Mortgage advice

I've just had a gander & saw a 2.99% from Furness BS. Even found a 2.69% with Marsden BS.

The thing is, is there legal fees to switch? as mine is also up in April & cheapest nationwide are offer is about 4.75% but mortgage is quite modest, so the fees add quite a bit onto the effective rate
Edit - just double checked & turns out they're actually trackers & fixes are around the 5% mark

I would check that's actually a fix & not a tracker, as I suspect it is.
Got a feeling the other ones are trackers

A few weeks ago, one of the tabloids did a feature on the cost of living, focusing on 4 or 5 couples from different backgrounds. There was this couple from down south with a joint income of about £80k & a £300k mortgage. I had to laugh when the lass described their historically low rate of 3% as "extortionate"

Whenever I buy a house / take on mortgage borrowing, one of the first things I check is how much can I realistically pay down in the first 5 years of fix, then if rates went to 7 or 8% could I still afford it.

The current situation is shite, but some people undoubtedly make things more difficult for themselves.

You’re not wrong, but comparisons to previous interest rates are a little unfair in some regards - adjusting for how much a house costs and what incomes are, 5% now is a bigger deal than say, 5% ten years ago.

You’re not wrong, but comparisons to previous interest rates are a little unfair in some regards - adjusting for how much a house costs and what incomes are, 5% now is a bigger deal than say, 5% ten years ago.
I'm still amazed at how people run 3 or 4 cars.

Not sure what fuss is about, my 2.44% fixed comes to an end in April next year, just done very quick check and can get a 2 year fixed at 2.99% - works out an extra £30 a month? No fee either.
Whilst I cant see interest rates going back down to 1%, I think this will all settle in the NY around 3%
You can’t get a 2.99 fixed for 2 years. Unless you know something the rest of us don’t.

A quick mse comparison check for remortgage at 40%ltv comes back with bank of China at 3.83% with just under 2k set up fee. Everything else is above 4%.

Cheapest 2 year no fee fixed was Lloyds at 5.04%

You can’t get a 2.99 fixed for 2 years. Unless you know something the rest of us don’t.

A quick mse comparison check for remortgage at 40%ltv comes back with bank of China at 3.83% with just under 2k set up fee. Everything else is above 4%.

Cheapest 2 year no fee fixed was Lloyds at 5.04%
:oops: just looked again they were trackers (wasnt clearly described if im honest like) - most fixed 2 yr ones were about 4.8/9%
works out about a £200 increase on my mortgage which isnt the end of the world like as thats not far off what ive been overpaying anyway

Mate I’m amazed at how some people run one :lol:

I think there’s going to be some very difficult times ahead for a lot of people financed to the eyeballs.

How many brand new premium cars do you see flying about? All on tick…
There's a lad about 4 streets away has a mclaren and a range rover as well as a q3. And his van.

:oops: just looked again they were trackers (wasnt clearly described if im honest like) - most fixed 2 yr ones were about 4.8/9%
works out about a £200 increase on my mortgage which isnt the end of the world like as thats not far off what ive been overpaying anyway
Caught me out when I was first looking. I’ve managed to get away with not much of an increase and fixed for 5 year but they seem to be going up every few days

I think there’s going to be some very difficult times ahead for a lot of people financed to the eyeballs.

Most will be lease or PCP tbf which you can just hand back at the end of the term.

I am not a fan of lease or PCP but a lot of people are happy as long as they can afford the monthly payments. Again, not a view I share but a lot of people I know are way less risk averse than me.

Everyone is different.

A lot of folk near us are shifting down to one car. They’ve always had two cars less than 3 years old on the drives up until now.

To be honest it’s quite nice and could be great if they keep it that way as the streets aren’t clogged up with loads of vehicles.

How have lender rates gone so high here now?

BoE rate is 2.5% and a 10 yr fixed for what I'm looking for is 5.39% now.

In Ireland for example (same amount & LTV) you can get a 10 yr deal at 2.85% Fixed rate (with an ECB rate of 1.25%).

Are we being ripped off here?

In Ireland for example (same amount & LTV) you can get a 10 yr deal at 2.85% Fixed rate (with an ECB rate of 1.25%).

The Irish economy mustn’t be forecasting future rate rises as a way of curbing inflation.

The rates being offered basically factor in future increases in the base rate.

IMO we are in the middle of the panic/storm - I think this will settle in NY, one next media shitstorm comes along

so often they'll choose the wrong option purely because it gets them a lower payment for a couple of years (for example, take a 30 year mortgage instead of 25 years).
Frustrates the life out of me. Shorter term will cost you far less overall. If you have the disposable income (which I appreciate for many may not currently be the case) use it to get the mortgage down. You can still have a life but that £50-£100 saving per month isn’t going to give you that extra holiday to the Maldives.

I mean if you can afford a McLaren you’re doing okay :lol:
I was curious. I looked at finance on a mclaren. No looking guess how much

I promised I'd do that actually. Svr v base

Last edited:

Have they really outpaced wages by much over the last ten years?

Have they really outpaced wages by much over the last ten years?

Someone did a “real world” interest rate and it was equivalent to what it was in the 80s because house prices and wages have changed so much. I’ll try and find it
I was curious. I looked at finance on a mclaren. No looking guess how much

I promised I'd do that actually. Svr v base

Well I got quoted £900+ for a Taycan and that was salary sacrifice all inclusive so let’s say £1.8k for a McLaren

(I was not seriously considering the Taycan, as losing £900 a month would probably take me below NMW and also I’d like to be able to afford food and rent)

Last edited:

Back