ND filter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steeeeed

Winger
Hi all,

Hoping you can help with some advice...

I recently bought a hama grau vario ND2-400 filter, 52mm. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Variable-Neutral-Density-Filter/dp/B004ZLVKRC

Been having problems when attempting long exposures. The bottom left and top right corners are often much darker and this effect meets in the middle. Ruining the picture effectively. I've tried it at different focal lengths. Just been out trying it at 42mm (as attached). No difference. I've tried screwing it in after putting a hood on but that's very tricky and didnt seem to make a difference.

Example. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/p1040152k.jpg/
Also tried putting a UV filter in first, no idea why really :eek: but it also didn't make a difference.

Fella in the shop reckoned it might just be glare and I should wrap my hand around the lens!

Any ideas? HELP!!!

PS, if it's just a pile of shit, cut to the chase and tell me :-D

Hi all,

I recently bought a hama grau vario ND2-400 filter, 52mm. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Variable-Neutral-Density-Filter/dp/B004ZLVKRC

Been having problems when attempting long exposures. The bottom left and top right corners are often much darker and this effect meets in the middle. Ruining the picture effectively. I've tried it at different focal lengths. Just been out trying it at 42mm (as attached). No difference. I've tried screwing it in after putting a hood on but that's very tricky and didnt seem to make a difference.

Also tried putting a UV filter in first, no idea why really :eek: but it also didn't make a difference.

Fella in the shop reckoned it might just be glare and I should wrap my hand around the lens!

Any ideas? HELP!!!

PS, if it's just a pile of shit, cut to the chase and tell me
:-D

This I'm afraid. Everything Hama have ever made is, excepting cable releases which can't do any damage to your image

Save up and get some Lees and you will love them forever

Hi all,

Any ideas? HELP!!!

PS, if it's just a pile of shit, cut to the chase and tell me :-D

I bought one too mate & have the same problem.Don't get it on every shot,but I think it's a case of get what you pay for.A mate of mine has been using welding glass with some great results.

Just bought a hama polariser. Gutted if it is shit. :-(

This I'm afraid. Everything Hama have ever made is, excepting cable releases which can't do any damage to your image

I've got a wireless Hama release. It's a pile of wank. It doesnt work in the cold.

You wouldn't like it ;)

Get a Hoya polarizer. They make them for Lee

I would stress that a polarizer ain't going to be as bad as what the OP bought. That thing is the work of satan and shouldn't exist from any manufacturer

You gonna suggest I don't use one? ;)... it's for foliage so kind of need it..

The reviews I have read on it are positive, I think I'm gonna give it a try.. it's £32 lost if it's no good like.. but hey-ho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep, I was expecting a two footed tackle from yourself and it's much appreciated :-D

I'm finding that if you buy crap gear it's just a false economy in the end because it's money wasted and you end up upgrading in the end anyway. Tripods being a classic case.

Anyone know of any reputable lee distributers?

Yep, I was expecting a two footed tackle from yourself and it's much appreciated :-D

I'm finding that if you buy crap gear it's just a false economy in the end because it's money wasted and you end up upgrading in the end anyway. Tripods being a classic case.

bought a Hama tripod aswell :lol: only used it twice such is it's utter f***ing shitness.

had the pro1 in my basket and penny pinched at the Hama, saved my self about £8. :cool:.

You live and learn.

Hoya make them for Lee. Lee stick them under a microscope etc and reject 80%

Lee don't have the production facility for pols themselves

So basically if you are buying Hoya you are buying a Lee reject, which ain't half bad

Heliopan is the other top notch one

Hoya make them for Lee. Lee stick them under a microscope etc and reject 80%

Lee don't have the production facility for pols themselves

So basically if you are buying Hoya you are buying a Lee reject, which ain't half bad

Heliopan is the other top notch one

Even google cannot find 67mm CPL from lee :-(

bought a Hama tripod aswell :lol: only used it twice such is it's utter f***ing shitness.

:lol:

Curiously I had a Hama cable release and it was the best one I ever had for the price

Lost it eventually as I do with all cable releases

Even google cannot find 67mm CPL from lee :-(

Nope you won't find one of those. Just the 105mm

Try Hoya?

If you find one let me know. Can't get them for love nor money around here.

Robert White / Dale Photographic

The problem is just the waiting list

They have nightshifts now, hoping to catch up. The plan of transferring some production to China was abandoned

but it nice or buy it twice.

My exception to the rule was an ebay chinese 3 quid cable release for my old 350d. Bullet proof. Dropped on the beach, rockpools, stood on - you name it.

When I upgraded I needed a new one - went down the same route. Was onto my fifth before I realised I could have bought the Canon one with the money I'd pissed up the wall.

Last upgrade, I bought the sparkly Canon one with timer, intervalometer. Works just fine :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back