Morgan comments

The Rat

Striker
What do people think of This

Eoin Morgan: Players could quit tours if Covid-19 bubble is too much

I accept what hes saying, but not if he’s still doing IPL. If he or someone else missed an England tour because of “burn out” but still plays a full IPL then the argument totally falls apart for me

I’m talking about the ones under central contract, don’t accept the offer from the ECB if you are going to pick and choose tours

What do people think of This

I accept what hes saying, but not if he’s still doing IPL. If he or someone else missed an England tour because of “burn out” but still plays a full IPL then the argument totally falls apart for me

I’m talking about the ones under central contract, don’t accept the offer from the ECB if you are going to pick and choose tours
Don't know why this SA tour is going ahead in the first place. With it just being White-Ball games, you'd think they'd just put it back a year or maybe play it in England next year.

I think you just have to accept that bubbles are f***ing awful for the players - basically every team who came here this summer (men and women) have said they struggled with it - their results all tailed off the longer it went on as well.

If they want to opt out then FairPlay in my opinion. They’re only human.

Don't forget India rule world cricket. Big money. It will show, if it comes to it, the money grabbers against the unfashionable ones who want to play for their country.

I think you just have to accept that bubbles are f***ing awful for the players - basically every team who came here this summer (men and women) have said they struggled with it - their results all tailed off the longer it went on as well.

Yeah, I’m sure they are. But the point is that the sympathy lessens somewhat if they go off to play franchise cricket for the rest of the year.

Mental well-being is clearly huge, and I’m not dismissing it, but the life of a franchise cricketer is a bit of a bubble under normal circumstances
Don't know why this SA tour is going ahead in the first place. With it just being White-Ball games, you'd think they'd just put it back a year or maybe play it in England next year.
Absolutely this, it’s such a short series relatively that the faff almost isn’t worth it

Aye, but not for the expense of the IPL like

it just contradicts your whole point.

I don't know what it's like for all players but I know Buttler has his family with him in Dubai so I imagine it's easier for him there than 10 weeks or whatever it was he spent in the bubble in the summer. Also, we don't know what's going on in people's lives, might be fine being over in the IPL now but if their wife in particular or another close relative gets sick they may start feeling guilty about not being around or you might just get weary of being away for so long with so little interaction outside the bubble. Maybe their wives and kids end up missing them too much which eats away at you. I get what you and the op are saying but I think it would be a tough one to criticise. I wouldn't say I've ever been depressed but I know over the last 6 months there are some days I've felt lower than others, we all have our breaking points.

Setting aside the IPL issue, I think it's great that the leader of the squad is saying they'll put the man before the player with no consequences, I know I'd love to hear that from my captain.

I don't know what it's like for all players but I know Buttler has his family with him in Dubai so I imagine it's easier for him there than 10 weeks or whatever it was he spent in the bubble in the summer. Also, we don't know what's going on in people's lives, might be fine being over in the IPL now but if their wife in particular or another close relative gets sick they may start feeling guilty about not being around or you might just get weary of being away for so long with so little interaction outside the bubble. Maybe their wives and kids end up missing them too much which eats away at you. I get what you and the op are saying but I think it would be a tough one to criticise. I wouldn't say I've ever been depressed but I know over the last 6 months there are some days I've felt lower than others, we all have our breaking points.

Setting aside the IPL issue, I think it's great that the leader of the squad is saying they'll put the man before the player with no consequences, I know I'd love to hear that from my captain.
I think you hit the nail on the head, players in the bubble couldnt see familly for weeks and in some cases months where as in the IPL they could take their familly with them, Joe Root spent weeks away after his child was born to fulfil his playing commitments, whilst its not unusual for a cricketer to be away from home them issues are now heightened as even the home games could potentially be classed as a tour due to the bubbles meaning some players could be away for 7 or 8 months from their familly, that for anyone is tough never mind those who have familly commitments

