National Glass Centre reopening

A factory for mass produced products.

Your kids will love the Dewhirsts Experience and The Papery World of Edward Thompson.
A flippant remark about Pyrex maybe, but we can't all have a Stonehenge or Scara Brae at the end of the street.

My kids were 6 at the time, so what if they enjoyed the glass roof?

A flippant remark about Pyrex maybe, but we can't all have a Stonehenge or Scara Brae at the end of the street.

My kids were 6 at the time, so what if they enjoyed the glass roof?
I'm not trying to take away the fact that they enjoyed the building, but what's in it has little to do with it.

I'm not trying to take away the fact that they enjoyed the building, but what's in it has little to do with it.
Car park, art exhibition, glass-blowing, walk along the river, toilets, café, shop - one of the very few places where you can still buy postcards of Sunderland.

And, in the past, the glass roof!

All things we enjoyed when we visited.

Don't dismiss cafés. When part of an established art venue they bring in custom. Might not be the preferred business model of the art purists, but they bring in people who may not have chosen to visit. Essential to some venues with less funding from local authorities.

So fuck. Who cares about other cities, let them worry about themselves. Seriously, your embarrassed by the national glass centre?

The university glass related courses are pretty unique and world renowned. We can be proud of more than one aspect of the cities history. We weren't the only people to build ships either

Don't even know why I'm responding.
Probably upset about fortnightly bin collections…

A factory for mass produced products. And you do realise it was a US based multinational not a firm set up by Billy Pyrex from Pallion.

Your kids will love the Dewhirsts Experience and The Papery World of Edward Thompson.

You seem to have an an edge over the glass centre.
Were you a failure at the bauble blowing or summat.

Last edited:
You seem to have an an edge over the glass centre.
Were you a failure at the bauble blowing or summat.
I just think it's really quite shit. I'm not one of these people who thinks money spent on the arts and culture is a waste either.

I just think a large part of the reason that so few people use it, or are even aware of what they have going on, is because it is built on the false premise that decorative art glass making is some major part of the city's cultural identity. It's bull shit and people have an instinctive aversion to having the wool pulled over their eyes.

Back