Motorhome advice

I don’t have a recommendation as such but places like VW hire. If you want a bit more comfort and luxury then there’s plenty of motor home rather than camper van rentals around.

My mate hired one from someone like these:Hire a Camper near Durham | Camptoo and he said the camper was good, reliable and they provided what they said they were going to but everything was an upgrade. Better pick up and drop off times were extra, extra mileage was extra, camper upgrades were extra, Insurance’s were extra etc. All to be expected but good to know beforehand. For example, the base cost was a pick up at say 5pm and drop off was 7am, losing two days of the holiday you expected. Just be aware before committing.

Last edited:
Thinking of booking a mororhome in the 6 weeks, any recommendations of companies, places to go, things to avoid\look out for?

we done the NC 500 loop of Scotland coast very good
but if I was doing it again I would hire motorhome from Scotland maybe Inverness area Loads of companies up there
We hired from Durham so had to drive a good way Up and down in motorhome before we even started we could of drove up in our car or even jumped on train

we done the NC 500 loop of Scotland coast very good
but if I was doing it again I would hire motorhome from Scotland maybe Inverness area Loads of companies up there
We hired from Durham so had to drive a good way Up and down in motorhome before we even started we could of drove up in our car or even jumped on train

Hmm, not something I had thought about but the wife is wanting to go south for the weather. Thanks
I don’t have a recommendation as such but places like VW hire. If you want a bit more comfort and luxury then there’s plenty of motor home rather than camper van rentals around.

My mate hired one from someone like these:Hire a Camper near Durham | Camptoo and he said the camper was good, reliable and they provided what they said they were going to but everything was an upgrade. Better pick up and drop off times were extra, extra mileage was extra, camper upgrades were extra, Insurance’s were extra etc. All to be expected but good to know beforehand. For example, the base cost was a pick up at say 5pm and drop off was 7am, losing two days of the holiday you expected. Just be aware before committing.

Cheers thanks, 2 adults and 2 kids (6) so I think the motor home is a cert.

Last edited:
Thinking of booking a mororhome in the 6 weeks, any recommendations of companies, places to go, things to avoid\look out for?

Make sure you get the right one for your licence. Under 3500kg if you passed after 97 and haven't done anything extra.

You may find you are limited to what is available, is suspect they are quite popular with people doing that rather than going abroad. But if you do have some options think about the layout you want, this is primarily whether you want a fixed bed or not. Advantage of a fixed bed is you don't have to faff on with making up the bed from the sofa, disadvantage is it takes up quite a bit of space. A small awning or canopy is very handy when it's raining so you have somewhere to take your wet gear off without dragging it into the living area.

We were thinking of doing this, I priced up a six berth and it was about £1500 a week. We hired a big six berth for 4 of us in Canada and even that was a bit cramped. The one I was looking at over here was about half the size of the one we had in Canada. I have toyed with the idea of buying one for me and Mrs Q when I retire.

Hopefully that’ll be us but it looks like a limit of 180 days only within the shengen zone per year for non eu citizens will apply to errrrh non eu citizens from Jan 1st. Cheers arseholes.
Hmm, not something I had thought about but the wife is wanting to go south for the weather. Thanks

Don’t bother. It’s been pissing down on and off all week. Biblical at times.
Tell her the south is now a disease-ridden wasteland. Head north and be safe.
West Yorks and East Lancs lockdown incoming next week anarl.
We were thinking of doing this, I priced up a six berth and it was about £1500 a week. We hired a big six berth for 4 of us in Canada and even that was a bit cramped. The one I was looking at over here was about half the size of the one we had in Canada. I have toyed with the idea of buying one for me and Mrs Q when I retire.
Us anarl.
ATM with a no deal U.K. citizens will only be allowed in shengen zone for 180 days a year. I’m not a happy bunny.

Last edited:

Prices are sky high at the minute.

I had a provisional booking which got postponed then cancelled altogether.

The price is now 2.5 times higher due to all the stay-cationers

Roads will be absolutely rife with them tomorrow and caravans now they're allowed back out to play with all the sites open.

Haway the end of the of the month and a week in the Lakes :cool:

Roads will be absolutely rife with them tomorrow and caravans now they're allowed back out to play with all the sites open.

Haway the end of the of the month and a week in the Lakes :cool:

Had my caravan back to my parents to clean today. I'll be leaving at 10am to go over the lakes for 4 days of sitting in the countryside. I'm expecting the A69 to be more caravans and motorhomes than anything else tomorrow.

Had my caravan back to my parents to clean today. I'll be leaving at 10am to go over the lakes for 4 days of sitting in the countryside. I'm expecting the A69 to be more caravans and motorhomes than anything else tomorrow.

Enjoy it marra. I'm stacked out with graft till the end of the month, otherwise I'd have been away as well!

Enjoy it marra. I'm stacked out with graft till the end of the month, otherwise I'd have been away as well!

Yea so am I. I’m ‘working from home’ on Monday and Tuesday, just so happens my home at that time is mobile. That’s not taking the piss either I will be grafting.

Back