Last edited:
There was an article on Cricinfo with Steve Elworthy, head of operations at the ECB. He basically said that carrying on with the bubbles into next summer was unsustainable and not something they wanted to do. The IPL has shown that it’s possible to put on a series safely without the extreme measures we went to, and with families staying with the players, so perhaps they won’t have to use it for home series again. It’s India touring next year so the ECB and BCCI should be well placed to organise something similar for that series next year you would say

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head, players in the bubble couldnt see familly for weeks and in some cases months where as in the IPL they could take their familly with them, Joe Root spent weeks away after his child was born to fulfil his playing commitments, whilst its not unusual for a cricketer to be away from home them issues are now heightened as even the home games could potentially be classed as a tour due to the bubbles meaning some players could be away for 7 or 8 months from their familly, that for anyone is tough never mind those who have familly commitments

questions have to be asked really why we have forced them to bubble like that, if in the IPL they don't have to, and tbf in this country normal people don't have to. i go to work every day,, i don't have to live in some weird holiday camp with only the people from my work there

questions have to be asked really why we have forced them to bubble like that, if in the IPL they don't have to, and tbf in this country normal people don't have to. i go to work every day,, i don't have to live in some weird holiday camp with only the people from my work there
It’s probably a daft government requirement again

Dubai has far greater control over covid than we do in the UK, that has to have a huge bearing on what we are capable of doing.

Dubai has far greater control over covid than we do in the UK, that has to have a huge bearing on what we are capable of doing.

sure, but what about in this country? is the entire SAFC squad permanently camped at the AoL? Is everyone who works in tesco housed in a premier inn somewhere unable to see their family?

sure, but what about in this country? is the entire SAFC squad permanently camped at the AoL? Is everyone who works in tesco housed in a premier inn somewhere unable to see their family?
I hear what you're saying, I guess that when they started football wasn't back and the country was on lockdown so they had to go overkill at the time. Maybe they can be more relaxed about it next year. The only thing I think that needs considering is that the cricketers spend all day together then spend 5/6 days together in a hotel so if one of them gets it the chances of multiple players getting it is far greater because of that amount of time they spend together. Are footballers still being told to get changed away from training, train then leave on their own pretty much? That kind of thing really helps limit the interaction but doesn't exist because of the nature of a test match.

I think England do need to invite families into the bubble but that will depend on their families own circumstances which may include having their own jobs, kids schooling, caring for others etc so it going to be applicable to some but not others so even then won't solve the full problem and may even increase tensions. The reason they do it is all down to money when Archer got caught sneaking home all the repercussions were about money and how much it would have cost the ecb had the test match been cancelled due to a Covid breakout. ultimately if they remove the bubbles people, Broadcasters and the relevant cricket boards will have to accept matches get cancelled or postponed and schedules tinkered with, ultimately its probably with the Broadcasters to decide

I'm sympathetic as anyone to that stuff, and there is much more to life than a game of cricket, but the simple fact is lads on ECB central contracts shouldn't be missing tours when they are going on a full 2month long IPL one, sorry like, but not sure I am moveable on that, they do have a choice

Yeah I like Morgan speaking like this, but I can't help think he is slightly talking about himself, one major stain on his captaincy for me was him not going to Bangladesh, not sure you can ask players to do something you aren't willing to do, it was a really fiery tour too, led by Buttler and Stokes, who were proper leaders that tour.

Just my opinion like, and I am not normally one to complain about things like this, as sportsman get far too much stick.

I'm sympathetic as anyone to that stuff, and there is much more to life than a game of cricket, but the simple fact is lads on ECB central contracts shouldn't be missing tours when they are going on a full 2month long IPL one, sorry like, but not sure I am moveable on that, they do have a choice
If they say it's due to physical burn out I totally agree, but I don't think you can predict when the mental side might get on top of you so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they say it's due to physical burn out I totally agree, but I don't think you can predict when the mental side might get on top of you so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Its the same, mental burn out because they've been away too long is fine, but not really helpful when they have just spent 2 months away for the IPL

Back