My Response to a Chelsea mate - Re: Reidy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris Mackem

Midfield
My Chelsea mate said that they were very average on Saturday but that Newcastle were just sh*te... he asked about our lot and how much longer for Reidy..... Here is the response I sent to him :

Hi Niall,

For me, Saturday was the watershed. Any lingering doubts about whether Reidy could turn things around were stunningly dispelled during a disasterous display on an afternoon where total and utter despondancy was the order of the day.

It wasn't as though we started-off badly. First half we spent mainly in their half without ever looking convincing and without ever looking like scoring - save for an effort from Matty Piper from which Van De Saar made a good save. It was like waiting for the inevitable and the inevitable eventually happened. The ball fell to Inamoto and he sent a well placed shot diagonally across goal and into the inside side netting. From then on the rot began to set in and to grow increasingly worse. The 2nd half is probably the most soul-destroying 45 minutes of football I have ever sat through as a life long Sunderland Supporter. Ok, we've had relegations and bad defeats before, we've even been as low as the old Division 3 but never have I been as low as I was at ten-to five on Saturday afternoon in an empty Stadium of Light. In the past there has always been HOPE. An old Sunderland adage is the phrase "It's The Hope I Can't Stand" (ITHICS) - even when we've fought relegation we've battled and we've had hope.... What marked Saturday for me was the realisation that we have no long-term hope while the current management and coaching regime remain in place.

It is hard for anyone who was not there on Saturday afternoon to fully comprehend what went on. Driving back after the match I listened to Six-o-Six on Radio Five Live.... a Sunderland fan called in from the M3 to say that Reidy should be given more time, the team need time to gel, etc etc. I just carried on driving and thought "No,No,No unless you were there and experienced that complete hollowness in the pit of your stomach, then you just simply can't comprehend".

Today, it has come to much more than 'putting things right on the pitch'. Peter Reid has lost the fans and when you lose the fans you lose any hope of retrieving the situation. All this has not just happened over the last few weeks. Sunderland fans have suffered 21 months of abject misery and awful performances. The Reid In Reid out debate took hold last season and has refused to go away and has divided sections of the fan base. The Leeds and Man. U results gave us a shock and a real lift, from an all-time low we suddenly had a 'new hope' injection - 4 points when we expected 0 was a major shot in the arm. We then had Boro away and Fulham at home, surely we could pick up 3 or 4 points from those two..... Boro was bad enough, but then Fulham at home. Six goals against and none scored... Nope, I'm afraid he has lost the fans and from the body language on Saturday, the players have gone too.

Firstly, it hurts when you get to kick-off at 3-o-clock and you look around the ground and it is less than three-quarters full. Admittedly Fulham didn't bring very many but 13,000 Sunderland Supporters have voted with their feet since last seasons debacle. Once upon a time you would go to a game and wait for the spark that would kick-start the Roker Roar. Now we go and we wait for the spark that will kick-start the SOL boo-boys. The chants are stuck in your throat choking the life out of you as you wait for the first boo. Reidy had it last season. Kevin Kilbane has been hounded out. On Saturday, a young lad named Tommy Butler who is Kilbanes replacement started getting the treatment and was hauled off. Tommy Sorensen, our best keeper for years made a few bollocks and screwed-up for the 2nd goal and he got the treatment too.. people started to get up and leave making an all ready seemingly empty stadium even emptier... When the 3rd went in, can't remember the timing now but I think we still had about 15 or 20 minutes to go, about half the remaining fans just stood-up and walked out en-mass. It was almost heart-breaking. The fans were leaving in their droves. The players on the pitch were playing like 11 total strangers. I sit quite close to the pitch. I can see their faces and I can hear the players when they are close to me. You could tell that they were dying out there and couldn't wait to get off the pitch. I looked across at the 2 dugouts. The Fulham one was compact. Management & Subs sat together intently watching the game... the Sunderland one, Reidy stood at the back slumped & leaning against the back corner, a coach here... a few spare seats... someone slumped back in seat, his legs outstretched resting on a cool-box..an empty seat, a player in the row of seats behind, head-in-hands, feet on the back of the chair in front. The dug-out resembled the team, a shambles...... and more fans got up, turned their backs and walked out.

