Michael Holding retires from commentating

I enjoyed Botham at times, and Gower for me was a superb anchor who I’ve missed since he left.

Bob was superb, huge miss
I never really watch outside of play so I don't miss Gower cos I just didn't really watch when he was on.

I like the commentators to provide me with insight and point out things that as a layman I might not think about. I never felt you got that with Botham, I'm sure this is harsh but he never struck me as a student of the game or at least he didn't communicate that to me.

I never really watch outside of play so I don't miss Gower cos I just didn't really watch when he was on.

I like the commentators to provide me with insight and point out things that as a layman I might not think about. I never felt you got that with Botham, I'm sure this is harsh but he never struck me as a student of the game or at least he didn't communicate that to me.

Nah makes complete sense with what you say re Botham. Got on my tits at times, but I did enjoy his commentary stints at times.

I’ve seen a tweet where a Sky Sports producer is denying this. I also haven’t seen anything from Sky Sports Cricket yet so maybe it’s not true. It all seems to hinge on what he said on Desert Island Discs I think.

It did seem odd that there are no official quotes from Holding confirming his retirement and there's nothing on Sky Sports News website.

Maybe he was planning to announce it and someone has jumped the gun. No doubt we'll know for certain in a few days.

It did seem odd that there are no official quotes from Holding confirming his retirement and there's nothing on Sky Sports News website.

Maybe he was planning to announce it and someone has jumped the gun. No doubt we'll know for certain in a few days.
This was the original denial I saw. Wisden call him a producer but apparently he’s head of cricket at Sky.

Genuinely disappointed. Been listening to him literally since my first test match

surely they will get him in for 1 day next year?

I was upset when gower left too mind

I know people bemoan the paywall and I do agree

but I’ve always watched sky and paid for it (and my dad) basically to watch the cricket and the coverage is the best in sport

I’ve heard he was on desert island discs so look forward to that
‘Runs’

:lol:

the brain just says it like him.

it’s probably the sound I wanna hear just before I die

Ian bell hitting a crisp cover drive off the middle of the bat

Mikey holding saying that
Gutted. Absolutely love the big man

he’s unreal man. What a guy. One of the good guys.
Gutted by this. Gower, Botham, Willis and now Holding we’ve lost off our screens over the last 18 month or so.

Could listen to Holding for hours. As has been said, the voice of the summer for me

forgot about Willis somehow

what a pundit he was

the fact they ended his show as nobody could replace him says it all

holding has both, you need crack, good cricket brain but he also has the aesthetics of a mint sounding voice

as someone with a Durham slur I was always envious

Last edited:

Back