Mouseover on threads not working for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR

Striker
Any ideas, when I hover over a thread, I no longer get the mini-view of the thread like I did before.

Win10
Opera

Working fine here, Opera 43.0.2442.1144 Windows 10

Normally its because you have javascripts disabled or blocked.

Version information
Version: 43.0.2442.1144 (PGO) - Opera is up to date
Update stream: Stable
System: Windows 10 64-bit

JavaScript
Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)

I notice the active content on the "Alerts" button doesn't work either. i.e. mouseover does nowt.

Its a brand new install of Win10. Does it need Java or Flash? I've just installed Flash, which is working - not sure about Java though, testing....

Installed the 64 and 32bit version of Java. Then realised that its disabled in all chromium-based browsers anyway (including chrome and opera). So its surely not that that's the problem.

Flash is running fine. Javascript is on. No idea why this isn't working - it always did for me before.

Working fine here, Opera 43.0.2442.1144 Windows 10

Normally its because you have javascripts disabled or blocked.
Oddly, its working fine on facebook "trending" items.

And on the homebrew forum. Its just the SMB!

Last edited:
Any ideas, when I hover over a thread, I no longer get the mini-view of the thread like I did before.

Win10
Opera
mine sometimes does this on laptop--dont know how to "format the fucker";) but if I shut it down and then log back on generally ok:D

Reactions: PTR
Still not working, and only not working on the SMB.
Works fine with the same browser on other computers though

Any idea what it might be?

Just completely uninstalled the browser and all my data. Still not working.

What's special about SMB?

Last edited:
Just thought to try with Edge browser - same problem, so its not Opera.

Any suggestions?

The homebrew forum uses vBulletin software which works differently and uses "tooltips" which are actually all pre-downloaded when you view the forum (the downside of that being it uses more data and makes the initial page slower to download)

Xenforo based forums like this detect your mouseover and then request the popup details for the thread you are looking at from the server (or at least they should do). I am just trying to see if this is a problem you have with all Xenforo software based forums.

The homebrew forum uses vBulletin software which works differently and uses "tooltips" which are actually all pre-downloaded when you view the forum (the downside of that being it uses more data and makes the initial page slower to download)

Xenforo based forums like this detect your mouseover and then request the popup details for the thread you are looking at from the server (or at least they should do). I am just trying to see if this is a problem you have with all Xenforo software based forums.
I'll check it at home tonight.

Thanks for helping me :)

No, clearly something very specific to that PC.

Does it work on the Xenforo forums?
No, doesn't work there either

Oddly, as I typed this, I got a "1 new alert" popup at the bottom of the screen. So some alerts are working, just not the hover over ones.

Did a bit more reading, and it seems this is linked to it being a touchscreen device (its a Surface Pro 3). Some people reporting the touch settings in //flags can help, but I've not managed to get it working yet.

Last edited:
I have a surface 3 (not the pro version) which I use mainly when travelling, I will dig it out later and see if I can reproduce the problem on there.

Reactions: PTR
Good news - I reproduced it, bad news, only way I could stop it was to turn off the touchscreen device.

The problem arises because the Xenforo software which we use for the forum treats it as a touch device (ie like a tablet/phone) and the "hover" event is invalid for them as you can't hover over a link.

The old browser tweaks I pointed to used to make the browser report to the forum that it was a non-touch device and then the normal settings worked. However it appears these tweaks are no longer available in the current versions of Chrome or Edge (and possibly never were in Opera)

Xenforo 2 looks to have addressed this problem, but is still not even at the Beta test stage so could be quite some time before we install it.

Thanks for taking the time to check on this. At least I know there's nowt i can do myself to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back