Should Reid go? Yes, I think the time has come. He has given us 7 years solid service. Given us some of our greatest moments as Sunderland Supporters but sometimes you reach a point where you have done as much as you can do and you can do no more. The old motivational tactics become 'old-hat' and no longer work. I believe that we have reached that stage now with Peter Reid. He should go now while most of us still remember him fondly. I think he should go NOW. There is a BIG game looming on Saturday. Three things could happen. We could beat Newcastle again at Sid James's and Reid would win another little reprieve (just as with Leeds and Man U), but eventually the fans that he has lost will turn on him again. We could lose, we could get thumped and Reid will become even more vilified. He doesn't deserve that after what he has done for us. We could play out a draw, Reid could survive until our next home game against Aston Villa.... if that goes pear-shaped then the place will go ballistic and he will be hounded out. So Go Now. Let's face the Mags either without a manager or with a new guy in place who won't get blamed.... even managerless we could raise our game into something better than we witnessed during the last 45 minutes of 'soccer'.

For me, the only way the atmosphere at Sunderland will change from waiting for the boo's into waiting for the cheers, will be for a new manager to take the reins - to lift the fans and to lift the players too.

Does that explain it?

Cheers,

A very accurate and true reflection, the type of genuine opinion that Murray should really take note of.

Gold post

superb post, and would get my vote for a Gold Status.

sums up a lot of my own feelings, and i suppose also one of the reasons i want him to go soo much now, is that as you touch upon within your post, he has made a lot of people lose Hope and the Passion has gone amongst many fans, and its slowly ebbing away from me as well.

The most honest and true post I have read.
Not only should it be gold but should also be posted off to the SSOL and kept on posted until a similar decent reply is forthcoming.
Well said.

Great post Paris, it summed up exactly how I and my elderly father felt on the trek back down. For the first time in our 30+ years travelling we felt totally empty, as if we have given everything and there is no more to give. We are even looking to miss the AV game if PR is still there, never before have we contemplated this, I can't explain this, I feel so bad, my heart is with SAFC but my head and pocket are elsewhere at the moment.

So it is not only you Paris, I know exactly how you are feeling.

Wow, that feels better!

Beautifully put. Defo worth Gold status.

The Fulham game is the lowest I have ever felt watching Sunderland. We have the players - get someone in who can coach them.

Excellent Appraisal Parismackem

The club pissed on the fire in my belly 18 month ago when we were sat in 2nd position, ambition my ARSE.

I sat there on Satda and the second half was the final straw for me.

I could have picked eleven fans from the terraces who would have given better performances than we saw out there.

I spare one thought, and that's for Reyna the guy just had nothing around him and he just doesn't deserve to be put in that position.

Top Post, gets my vote for gold aswell. I've never been in the Reid out group, but i have to agree with almost everything in there. Especially saying you could not know what it was like in the second half on Saturday if you weren't there. I never leave a game early but on Saturday I left after 70 minutes, i could just not take any more of watching the team playing like they didn't know each other and lokking like they didn't really care either. Mickey Gray summed it up for me when Fulham cleared a corner and their winger was sprinting after it and keeping it in, when Mickey Gray was just jogging back. I'm not going to stick up for Reidy and say he should stay cos i think it has now come to the stage where he has lost the fans and it is the same as at boro with Bryan Robson. Anyway I'm a bit despondant but I hope we beat the skunks.

On a brighter note at least they are below us!! :lol:

Gold Standard. Sums up pretty much what Pro and Anti Reid fans feel if that's possible.
It's time Murray stepped in to save Reid from taking any more punishment. The appointment of a new, high profile, experienced manager, with a reputation as a top class coach, who can operate on a low budget, would lift the team and the fans and create an atmosphere where the players we have will play to their maximum.

It should be done now before any further damage is done and to give a new manager as much time to steer us away from the relegation zone.

