Moeen Ali

This is how feel too. I dont have to look far. My nephew couldn't say a good word about him. "Shite part time bowler who is a hit and miss batter". Even when he was doing well. He couldn't give him any praise and couldn't wait for a bad game to stick the oar in. I guess other people thought like this.

Case in point.

You f***ing what? Are you serious?

I dunno why you even tried to respond in a constructive way. Anyone who thinks Mo hasn't put any top performances in with bat and ball... need to quite frankly give up watching the sport.
Didn't say he hasn't had any but his record is poor

Got criticism because he was in truly dreadful form, is consistently inconsistent and tends to get out in a weak manner in pressure situations. He’s a very talented cricketer but was deservedly dropped and should fight his way back into the team.

Interview with Moeen was on between innings, in the odi and he stated he was completely burnt out prior to his departure from the test team

he has had a complete break, spending time with his family which he stated has helped greatly. He read none of the criticism initially and received none internally but as his career progressed he did start reading.

he feels fully back now though and wants to contribute again in all formats.

i hope he succeeds

I like Moeen as a cricketer, think he still has a lot to offer but he needs to be honest about his role in the team and what is expected of him. This whole "he's the 2nd spinner in the team" bollocks when they shoe-horned Liam Dawson in to the side to protect his mental frailties should have been a massive red flag to everyone watching. He isn't a good enough batsman to get in the top 6, so unless he's a frontline spinner he doesn't get in the team. As for this "I'm the first to get blamed" nonsense he came out with..................

From 104 test innings, 64 have been 7,8 and 9.

or 70 if you look at 6 downwards

Thats 5 times as many tons as Buttler in tests from similar positions (and lower as 29 innings were at 8 and 4 at 9)

The vast vast majority of his batting in ODIs is at 7. 55/82

Where he strikes at 100+
Just think his record isn't very good batting or bowling

Sorry but can't agree with that.

Test Cricket, you play your best side, no exceptions. Especially since we need a 3-0 here to have any chance of progressing in the WTC.

Moeen is the best spinner in the country. He plays.

We'll do exceptionally well to get a 3-0 mind. There's only 2 tests.

His record is awful especially in odis

Is this a wind-up? His test record is anything but awful. 191 test wickets, 5 hundreds, 14 fifties is awful now eh?

I can name about five matches off the top of my head he's won Stokes-style pretty much on his own.

I think on the criticism, he has it wrong - but it's nearly there. I don't think he copped more than others when out of form - everyone gets it. What I do think however, is that people never appreciated his talent fully when he was playing well; that he has less credit in the bank that he deserves. Slightly different point, but can see why he felt undervalued. People have always viewed him as a stop-gap, or a lot of people have anyway.

Last edited:
No co-incidence that when Bairstow and Ali were settled at 7 and 8, they were a strength in the team. Along with Stokes, the best lower middle in world cricket that bailed out the top order over and over again. Who could have predicted that messing them around would ruin something good?

Is this a wind-up? His test record is anything but awful. 191 test wickets, 5 hundreds, 14 fifties is awful now eh?

I can name about five matches off the top of my head he's won Stokes-style pretty much on his own.

I think on the criticism, he has it wrong - but it's nearly there. I don't think he copped more than others when out of form - everyone gets it. What I do think however, is that people never appreciated his talent fully when he was playing well; that he has less credit in the bank that he deserves. Slightly different point, but can see why he felt undervalued. People have always viewed him as a stop-gap, or a lot of people have anyway.

That's my view too mate.

Even though your less in the bank comment is spot on. Can Moeen not infer that as getting picked on the 1st in defeats?

If we took this thread as a snap poll for the rest of country. He could have a point. People actually thinking hes been awful?

No co-incidence that when Bairstow and Ali were settled at 7 and 8, they were a strength in the team. Along with Stokes, the best lower middle in world cricket that bailed out the top order over and over again. Who could have predicted that messing them around would ruin something good?

If Bairstow sorts his technique out and Ali sorts his head out, they may be back there before long.

Fair question about whether they will, particularly Bairstow - lot of work needed in the nets for me.

Back