Multiple people quitting

Got rid of flexi, including any banked hours

I did this to our Architects and Audit Team.
Not out of malice.
I thought as Professionals they should be truthful and honest about their attendance.
We had Architects on £60k+ a year noting they started at 8:15am or had 33 minute lunch break.
Neither group built up much in the way of flexi hours anyway.

In my last place I was one of the three top performers, usually the top.

In the space of six months all three of us have resigned. Only one was convinced to stay.

He’ll regret that. Our strength was our joined success. Now he’s in an under performing team with nobody to carry everybody.

In the space of six months all three of us have resigned. Only one was convinced to stay.

He’ll regret that. Our strength was our joined success. Now he’s in an under performing team with nobody to carry everybody.
There was 2 of the group that I know are a huge loss. The difference when they left was noticeable instantly.

The boss just said his usual “some people aren’t cut out to do this job”
Even though one of them went to our direct competitor and the other was in this industry for over 10 years ffs

Got rid of flexi, including any banked hours

I did this to our Architects and Audit Team.
Not out of malice.
I thought as Professionals they should be truthful and honest about their attendance.
We had Architects on £60k+ a year noting they started at 8:15am or had 33 minute lunch break.
Neither group built up much in the way of flexi hours anyway.
Reducing flexible working is often a backwards step. It is one of the zero cost perks you can give someone and supports a healthy work life balance. I would have been annoyed if I had been in that team. Even though I tend to work the same hours, being able to start late or finish early once in a while is brilliant.

I remember a former manager of mine, not my direct boss but the one above, wanted a chat with me. She had noticed that once a week I took a longer than usual lunch break and then found out I was using it to play 5-a-side. At first she said playing football was inappropriate in the working day, but then backed down when I questioned if she would be stopping the people who went for a run, went to the gym, went swimming or even went shopping on their lunch breaks. She had to admit no, and it was only football she was against as it didn't "feel right".

She then said the main issue was I was taking 1.5 hours instead of the usual hour. I pointed out that at no point in our contracts did define the length of a lunch break, that I started early and finished later to compensate and usually took shorter lunch breaks during the rest of the week, usually from my desk where I would always allow it to be interrupted for anything urgent. I said I was quite happy if she wanted to write down exactly the times she wanted me to work and that I'd promise to by at my desk at exactly that time, and also leave at the exact departure time, no matter what.

She thought about it, realised the implications of this and backed down.

We aren’t the biggest team for the work we do but had a fair few experienced people in. One left in September and another leaves next week. Meanwhile another experienced person is on leave for a while and probably not back until February at earliest while another is going off for about six weeks for an op. I’m f***ing shattered 😂

Reducing flexible working is often a backwards step. It is one of the zero cost perks you can give someone and supports a healthy work life balance. I would have been annoyed if I had been in that team. Even though I tend to work the same hours, being able to start late or finish early once in a while is brilliant.

I remember a former manager of mine, not my direct boss but the one above, wanted a chat with me. She had noticed that once a week I took a longer than usual lunch break and then found out I was using it to play 5-a-side. At first she said playing football was inappropriate in the working day, but then backed down when I questioned if she would be stopping the people who went for a run, went to the gym, went swimming or even went shopping on their lunch breaks. She had to admit no, and it was only football she was against as it didn't "feel right".

She then said the main issue was I was taking 1.5 hours instead of the usual hour. I pointed out that at no point in our contracts did define the length of a lunch break, that I started early and finished later to compensate and usually took shorter lunch breaks during the rest of the week, usually from my desk where I would always allow it to be interrupted for anything urgent. I said I was quite happy if she wanted to write down exactly the times she wanted me to work and that I'd promise to by at my desk at exactly that time, and also leave at the exact departure time, no matter what.

My point was they were adults in senior positions.
If they came in late or wanted an early finish they were trusted to ensure their work was still being completed.
The building was open from 7:00am-9:00pm and most worked independently or in very small groups, they were free to choose their schedules. With the odd exception of group meetings which thankfully were rare.
They also lost “Sports Day” an additional day off to take part in competitions organised by Staff Social Club, mainly golf.
Stopping that was not of my doing.

We aren’t the biggest team for the work we do but had a fair few experienced people in. One left in September and another leaves next week. Meanwhile another experienced person is on leave for a while and probably not back until February at earliest while another is going off for about six weeks for an op. I’m f***ing shattered 😂
Do you work on the safc forward line?

Sounds like you worked in education for that one.

This.
We have 300 Pipefitters, or had. Lost 100 in a day last month. All went to a project a mile down the road. $1ph extra.
Texas has loads of Gas projects on the go. Staff turnover is massive.

We used to have a plant in Beaumont, Texas and that was the same - we had people leaving before they'd even started as they were getting better offers from some place down the road. Basic process operators were getting offers of 150k USD per year and we couldn't compete.

I'm so fed up of being part of teams where more and more of holding things together ends up falling on me. Got some long term sickness and short staff issues at the moment, and the effort going on in the background to present it as "all ok" to the customer is wrecking me.

I could go elsewhere, but I'm so fucked I can't even be bothered to interview with people who've reached out to me.

update. We ended up down to 3 people and hired 7 more staff, 2 quit within the first month. We can’t train them fast enough and they’re getting frustrated with not knowing what to do.
The pressure on myself and the 2 “experienced” staff is too much.

My bosses boss come for a “visit” and asked about retention. Gave my 2 longer serving members a pay bump, that went down well at least.
I was told I won’t be able to expand my team to its full capacity because of the pay increases. I don’t see that being a problem as I can’t keep hold of staff long enough anyway

I get my annual review and bonus in 6 weeks then I’ll be off myself.

update. We ended up down to 3 people and hired 7 more staff, 2 quit within the first month. We can’t train them fast enough and they’re getting frustrated with not knowing what to do.
The pressure on myself and the 2 “experienced” staff is too much.

My bosses boss come for a “visit” and asked about retention. Gave my 2 longer serving members a pay bump, that went down well at least.
I was told I won’t be able to expand my team to its full capacity because of the pay increases. I don’t see that being a problem as I can’t keep hold of staff long enough anyway

I get my annual review and bonus in 6 weeks then I’ll be off myself.
Are you looking for new places now?

Yeah. Should be a team of 12 (13 with me included) had that reduced to 10 temporarily, only at 7 now.
7 doing thr work of 13? 13 is 'optimal'?

Anyway, sinking ship by the sounds of it. My old job asked me to go back last week, no change in conditions, perks etc just the same as before. Told them to shove it.

Hello Tony! 👋🏻

Back