Michael Atherton, Durham article

The address on Google maps is Gateshead and it has an NE postcode rather than a DH like the rest of Washington
Washy has NE post codes - but that means nothing regarding the town. The 'current' boundaries of Sunderland have SR, DH and NE post codes.

And yes, Follingsby is in Gateshead and I have heard of a Metro station mooted for there.

Washy has NE post codes - but that means nothing regarding the town. The 'current' boundaries of Sunderland have SR, DH and NE post codes.

And yes, Follingsby is in Gateshead and I have heard of a Metro station mooted for there.
Yeah, I know they aren't the be all and end all but they're usually a good indicator. Like I said, I grew up in Wardley and always considered that estate to be in Washington, shows what I know.

Border of Gateshead and Sunderland is just east of Wrekenton. You pass the City of Sunderland sign if you come off the A1 there.

He normally doesn't have a good word to say about durham so will be interesting to read, always seems ready with a dig or two
First thing that came to my mind when I saw the threat title. Loves a dig about Collingwood too (along the lines of him being an overachiever).
Nice to hear this article has a more positive slant

Last edited:
Like this bit
"They are not just the most northerly outpost but also a club who are fuelled by very different ingredients from most southern counties, who rely heavily on links with private schools. Durham’s strength is in their club system and their playing staff will have more state-school representatives than most, and more that have been fashioned in club cricket rather than the schools system.
In that sense, there is more of a distinctive flavour to be found in Durham cricket than most counties. They have a real sense of who they are and whom they represent."

It's also nice to hear of talent coming through from the u15's and u17's. Finger's crossed.

That’s the best bit for me too. Even if it’s not the whole population who play it, it’s still a broad mix who do in the NE.

I’m not anti private schools at all but it’s still great when our lads from the comps beat the rich kids from down South who’ve had all of the pro coaching and facilities.

That’s the best bit for me too. Even if it’s not the whole population who play it, it’s still a broad mix who do in the NE.

I’m not anti private schools at all but it’s still great when our lads from the comps beat the rich kids from down South who’ve had all of the pro coaching and facilities.
This is something that completely confuses me. Apparently "Down South" most First Class cricketers are sourced from Public Schools, which I assume involves Under 18 school boys playing against each other. Whereas in the NE, generally, a promising young cricketer will play club cricket and, if really talented, can start playing First Team cricket at around 15 years old. This will be against a mix of good amateur cricketers, pros and ex-pros no quarter asked none given. Cant understand how playing cricket against other school boys of your same age can possibly be the same experience.

Quite suprised by that article by Atherton for as you correctly say he has always found it difficult to say anything positive about us. Even when we were closing in on victory against Hampshire at Lords in 2007 all he seemed to concentrate on was reminiscing about how easy it was to beat us in the early days.

Suprised he never mentioned the sub- Arctic temperatures you get in Chester le Street.
He's been banging the drum for a while.

Dunno what you've been reading and listening to for about 8 years

This is something that completely confuses me. Apparently "Down South" most First Class cricketers are sourced from Public Schools, which I assume involves Under 18 school boys playing against each other. Whereas in the NE, generally, a promising young cricketer will play club cricket and, if really talented, can start playing First Team cricket at around 15 years old. This will be against a mix of good amateur cricketers, pros and ex-pros no quarter asked none given. Cant understand how playing cricket against other school boys of your same age can possibly be the same experience.
They'll be playing both club and schoolboy cricket. Public Schools have lengthier summer holidays,generally 8 weeks, when decent kids will play club cricket. Southern club cricket, however, is nowhere near as competitive as Northern club cricket.

My son is in the current u15 squad and along with 7 others are privately educated. I’d say the ratio in the u17 is around the same, 50/50. Bit of a mix of Barnard Castle, Sedbergh, Durham, RHGS and Newcastle School for Boys.

From 6 that have been picked for Bunbury selection this year, there is only 1 from state education, so I think the private education system is not as disproportionate in the north as people seem to think.

ALL of the boys play club cricket, mainly NEPL 1st/2nd teams. I personally think that the standard of club cricket is the differentiator between north and south - much stronger up here.

My son is in the current u15 squad and along with 7 others are privately educated. I’d say the ratio in the u17 is around the same, 50/50. Bit of a mix of Barnard Castle, Sedbergh, Durham, RHGS and Newcastle School for Boys.

From 6 that have been picked for Bunbury selection this year, there is only 1 from state education, so I think the private education system is not as disproportionate in the north as people seem to think.

