Metros After The Match

Getting one straight after the match for the first time ever on Saturday.

Am I making this up, or do they not stop at the Stadium of Light towards Newcastle & everybody needs to get on at St Peter’s? Got a feeling I’ve read it somewhere. Dropping the bairn off at my Mam’s straight after & she’s round the corner from the SoL metro.

Am I making this up, or do they not stop at the Stadium of Light towards Newcastle & everybody needs to get on at St Peter’s? Got a feeling I’ve read it somewhere. Dropping the bairn off at my Mam’s straight after & she’s round the corner from the SoL metro.
If you heading north you can't get on a St Peters.
You HAVE to get on at SOL Metro (or the Town)

Ah, so I got it the opposite way around?!

Hopefully by the time I’ve got out of the ground, dropped the bairn off & me & owa lass get back round the crowd should have died down a bit.
Yeah mate
I I've only done this the once and thst was stoke last season
(I didn't even know we'd lost by 5, I left at 3-0 :lol: till a stoke fan told us)
Crowds normally die down within an hour I found ahyway

SOL, northbound. St Peter’s, southbound. I’ve only had to do it once or twice, this was to head to Newcastle for nights out, and while it was rammed and a queue to get to the platform it was okay. Can’t remember if we left a few mins early as well like.

On a different note it’s interesting seeing where people (our fans I mean) get off. There’s still a canny few on even after Newcastle Central Station and plenty get off at the likes of Felling and Heworth.

Depending on time you can sometimes get southbound from St Peter's and catch an earlier northbound from Sunderland doubling back.

Hopefully by the time I’ve got out of the ground, dropped the bairn off & me & owa lass get back round the crowd should have died down a bit.
If you stay til the end there'll be no one left anyhow. Watch out for carrier bags that are frantically blowing around in the wind as I saw a fella get caught in one at the Huddersfield game and not seen him since.

SOL, northbound. St Peter’s, southbound. I’ve only had to do it once or twice, this was to head to Newcastle for nights out, and while it was rammed and a queue to get to the platform it was okay. Can’t remember if we left a few mins early as well like.

On a different note it’s interesting seeing where people (our fans I mean) get off. There’s still a canny few on even after Newcastle Central Station and plenty get off at the likes of Felling and Heworth.
That's cos loads of us live in Gosforth.
Ilford Road/South Gosforth/Regent Centre.
We're easy to spot aside from the odd flash of red and white, we tend to be better dressed :lol:

It's pretty easy I've done it a few times this season back to Gateshead. You can get a jog on to make sure you get the first one.

One thing I'd say is buy a ticket in advance, as they seem to hold a lot of people back to stop the platform getting crowded, then let you on when the train arrives. Expect a lot of people bump it if only on a few stops.

If you stay until the end of the match, you'll likely beat the queues :rolleyes:

Haven't been able to make much use of the Metro this season due to all the works and system issues. We're usually last ones out to Whitley Bay but see a fair few staying on until South Gosforth.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why you can't get on at St Peters, seems strange. I've asked their security blocking the way on the stairs, but the question seems quite challenging to them and still don't know.

Does anyone know why you can't get on at St Peters, seems strange. I've asked their security blocking the way on the stairs, but the question seems quite challenging to them and still don't know.
Trying to manage the crowd flow & safety I believe, as long as I remember it's been Northbound - go to SoL station, Southbound - go to St Peters.

SoL metro often has long queues but there's plenty of space to stick people and block further access to the platform - St Peters you'd have safety issues with the stairs

How long does it take to get from SoL station to Newcastle? Is it quicker in a taxi?

In BCB so crowds will have gone by the time we’re leaving.

Got a train from Newcastle back to Leeds at 8pm.

If going to newcastle I would recommend going up to sunderland. It tends to be quieter and you are already on before all the rush
Can’t really do that mate as I’m over Newcastle Rd, not far from the old baths to drop the bairn off after the match. I’m guessing if I get a quick walk on I can get to me mams & back over the SoL metro station for 5:30pm & there’ll have been 2/3 already left.
How long does it take to get from SoL station to Newcastle? Is it quicker in a taxi?

In BCB so crowds will have gone by the time we’re leaving.

Got a train from Newcastle back to Leeds at 8pm.
Just under 30mins when on there.
It's pretty easy I've done it a few times this season back to Gateshead. You can get a jog on to make sure you get the first one.

One thing I'd say is buy a ticket in advance, as they seem to hold a lot of people back to stop the platform getting crowded, then let you on when the train arrives. Expect a lot of people bump it if only on a few stops.
Got idea that. Might get a couple of day savers on the morning.

Back