Miners strike 1984

The striking miner who couldn’t afford to bury his week old child & been given no financial assistance from the state due to being involved in industrial action.He was offered if agreed to share a coffin with somebody who could afford a funeral.
This was distressing to listen to & a marker to how far Thatcher was willing to go for victory in crushing organised labour.

The striking miner who couldn’t afford to bury his week old child & been given no financial assistance from the state due to being involved in industrial action.He was offered if agreed to share a coffin with somebody who could afford a funeral.
This was distressing to listen to & a marker to how far Thatcher was willing to go for victory in crushing organised labour.
Awful to listen to, can't imagine how that family have felt for the past 40 years

Just caught up with episode 3 of the C4 series. The fact the working miners movement were and are so unrepentant. Got invited to tea with Thatcher. Sickening!

Not much gets to me me and ive seen some horrific stuff online but that really touched and upset me.

Just got round to watching this, the lad who lost his child, Dave Roper - did some really good videos at the Big Meeting a couple of years ago on his Twitter page but I can’t for the life of me remember what his handle is or where to find the content.

Anyone know what I’m on about?
Not sure about his twitter account , but he posts lots of videos on you tube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DonkeyDave269

Been a canny bit anniversary stuff going on this weekend

Last edited:
Been a canny bit anniversary stuff going on this weekend

Just been reading the middle one, one of the women became the mayor of Sunderland, you could cry when you see what the families went through.

Orgeave is/was still a national disgrace.
I’m just watching the Orgreave episode on ch4, fuck me I’m stunned. If people still wonder why Thatcher and the tories are still hated 4 decades later, watch Miners’ Strike 1984, The battle for Britain on C4.
The mental thing is I know there’s some on here that would to love to see a repeat of this at peaceful demonstrations now. Horrifying.

Back