MyFitnessPal

Status
Not open for further replies.

maygo

Winger
Well after training for over 20 years and having meagre success with the diet side of things, I'm gonna try and monitor my calories using this. According to the app, at my height and Activity level I need around 2,200 cals a day to lose 5 kg at 0.2kg a week. It's made me think about the food choices I take instead of just eating whatever I think will be best. I reckon I'm gonna be hungry like :neutral:

I've been using it religiously for the last 2 weeks, everything for black coffee to the swizzells double lollies.

2 cals for black coffee!
It's gonna take a few days to get used to it and for it to learn my food choices, but it seems simple enough. Have you lost much @smeg ?

2 cals for black coffee!
It's gonna take a few days to get used to it and for it to learn my food choices, but it seems simple enough. Have you lost much @smeg ?

I used to use it and really should get back to it as diet is my big downfall.

That said, it's not knowledge of what foods I should be eating that lets me down. It's my total willingness to not eat when really I should.

I have an excuse like, I suffer from a hiatus hernia (top of my stomach is above my diaphragm) which means I feel properly sick if I eat too much and get proper bad acid reflux but I can get the calories I need if I just space them out. I really need to plan better.

Well after training for over 20 years and having meagre success with the diet side of things, I'm gonna try and monitor my calories using this. According to the app, at my height and Activity level I need around 2,200 cals a day to lose 5 kg at 0.2kg a week. It's made me think about the food choices I take instead of just eating whatever I think will be best. I reckon I'm gonna be hungry like :neutral:
With a bit of planning there's no need to feel hungry on that total.
Also you might want to calculate your own requirements using a TDEE calculator on line, then you can personalise MFP to suit your revised intake which is likely to be more than what it's told you.
Macros are also important.
You can get consumed (pardon the pun) by it all but it def works!

Had my tea, steak n veg at 620. I'm f***ing starving now, got a protein shake and a banana before bed n that's it.
Logon or register to see this image

That's the breakdown for today, happy with the protein level cos I'm hoping to keep what muscle I've got

Had my tea, steak n veg at 620. I'm f***ing starving now, got a protein shake and a banana before bed n that's it.
Logon or register to see this image

That's the breakdown for today, happy with the protein level cos I'm hoping to keep what muscle I've got

Looks like you've totally ignored you macros there mate, your carbs are way down which won't help with your hunger.

Post your daily meals on here?

I've lost almost 7 lb on MFP so far and all I've done is log my meals.

It really makes me think about calories in = calories out. If I want a glass of wine I need to earn it, but I don't need to deny myself.

Looks like you've totally ignored you macros there mate, your carbs are way down which won't help with your hunger.
I don't know how to work the macros yet, haway man first day! I'll tweak it over the next few days. To be honest, I felt alreet after a black tea and a protein shake

I don't know how to work the macros yet, haway man first day! I'll tweak it over the next few days. To be honest, I felt alreet after a black tea and a protein shake
Your carbs are at 21% against a target of 50% and your protein is way over the other way.
It takes a while to get used to it like but this place should keep you right!
Don't go mad with protein it's important but you still need a good balance of fats and carbs.

Your carbs are at 21% against a target of 50% and your protein is way over the other way.
It takes a while to get used to it like but this place should keep you right!
Don't go mad with protein it's important but you still need a good balance of fats and carbs.

Someone may put me right on this but can't you do your kidneys some serious damage overloading on protein?

Sounds familiar like?
As I sup on me strawberry protein shake :lol: - all this MFP crack made me realise I was a bit short on my protein today !

I'm not. I stopped by the chippy on the way back from the gym and picked up two large pieces of cod. Washed down with a litre of gold top milk.

Filthy, filthy bulk :lol:

Someone may put me right on this but can't you do your kidneys some serious damage overloading on protein?

Not been shown so far in literature but last time I checked it lacked long term investigation.

I'd ignore percentages (although it's f***ing annoying as a lot of the research on fat intake is done as a percentage of intake) and focus more on relative to body weight than energy intake. For example, when in the off-season I'm on over 5,000kcal at some points, if I went on percentages as a recommendation for say protein, I'd be getting retarded amounts of protein; way more than has ever been demonstrated to be useful for athletic performance, whereas if you base it off a figure relative to bodyweight/FFM, calories can go up and the percentage will go down axiomatically.

Post your daily meals on here?

I've lost almost 7 lb on MFP so far and all I've done is log my meals.

It really makes me think about calories in = calories out. If I want a glass of wine I need to earn it, but I don't need to deny myself.
Breakfast- Bran flakes and milk, 168 cal
1 slice of wholemeal toast, beans, 3 poached eggs- 455 cal
dinner sainsbury's salad, pack of chargrilled chicken- 428 cal
tea fillet steak (get me!) roasted root veg- 529 cal
snacks 1 banana, 2 protein shakes, 2 tea with semi skimmed milk- 540 cal
All in, 2090 cals. Will mess about with it, I read that you need 1.5- 2g protein per kg of bodyweight to maintain your muscle mass, or is that tosh? If so I can have some rice or summit at dinnertime IIFYM :)

2 cals for black coffee!
Well that's 24 calories a day I haven't been accounting for, these last five years. That explains those 12 and a half pounds I can never seem to shift.

Breakfast- Bran flakes and milk, 168 cal
1 slice of wholemeal toast, beans, 3 poached eggs- 455 cal
dinner sainsbury's salad, pack of chargrilled chicken- 428 cal
tea fillet steak (get me!) roasted root veg- 529 cal
snacks 1 banana, 2 protein shakes, 2 tea with semi skimmed milk- 540 cal
All in, 2090 cals. Will mess about with it, I read that you need 1.5- 2g protein per kg of bodyweight to maintain your muscle mass, or is that tosh? If so I can have some rice or summit at dinnertime IIFYM :)

Closer to 1g iirc, your 2 protein shakes have taken a lot of cals away yer could of had some chips with yer steak:lol:

I had a moment of weakness yesterday due to being influenced by the other half and never went to the gym and had a tub of ice cream, which took my calorie total over 1000. I've already said to myself I'll be putting in double the effort at the gym tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back