Mikey Holding

Michael Holding is one of the best sports broadcasters of all time, and he has spoken on race issues with eloquence throught this

this is another example of this, but the way he talks with increasing option throughout this is brilliant, so powerful

I really struggle reading the replies to this on twitter, it seems like decent comment sense, but lads take offence etc, sad world, very sad.

how can anyone watch that and disagree or get mad etc? hundreds do though.

I want to school in Durham, pretty working class down, no education, people are racist as fuck

I know people who will have watched that and thought "ffs not again"
I don’t see why thinking that would make you racist.
I’d explain my thoughts on why, but I believe it’d be better keeping politics off this forum, as I do with sport as a whole.

I don’t see why thinking that would make you racist.
I’d explain my thoughts on why, but I believe it’d be better keeping politics off this forum, as I do with sport as a whole.

Well I agree in as I dont want to fall out with people

But if you can watch Mikey's speech and not agree with it, then I'm sorry, that is your problem.

Well I agree in as I dont want to fall out with people

But if you can watch Mikey's speech and not agree with it, then I'm sorry, that is your problem.
That’s fine. Some of it I agree with, some of it I don’t. It’s not a problem for me. I also like Michael Holding immensely, think he comes across as a decent bloke and think what he adds as a cricket commentator is, more often than not, terrific.

That said, I am at a stage where I’m thinking ‘not again’, but again, that does not make me a racist.

That’s fine. Some of it I agree with, some of it I don’t. It’s not a problem for me. I also like Michael Holding immensely, think he comes across as a decent bloke and think what he adds as a cricket commentator is, more often than not, terrific.

That said, I am at a stage where I’m thinking ‘not again’, but again, that does not make me a racist.

Fair play, probs not worth going forward on a cricket forum like

just touched me massively, and thought he was spot on.

full clip

builds himself up, legend.

Last edited:
Fair play, probs not worth going forward on a cricket forum like

just touched me massively, and thought he was spot on.
Probably not, like I said politics and sport are best kept separate imo.

Not sure if it’s in that clip or not but personally I found his comments on Jesus/Judas and Blackwash vs Whitewash to be contentious and the references to studies involving 130 teachers and the woman in Central Park to be nebulous.

Probably not, like I said politics and sport are best kept separate imo.

Not sure if it’s in that clip or not but personally I found his comments on Jesus/Judas and Blackwash vs Whitewash to be contentious and the references to studies involving 130 teachers and the woman in Central Park to be nebulous.

woah woah woah woah!!!!

nah mate you are bang wrong about the woman in central park!!! What the fuck are you on about???

you know that story right?

thats one of the most racist things I have ever heard of, an absolute disgrace and he is post on

she thought she could cry wolf just because he was black and she was white

confused

woah woah woah woah!!!!

nah mate you are bang wrong about the woman in central park!!! What the fuck are you on about???

you know that story right?

thats one of the most racist things I have ever heard of, an absolute disgrace and he is post on

she thought she could cry wolf just because he was black and she was white

confused
Racism is awful, I’m not saying it’s not. I’m just not sure what place all that has on a cricket broadcast. Right mate, since you’re getting sweary and say you don’t want to fall out, I’ll leave it there.

Mike is a good commentator and bloke. However, I thought his speech was a bit rambling and stretching the truth in parts.

Fair enough Jesus does (wrongly) look white in a lot of paintings but I have never seen Judas depicted as black? Maybe he rarely is which is wrong but not generally.

The invention of electric lighting has been debated. Obviously I think Joseph Swan from Sunderland is the man. Others think Edison. Someone who improved the original design is rarely widely credited whether black or white.

John Logie Baird invented television. I have no idea who invented colour TV, flat screens etc?

Fantasic bloke and commentator.

Some people don't see the problem or even accept that racism is ingrained in the system, or that everyday racism is a thing, or think that the problem is being overblown. We have some on (other parts of) this board, unfortunately.

Which proves Mikey's point, even if they won't accept it.

I remember an England batsman being given out to an appalling umpiring decision after being surrounded by appealing players. Michael Holding said that the batsman and England team ought to accept the umpire's decision in the spirit of the game. Quick as a flash, Geoff Boycott asks "What, like you in New Zealand?" :lol:

That moment, his response when you ask him about Twenty20, and the subject of race are the only times off the field when I've heard Michael Holding go from laid back expert to fierece, proud and animated orator. Either way he's someone to always aspire to be.

Mike is a good commentator and bloke. However, I thought his speech was a bit rambling and stretching the truth in parts.

Fair enough Jesus does (wrongly) look white in a lot of paintings but I have never seen Judas depicted as black? Maybe he rarely is which is wrong but not generally.

The invention of electric lighting has been debated. Obviously I think Joseph Swan from Sunderland is the man. Others think Edison. Someone who improved the original design is rarely widely credited whether black or white.

John Logie Baird invented television. I have no idea who invented colour TV, flat screens etc?
Excellent summation. Mikey is hugely respected amongst the cricket fraternity and spoke eloquently and clearly from the heart. The examples he cited, however, took place outside this country. Presumably he was educated in Jamaica, Jesus and Judas are both always portrayed the same in my experience -long haired, bearded,dark skinned. Certainly the incident with the black man in the swimming pool is abhorrent but it happened generations ago in Jamaica.As Mikey rightly said,there needs to be education in BOTH sides, what is interpreted as offensive on one side is not intended to be from the other side.
On the lighter side Mikey said that he's never experienced racism when on the cricket field from the players. You'd have to be pretty stupid to abuse him knowing that he'd be bowling at you at some stage in the game.

I still remember a forceful, and incorrect as you can get, opinion piece from Holding in the Racing Post (I think), stating that "it is beyond me how he ever scores a run in test cricket" about a young Alistair Cook. Oh dear!

Back