing when you tell folk but in honesty we've got some extenuating circumstances here and it just works out best.

I still live with my daughter who occasionally posts on here, if that helps. She first moved out when she was training for a job and then moved back home a couple of years later. On balance, she reckons that I’m easier to live with than her flat mate.

Although she earns more than enough to buy a house in the area, she doesn’t want to scrimp and save to pay for a mortgage. She prefers paying half the bills and living costs for my house, which makes sense.

She’s currently having ivf in order to have a baby which costs a huge amount of money, and I have tentatively suggested that if she should get pregnant she might prefer her own home. Apparently she has already decided that having a resident baby sitter more than makes up for not having her own home.

I think that we are just reverting to the norm, with young ones living at home until they marry. They marry late now compared to in the past so they move out later too. And we don’t have a large number of generations to compare in reality. Up until the First World War most young girls went into service and lived in their employers home. The same for young men who worked as ag labs. Miners went into tied cottages with other mining families as lodgers. There has never really been a time when substantial numbers of young people lived alone in mortgaged property other than for a very short period during the 70s and 80s.

She’s having a baby but isn’t willing to fully support herself first?

Obviously dreadful, feckless parenting is at play here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back