Missing Out On Targets

chrisb606

Subs Bench
Loads of news outlets are saying that we are being beaten to targets, and I see fans getting frustrated.

But when you look at who we've actually signed and who they're reporting we are being "beaten" to, I don't see much truth in it.

Look at Ipswich for example, they've signed:

Rekeem Harper
Matt Penney
Joe Pigott
Lee Evans
Wes Burns
Scott Fraser
Macauley Bonne
Vaclav Hladky
Elkan Baggott

So they've done a lot of business but haven't really improved the quality of their team. Not one of them is a stand out player who we would be after in my opinion.

My point is that fans shouldn't be getting frustrated by these articles, most of them are made up tripe.

Loads of news outlets are saying that we are being beaten to targets, and I see fans getting frustrated.

But when you look at who we've actually signed and who they're reporting we are being "beaten" to, I don't see much truth in it.

Rekeem Harper
Matt Penney
Joe Pigott
Lee Evans
Wes Burns
Scott Fraser
Macauley Bonne
Vaclav Hladky
Elkan Baggott

So they've done a lot of business but haven't really improved the quality of their team. Not one of them is a stand out player who we would be after in my opinion.

My point is that fans shouldn't be getting frustrated by these articles, most of them are made up tripe.

I'm sorry but Harper Burns Fraser Hladlky would all improve us

I would have liked us to have gone for Scott Fraser based on his stats from last season, but hopefully Pritchard will add some creativity we need

Rekeem Harper
Matt Penney
Joe Pigott
Lee Evans
Wes Burns
Scott Fraser
Macauley Bonne
Vaclav Hladky
Elkan Baggott

Isn’t that the lad who sweats a lot on stage?

I would be intrigued to know how many players we have missed out on to other clubs thus far. I would suspect it's very few of those the press are claiming and very few to other teams in this division (maybe except Ipswich and Sheff Weds), if any.

It happens at every club in every league.

Journalists want transfer stories, clubs want discretion so the journalists (and fans) put 2 & 2 together and make 5.

Now and again their stab in the dark is correct but it would be unusual if that never happened.

99 per cent of reports end up not happening. Journalists need to report stuff, reality has very little to do with most of them.

I would play Gooch or Diamond over Burns any day, and Hladlky in unproven outside of league two in England, Burge may have his moments but he also kept 18 clean sheets I think it was.
Diamond is awful. Don't think the lads good enough personally and we need more than 2 wingers

Anyone watching the playoff final can see Hladlky is a quality keeper. They've got a bargain there.

Holding my hands up I'm concerned that we haven't signed any full backs or strikers but I don't for one minute believe we have missed out on a lot of players.

I'm hoping that we are showing some ambition and going for players who may think they have a chance of clubs playing at a higher level and exploring all optons as opposed to throwing money at players who are established at league 1 level and no higher.

It could be risky and mean we end up short of players but its a better strategy than the one we have used and kept us in this league

Harper and Fraser would have been positively received but not sure they are that much better. The rest are fairly meh but good league one sides are littered with average but reliable players- Ipswich could be a threat if just two or three of those work out. That said they’ve lost one or two that are arguably better than they’ve recruited.

Back