ALL of the boys play club cricket, mainly NEPL 1st/2nd teams. I personally think that the standard of club cricket is the differentiator between north and south - much stronger up here.

I was going to post something to this effect. Even within the club system, the best kids also play cricket for private schools. I could name a few examples from Shotley Bridge, where my bairn played. If you're good at cricket you will get a sports scholarship for these schools and that will enable you to play double cricket rather than whatever low cost/effort sports the local comp offers in summer term.

With all due respect to our private schools, however, they aren't in the same league as the likes of Bedford, Wellington, Milfield and Dulwich for elite cricket coaching and if it wasn't for the NE club system, we'd be well behind them in the production of young talent. I was reading an article the other day lauding Somerset for producing great young talent in Byrom, Bartlett, Banton and Lammonby. Two of them went to Kings College, Taunton, a boarding school with outstanding cricketing tradition, one went to Milfield (Nuff said). The other was from a slightly less prestigious boarding school in Devon.

They'll be playing both club and schoolboy cricket. Public Schools have lengthier summer holidays,generally 8 weeks, when decent kids will play club cricket. Southern club cricket, however, is nowhere near as competitive as Northern club cricket.

Quite a sweeping statement if you consider a few things. Why do South Northumberland dominate the NEPL every season and have done for years if it is so competitive? If it was as you describe why don't Northern Counties dominate county cricket? The ECB national club competition has produced as many southern finalists as it has northern in the last 10 years or so. The Middlesex cricket league is arguably the strongest league in the UK mainly because it covers off London. I dare suggest northern clubs produce better seamers but southern clubs produce better batters/spinners a bit similar to county cricket.

Inner cities down South don't have the facilities to play cricket (ie, lack of room and green belt area) whereas private schools do. A lot of cricket is only taught and played in private schools down south hence why a lot of players are from privately educated schools. The school I went to was private and produced James Foster and Nasser Hussain but more recently the likes of Nick Browne, Ravi Bopara, Jamie Porter et al in the essex set up were plucked from club cricket and did not attend private school. More schemes are now in place to teach cricket in inner city state schools down south.

Last edited:
Quite a sweeping statement if you consider a few things. Why do South Northumberland dominate the NEPL every season and have done for years if it is so competitive? If it was as you describe why don't Northern Counties dominate county cricket? The ECB national club competition has produced as many southern finalists as it has northern in the last 10 years or so. The Middlesex cricket league is arguably the strongest league in the UK mainly because it covers off London. I dare suggest northern clubs produce better seamers but southern clubs produce better batters/spinners a bit similar to county cricket.

Inner cities down South don't have the facilities to play cricket (ie, lack of room and green belt area) whereas private schools do. A lot of cricket is only taught and played in private schools down south hence why a lot of players are from privately educated schools. The school I went to was private and produced James Foster and Nasser Hussain but more recently the likes of Nick Browne, Ravi Bopara, Jamie Porter et al in the essex set up were plucked from club cricket and did not attend private school. More schemes are now in place to teach cricket in inner city state schools down south.
The top 100 cricketing schools in 2021 according to The Cricketer. The vast majority are private but there is a sprinkling of state schools, including Shenfield High School in Essex.

Quite a sweeping statement if you consider a few things. Why do South Northumberland dominate the NEPL every season and have done for years if it is so competitive? If it was as you describe why don't Northern Counties dominate county cricket?

Prior to Durham’s demotion, we had the longest unbroken run in Division One of any other county, it’s impossible to say what would have happened in the intervening years had we not been Graves’d BUT following our maiden Championship win in 2008, a Northern* county won the title 8 years running before Middlesex broke the stranglehold with that infamous last day win over Yorkshire.

It’s also worth remembering that in the period from the 2005 Ashes right up until that 2016 demotion, Durham produced more Test Cricketers for England than any other county except for Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. Which is, another nod to the strength of cricket and cricketers in the North.

I’m also absolutely certain, it’s another reason why Yorkshire haven’t won it more than they have. Especially that 2016 campaign where Middlesex took it, take 3/4 of the best players out of any county staff and they’ll struggle massively. You just have to look at how much Surrey are struggling this year without the Curran lads to see that.

In terms of your statement, I’m pretty sure the evidence suggests that Northern Counties DO and have dominated county cricket for a substantial period of time now.

*Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire won it once each and granted, are in the midlands, but in any North/South split, they’d be in the Northern group.

Last edited:

Back