My lad got mugged last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 11.30 in that London. Walking back from the tube he was followed and surrounded by 5 kids. One of them flashed a knife and demanded his wallet (as usual it was fairly empty) and then threatened him if he didn't give them the pin number for his bank card, saying they'd hold him until one of them had used it, and woe betide him if he gave a false PIN. As they were holding him loads of cars passed and a few pedestrians looked away (this happened by a major road) until a couple stopped and my lad asked them to call the police. This spooked the gang and they cleared off. All this happened 5 minutes walk from our house where we've lived 20-odd years.

They managed to withdraw the £200 limit from his account (don't know his chances of the bank writing that off - he cancelled the card as soon as he got home) and he's lost his driving license, work ID card, etc. They didn't want his phone cos "it wasn't good enough". :D

The police have gone to the trouble of taking a statement over the phone and said there's not much more they'll do. When pressed, they said they'll think about looking at CCTV but no promises.

My general feeling is, thank god he's safe but what a shitty society we live in.

About 11.30 in that London. Walking back from the tube he was followed and surrounded by 5 kids. One of them flashed a knife and demanded his wallet (as usual it was fairly empty) and then threatened him if he didn't give them the pin number for his bank card, saying they'd hold him until one of them had used it, and woe betide him if he gave a false PIN. As they were holding him loads of cars passed and a few pedestrians looked away (this happened by a major road) until a couple stopped and my lad asked them to call the police. This spooked the gang and they cleared off. All this happened 5 minutes walk from our house where we've lived 20-odd years.

They managed to withdraw the £200 limit from his account (don't know his chances of the bank writing that off - he cancelled the card as soon as he got home) and he's lost his driving license, work ID card, etc. They didn't want his phone cos "it wasn't good enough". :D

The police have gone to the trouble of taking a statement over the phone and said there's not much more they'll do. When pressed, they said they'll think about looking at CCTV but no promises.

My general feeling is, thank god he's safe but what a shitty society we live in.
Islington?

I've never been mugged in London. So that's bollocks.
Neither have I but something like this knocks you out of your complacency. Archway tube has notices telling you not to use your phone when leaving the station because of scooter gangs, and now there's kids carrying acid as well as knives...

Worrying when you've got kids.

Neither have I but something like this knocks you out of your complacency. Archway tube has notices telling you not to use your phone when leaving the station because of scooter gangs, and now there's kids carrying acid as well as knives...

Worrying when you've got kids.
How old?

He's alright which obviously is the main thing. He's been unlucky but lucky as well, there's nothing you can do about it so just count your blessings, he's had a close shave there.
Agree. Both him and his brother went to school in Edmonton (think Tottenham, only worse) so we've drummed it into them both just to hand over their stuff in such circumstances. He was stone cold sober as well, so no drunken heroics.

Bad that it happened so close to home, though.
He's 23 this month.

Welcome To London.

Won't be anything done by the police as they'd have to record it. Society brushing it under the carpet as per usual.
Certainly won't be recorded as a knife crime...

One of his best mates is a policeman so I've suggested he sees if his mate can rattle the cage a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back