Gold! Always believe in your soul

Gold - gets my vote too. It's like a marriage which has broken down, and hanging on just makes it worse. It's hard to say goodbye to what we had together, but if it really really isn't there any more...

The nail has been hot firmly on the head on this thead. No, we don't hate Reid, no we don't hate the players. Personally I hate the way Reid is being treated, despite his years of great service. BUT, the time has come for Bob Murray to thank him for his efforts over the last 7 years, and to install a new man at the top.

It's a bit like a long-tem relationship that went sour a while ago, but you can't bear to let go. Thing is you know one of you has to stand up and make the brave decision.

It's too late to "work harder", or "put things right on the training pitch" - it's gone beyond that. Peter, or Bob, one of you has to be brave and make the change......

p.s Gold nomination for the original post!

Parismackem - you do come up with gems don't you.
Thats sums up my feelings and sentiments exactly. That feeling when the ground was looking so empty was awful but nothing compared to the emptyness and disbelief felt at the end of game. I hurts to the pit of our stomachs. The comparisons between the dug outs summed thing up as well - the club is falling apart, they're no longer a team. Just a bunch of people wearing the same colours. We need someone in now to pull everyone back together and FIGHT for what we hope for.

Superb Post.
Sitting bored during my free lesson i found a powerpoint presentation.....a news article we had to do to show our computing skills......i of course had to put Sunderland in and it was when we lost to man U 1-0.....what had I wrote....the champions league fight ends.

Before too long, as much as I love SAFC, our premiership fight might end too......we've been like a virus, sleeping in the depths of the unkown....but something has kicked started it, all becomes good, but the virus is caught, set and slowly dies.....my God I thought i'd never say that.....the place is turning into a cemetary, the feeling down, the enthusiasm gone. There used to be a part of me that kept me awake Friday nights with the enjoyment of Saturdays, that i fail to find. Despite my work with Beduth United, sunderland will always be my no1 club, despite what happens. Ive booked up any Sunday game we have, and i'll be there. All I want is my enjoyment back.........the shivers down the spine........thats why Im in football, to emotions are part and parcel, but surely it shouldn't be like this??

SAFC Til I die.

Encore - A well crafted heartfelt piece.

As I said in an earlier post, as was I driving into Sunderland from the A1 on Saturday (before the game had finished) there were a lot of R&W's with grim, resigned faces travelling in the opposite direction.

Pass this on to SSOL

I think that one of you moderators out there should forward Paris Mackems thread and it's responses on to the club.

Wev'e been low for over 18 months but were now at an all time low :cry:

Picking up on the other part of this, I saw Newcastle at Chelsea on Saturday - work, before anyone leaps on me.

Newcastle were not impressive, although Desailly should have walked early on for punching Craig Bellamy off the ball. Maybe the ref agrees that Bellamy's a workie Welsh git and deserves a slap ...

Otherwise the scum were dreadful in defence - has Bobby not heard of full backs? - and short of ideas going forward, which was a surprise. Once again Dyer completely failed to impress me. Maybe some of our tame mags could tell me why he's supposed to be any good?

What depressed me was seeing Spurs v West Ham yesterday. Up to now Hammers have looked pretty poor but they showed a level of fight and determination that seemed beyond our lot from what I've read. I'm really starting to fear we might finish bottom of a league for the first time in our history.

What can I say 'Paris' - superb post, perfectly put. I think deep down nobody wants Reid to fail. We all wish we were still flying high but alas its not to be and it should be the end of his era.

We've had the greatest ride I can remember (well, apart from a couple of lasses in our Sales Department!) but all good things come to an end. In truth the 'end' started last year when he brought in Heath as coach.

Thanks for everything Peter but please stand down for the good of our Club.

My resonse to a Chelsea mate.

Well written and superbly put. You capture the feeling of most supporters and this post is deserved of Gold status.

If not for the narrative for the simple fact that Laputian must be choking on the content.
His absence and silence is deafening.

It's like somebody with a brain and an ability to write has nicked me thoughts and put them into words.

Top class post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back